Weight training belts

Options
angelabrennanfok
angelabrennanfok Posts: 2 Member
edited December 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, can anyone recommend a good weight training belt. I have seen some on line but unsure.
Angela 😀

Replies

• jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Nearly any belt will work, Angela. Dont be 'sold' some hype - any belt that let's you push your abs against something is good.

Some points .....

Unless you are well over 6 feet tall, a belt wider than 4" is a bad idea. In fact, I dare say people under 5'10" or so (me) are fine with a 3" wide belt.
    A belt supports your ABS, not you back.

Unless you have a specific need to wear one, I recommend NOT using a belt.
    I have one, but only time I wear it is heavy (for me) deadlifts. The bt.makes no difference on the lift, just reminds.me.to keep the back flat.

You can get a decent belt on amazon for $30-35. Roller buckles are easier to adjust quickly, but I like the lever buckle for fast off n on.

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Firstly what are you using it for? (There are different belts for powerlifting, weightlifting, benching or crossfit.) Secondly, can you try any of your friends’? There can be a big difference in comfort levels between 3 and 4 inch belts and leather vs neoprene. I wasted money on my first belt as it just was not right for me, so see if you can try a few on at your local gym first.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Trying one out at the gym or someone you know is good advice, even if all you.learn is wht you.DONT want 🤔
    The rest is that hype.i already warned about.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals and training.
  • Chieflrg
    edited December 2019
    Options
    swierzbik1 wrote: »
    Harbinger.
    But don't use a belt at under 80% of your maxes, focus on developing proper movement patterns and core strength.

There isn't a percentage of a e1rm for someone's working set that is right or wrong time to use a belt as a absolute.

You can work at 70% of a e1rm and get more fatigue than 82% depending on the reps and load accumulated.

Also its perfectly fine to use a belt always, never, or somewhere in between depending on the individual, training history, and goal(s). You still have to use a Valsalva maneuver regardless. One is not more useful than another without knowing more info on the individual.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Thanks
    The only thing I would politely disagree with is that you can always use a belt.
    Can you please elaborate on when and why you shouldn’t use a belt? Thanks...

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    wiigelec wrote: »
    Thanks
    The only thing I would politely disagree with is that you can always use a belt.

Dumb bell curls, totally unacceptable 😂
  • therealmarceline
    therealmarceline Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi Angela, I'm not going to assume anyones gender here but I do think a female perspective could help. I agree with the "too wide" thing. I really hurt my floating rib squatting with a rigid Inzer belt. Even though I think they are Amazing as a 5'3" woman who doesn't carry a screw driver with her to the gym I switched to a Schiek and I'm very happy. Its very flexible and while it doesn't provide any where near the support of the Inzer, it give me something to brace my self against whilst doing squats totally adequately. I find if I have a heavy dead lift/back day I wear a waist trainer with the belt over it. Sometimes the waist trainer alone is fine. For reference I squat up to 135 and dead up to 175 obvi I'm always trying for more! Having support def helps me feel more confident. Get it girl!
  • Chieflrg
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Harbinger.
    But don't use a belt at under 80% of your maxes, focus on developing proper movement patterns and core strength.

There isn't a percentage of a e1rm for someone's working set that is right or wrong time to use a belt as a absolute.

You can work at 70% of a e1rm and get more fatigue than 82% depending on the reps and load accumulated.

Also its perfectly fine to use a belt always, never, or somewhere in between depending on the individual, training history, and goal(s). You still have to use a Valsalva maneuver regardless. One is not more useful than another without knowing more info on the individual.

Agree with (almost) everything you said, but considering somebody asked basic question about lifting belt, I am assuming we are not talking about expefienced lifter in which case 80% is pretty decent %. I am fully aware that it is totally dependent on individual. The only thing I would politely disagree with is that you can always use a belt.

Inexperienced lifters don't have a known max because if they tested it(which really is silly) the test itself would actually be sufficient enough useful stress make that test obsolete since they have the ability to get stronger every session.
    Thanks

As stated above, this is a very personalised thing, but in general I would never use a belt on anything that is not a compound movement and at under 80% of your 1RM. Why would you made your core work less? To chase ego lifts

It depends on the training and programming. It certainly doesn't equate to working less. If used properly one can lift higher intensity and it may help maintain a more rigid back than if they didn't have a belt at the same weight. I assure you when I squat with a belt at RPE 8 with a belt...my core is utilized nearly identical as when I'm belt less at RPE8. The only difference is the weight on my back. Same muscle recruitment and exertion though.

A set of squats of 10 reps at 71% e1rm is way more stressful and fatigueing to a individual then a set of 3 reps at 84%. Both are fine to wear or not wear a belt regardless. Pertaining I lean towards wearing a belt within some programming when we are RPE7 or higher regardless of max percentage.

