What has 2019 done for you?

Options

Replies

• jaycanchu
    jaycanchu Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I got divorced for the second time after an extended separation. I had another relationship end, for basically the same reason.
    I have learned that the only person I can really trust is myself, and that is a shaky proposition at best
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Hate to be that downer, but all I've gotten out of 2019 is two dead relatives. And two relatives that everyone liked quite a lot, mind you. Not exactly a great year... but I guess it could be worse.

As far as what I've learned?
    • Never volunteer to head a fundraising campaign on your own. It is a pain, people complain no matter how hard you try and you get next to no thanks for all your hard (FREE) work that no one else is volunteering to do.
    • Loads of people hate kids... but I've honestly gotten to the point where I'd rather be in a room full of fun-loving kids than their parents or a bunch of random adults. At least with the kids, it's crazy but I'll have fun.
    • You can fix a broken cotton candy machine by using a box coated in aluminum foil.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    2019 brought me...

-A death of a cousin
    -Got my body snatched
    -Got banned from attending soccer games that are not even mine
    -Booked tickets to Portugal for summer 2020
    -vacationed to Florida

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    kam26001 wrote: »
    I don't do that year-in-review *kitten*. I am alive right now and that is that!
    Ok. Fine. Last week I had a chocolate milkshake from Chick-fil-A for the very first time. That was the highlight of my year.

Those are so bomb I could cry.
  • DecreasingDuchess
    DecreasingDuchess Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    1st I became, less than 10 pounds overweight!

2nd I was within my 140's pound range, prior to my seasonal, festive & holiday, feasting!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    2019 has honestly been one of my best years ever. It’s the year I had only what I can call a huge “shift” or “awakening”. It happened suddenly and it happened gradually. And it happened organically. I stopped worrying about stupid *kitten*. Started taking care of myself. Stopped hating myself. Stopped being judgmental (mostly). Started working out. Lost 70lbs. Decided to send home school kids to school (gradually). Started feeling genuinely happy. And more. So so much more. I loved 2019. And that’s all been since June. Can’t wait for 2020. ❤️😊

That's awesome.

I had Jury Duty*

*dismissed for a poor attitude towards 'The Man'.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    2019 has honestly been one of my best years ever. It’s the year I had only what I can call a huge “shift” or “awakening”. It happened suddenly and it happened gradually. And it happened organically. I stopped worrying about stupid *kitten*. Started taking care of myself. Stopped hating myself. Stopped being judgmental (mostly). Started working out. Lost 70lbs. Decided to send home school kids to school (gradually). Started feeling genuinely happy. And more. So so much more. I loved 2019. And that’s all been since June. Can’t wait for 2020. ❤️😊

I love this
  • HamptonsGuy
    HamptonsGuy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Simple Question with intense replies. A roller coaster. Coming into the year with the loss of a few good friends, then a great vacation on St Lucia, coupled with a good sales book, then a long lost brother passes away, father gets diagnosed terminal, countless back n forth trips over 40 plus days to his passing, mom then deteriorates and placed in assisted living. I'm now in charge of her life. Started a self improvement movement in 2018 that's placed on hold, gets put aside while I still try to power into it. Stress eating drinking. Bought an RV and spent 40 nights away from home as a place to stay level headed at the ocean and beaches. Begin working back out again in September. Work has been relentless which is therapy itself as Ive had time to think and not think. Work has been one of my best years despite all that happened. Looking forward to the holiday break.

What have I learned? Keep going forward, after an intense 6 months of family issues, keep going. Find out what bugs me and make changes. I started a journey in 2018 as I wasn't happy, got side tracked with life, not going to beat myself up about it, but getting back on the journey and see where it takes me. I'm looking to turn the page on 2019 and looking to make some major breakthroughs in 2020.
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    Good: Went to a few concerts I wanted to go to and traveled more than I have in over a decade. Watching the snow fall.

Bad: Didn't make as much progress losing weight or working on the house as I wanted to but it's all good.

Ugly: Lost my grandfather and two great uncles and dealing with that. Got laid off and struggling to find a job.
  • clord2
    clord2 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    In 2019, my marriage ended for good after limping along for a few years. We are still friends though so that's food.

Also, I got serious about my health and making healthy habits like eating right and exercising regularly.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I feel like this has been a huge year for me both personally and professionally as far as becoming a full-fledged adult.

That probably sounds very silly since I'm 43 years old and I've been independent since I was 21.

But I have dealt with caring for my aging mother, setting better boundaries, reaching a new place emotionally, and finally getting on anti-depressants as well as navigating some pretty crazy health stuff. I've also reached a new level professionally and went out on a limb for salary negotiation.

It's been a big freakin' year for me. Some very bad but mostly very good. I won't forget it.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    still.... nuthin'

and the clock is ticking on stupid ol' 2019.

next year might be better.

.... might not too. *shrug
  • cheesefiend2011
    cheesefiend2011 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    No matter how low you get and how many traumatic events you go through as long as you have a breath in your body and a will to improve all you need is kaizen. .small incremental changes everyday. Each moment is a chance to reset and move forward.
    Strength is just starting again each day and a will and want for better things.
  • TarryTaffy
    TarryTaffy Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    As with every year, as challenging as it's been, I try hard, very hard. I'll do the same next year & am looking forward to things falling into place & being more calm & "normal". 2019, you sucked, but didn't defeat me... w*nker.

Happy New 2020, All!
  • TarryTaffy
    TarryTaffy Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    No matter how low you get and how many traumatic events you go through as long as you have a breath in your body and a will to improve all you need is kaizen. .small incremental changes everyday. Each moment is a chance to reset and move forward.
    Strength is just starting again each day and a will and want for better things.

Perfect!
  • Cerizez
    Cerizez Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    🤣🤣🤣
    Love it!

mmultanen wrote: »
    A LOT

I don't really want to repeat it but I appreciate it.

Meanwhile, I have my arms open and am ready for 2020 to motorboat the girls and thaw out my dead cold heart.