Couch to 5k

Options
Has anyone used this app? I cannot run for the life of me, never have been able to. But I really want to start for health benefits.

I’m also getting my deviated septum fixed next month which will drastically improve my breathing which is why I think it’s so hard for me to run, as well!

So if anyone has insight on this app (or getting into running) I’d appreciate it!

Replies

• Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    It's a fantastic introduction to running. I did it for the first time 15-16 years ago, and developed a love of running that led to signing up for every "fun run", half marathon etc that I could find. My 11 year old daughter has just expressed an interest in running, so I'm now doing it again with her :) She's enjoying it so far, and finding it entirely manageable.
  • Omfrankie3
    Omfrankie3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's a fantastic introduction to running. I did it for the first time 15-16 years ago, and developed a love of running that led to signing up for every "fun run", half marathon etc that I could find. My 11 year old daughter has just expressed an interest in running, so I'm now doing it again with her :) She's enjoying it so far, and finding it entirely manageable.

Thank you!! I’m definitely going to be purchasing
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

I thought there were free apps? I don’t think I paid when I did it, but maybe that’s changed.
  • Omfrankie3
    Omfrankie3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

I thought there were free apps? I don’t think I paid when I did it, but maybe that’s changed.

It’s $2.99 ! (: I didn’t look to see if there are free alternatives, though.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The one I have from Zen Labs was free, though it is prompting me to upgrade to premium. I've had it for years.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I used the free Zen Labs one in 2017 and 2018. They totally work, don't try to jump ahead.
    I still hate running, but now at least I can say I really tried!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I used the NHS free podcasts for c25k- amazing program
  • MsOpus
    MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    After trying a local run club's learn to run program, which I tried 3 times unsuccessfully, I tried C25k. I just finished a couple weeks ago and I am so pleased with my success. I LOVE running now.
    I used the Zen labs. It offers a paid version as well, but not worth paying for it. The free version is just fine.
    Absolutely works!
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I completed the programme about 6 weeks ago. I think I'm one of the few 'graduates' that didn't fall in love with running! I'm really glad I did it, I'm even more glad I finished it and I definitely improved my fitness and got a sense of achievement...... but I still don't enjoy running :smile: It did however give me a fab kickstart to get me back to the gym, which is something I really do enjoy.
    I'd definitely recommend giving it a go. The app I used let me pick Michael Johnson as the voice and he was great.... I genuinely felt chuffed up day when he told me I'd done a good job lol.

ETA: the app was free (and UK based, if that helps).
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I used the NHS free podcasts for c25k- amazing program

Same. I am that runner in my profile. Laura was my 6 AM bestie :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    A C25K is the second thing I did when I got back into health and fitness. I started out just walking and then did the C25K program. It was beneficial in getting me into better cardiovascular shape and I ran a couple of 5Ks. It was also beneficial in teaching me that I'm not really a runner and don't really enjoy it...but I enjoy fitness and got into other things. I'm primarily an avid road cycling enthusiast and mountain bike enthusiast now...but C25K did help me get back into fitness.
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm just finishing up week 2 of this program and I'm loving it! Definitely look for the free app, I'm using the one from Zen Labs.

Top tip I've heard/learned is go slow. Go really, really slow. And don't be afraid to repeat days or even weeks if you need to!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    i used zen labs as well. i liked it the best out of the ones suggested to me. now 4 years later, i've run all distances between 5k to 26.2mi
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Do you have a local running store? Many of them have programs for beginner runners/group runs that are free...some even do C25K.
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Get good shoes. People told me for years that the reason running made me so miserable (shin splints) was because I had the wrong shoes. I was convinced it was because I had the wrong feet. I blew them off because that’s ridiculous you either run without pain, or you’re like me, just not built for it. I finally humored someone who kept insisting and tried, just so I could prove them wrong. Real running shoes, that you bought at a store where they looked at your feet and your stride, actually do make a difference. I run 16 miles a week now without pain and wont run without my running shoes.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    jaymijones wrote: »
    Get good shoes. People told me for years that the reason running made me so miserable (shin splints) was because I had the wrong shoes. I was convinced it was because I had the wrong feet. I blew them off because that’s ridiculous you either run without pain, or you’re like me, just not built for it. I finally humored someone who kept insisting and tried, just so I could prove them wrong. Real running shoes, that you bought at a store where they looked at your feet and your stride, actually do make a difference. I run 16 miles a week now without pain and wont run without my running shoes.

THIS... 100 times this.

And run slowly
  • M1ckab
    M1ckab Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used the free BBC C25k app throughly recommend the program to get started :)
  • gkid8
    gkid8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love the C25K programs. The NHS with Laura is my favorite, but I'm currently working the Zen Labs 10K since I have a 10K in February. What I love about the program(s) is you can have a structure but you can go at your own pace. Repeat the second run in week 5 3 times if you need to. Or start at week 4 if you're not too far off your game.
  • KrakenFan69
    KrakenFan69 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started the app on my phone. I'm doing the run every other day on a treadmill and 30-60 or "power walking" on the treadmill to build up my cardio. I Just started trying to get into shape again and got easily gassed bit the app has made it very manageable.