One may wear a belt at lower percentage for several reasons.
    1. Higher fatiguing sets.
    2. A injury that the belt allows them to train at a intenisity opposed to something they can't beltless.
    3. Breaking in a stiffer belt.
    4. Programing that calls for a belt for a certain lift.
    5. Placebo effect that they happen to feel more confident in performing the lift.

None of these I consider ego lifting.

Like I mentioned previously a lifter has to do the exact same maneuver with a belt or not. The belt "may" allow for a higher intensity or exertion which is perfectly fine if that is programmed for their goals.

The problem I have with you percentage threshold is there is no context of fatigue of the set, using auto regulation, or the programming specifically to the goal of a individual.

Belt use is so nuanced and honestly I rather one trains with a belts always, never, or somewhere in between as long as the person trains. This is why if a person didn't have a goal of being strong AF but insisted on using a belt, I wouldn't say its a terrible idea if that was the only way the would train.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I use a 2 prong stiff leather belt. I think it's about 3"wide across the back, but it tapers down narrower in the front. I mostly use it for heavier deadlifts, but sometimes need some support on squats.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I use an Inzer single-prong (5'5" female).

Also, Greg Nuckols very recently put out an awesome article, "the Belt Bible," definitely worth a read IMO: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/the-belt-bible/
  • angelabrennanfok
    Options
    Hi Angela, I'm not going to assume anyones gender here but I do think a female perspective could help. I agree with the "too wide" thing. I really hurt my floating rib squatting with a rigid Inzer belt. Even though I think they are Amazing as a 5'3" woman who doesn't carry a screw driver with her to the gym I switched to a Schiek and I'm very happy. Its very flexible and while it doesn't provide any where near the support of the Inzer, it give me something to brace my self against whilst doing squats totally adequately. I find if I have a heavy dead lift/back day I wear a waist trainer with the belt over it. Sometimes the waist trainer alone is fine. For reference I squat up to 135 and dead up to 175 obvi I'm always trying for more! Having support def helps me feel more confident. Get it girl!

Thank you. 😊
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    Harbinger.

Agree with (almost) everything you said, but considering somebody asked basic question about lifting belt, I am assuming we are not talking about expefienced lifter in which case 80% is pretty decent %. I am fully aware that it is totally dependent on individual. The only thing I would politely disagree with is that you can always use a belt.

Inexperienced lifters don't have a known max because if they tested it(which really is silly) the test itself would actually be sufficient enough useful stress make that test obsolete since they have the ability to get stronger every session.
    Thanks

As stated above, this is a very personalised thing, but in general I would never use a belt on anything that is not a compound movement and at under 80% of your 1RM. Why would you made your core work less? To chase ego lifts

It depends on the training and programming. It certainly doesn't equate to working less. If used properly one can lift higher intensity and it may help maintain a more rigid back than if they didn't have a belt at the same weight. I assure you when I squat with a belt at RPE 8 with a belt...my core is utilized nearly identical as when I'm belt less at RPE8. The only difference is the weight on my back. Same muscle recruitment and exertion though.

A set of squats of 10 reps at 71% e1rm is way more stressful and fatigueing to a individual then a set of 3 reps at 84%. Both are fine to wear or not wear a belt regardless. Pertaining I lean towards wearing a belt within some programming when we are RPE7 or higher regardless of max percentage.

One may wear a belt at lower percentage for several reasons.
    1. Higher fatiguing sets.
    2. A injury that the belt allows them to train at a intenisity opposed to something they can't beltless.
    3. Breaking in a stiffer belt.
    4. Programing that calls for a belt for a certain lift.
    5. Placebo effect that they happen to feel more confident in performing the lift.

None of these I consider ego lifting.

Like I mentioned previously a lifter has to do the exact same maneuver with a belt or not. The belt "may" allow for a higher intensity or exertion which is perfectly fine if that is programmed for their goals.

The problem I have with you percentage threshold is there is no context of fatigue of the set, using auto regulation, or the programming specifically to the goal of a individual.

Belt use is so nuanced and honestly I rather one trains with a belts always, never, or somewhere in between as long as the person trains. This is why if a person didn't have a goal of being strong AF but insisted on using a belt, I wouldn't say its a terrible idea if that was the only way the would train.

Spot on again but I don't think you look at it from a perspective of an avatar we deal in modern society i.e. an average man bitching that he has got calluses after lifting empty barbell. I can see from your pic that you powerlift so what you said applies to you and me (enjoy powerlifting myself, deadlift 300kg, which is not impressive at all but happy considering I do other stuff) but in general population I'd still prefer most part of a training session done without the belt, just my personal opinion being involved in fitness industry my whole life. Don't get me wrong, ALL my clients use belts, we just put them on when the time is right.

It seems we are on same page mostly.

I prefer belt less work for at least 80% of the programming and templates I write.

I'm not suggesting that wearing a belt all the time is optimal training. I'm suggesting if a lifter has general goal of strength and was dead set on wearing or not wearing a belt all the time it won't make or break the training. I can simply adjust the dose of stress and lift selection needed to achieve their goal.