Low carb, 45% fat, 45% protein

I am having a very difficult time losing and decided I would cut down the fat from my usual low carb/ keto diet I’ve been on for years. Anyone have any experience with this? There is precious little information to be found about it. I’m 56 and have adrenal insufficiency so am on daily steroids along with thyroid. Thanks

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    How did you make the decision to do this?
  • mdtprof
    mdtprof Posts: 9 Member
    Because I joined ww for a hot second and saw that adding in things like beans made me gain weight, while they are pretty big on the low fat thing. All of my friends are losing on ww, I’m obviously not tolerant of fruit and beans. I’ve tried everything else, so I’m doing an experiment
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Your condition aside, there's nothing wrong with reducing fat in favor of protein. There's also nothing wrong with reducing fat in favor of carbs. However you want to split up your macros is entirely up to you and if you can adhere to the diet to meet your goals.
  • mdtprof
    mdtprof Posts: 9 Member
    I tried ww last January. I stayed on it for 6 weeks, gained a pound overall. I don’t consider that a good plan for me, even though I decided to give it another shot. As far as picking a plan because my friends are doing it, when no plan works, you are willing to try things in order to get results. Trial and error is important when you have these types of obstacles. My doctor even told me to stop trying to lose, which is depressing. I was reading the above reading suggestions and, in my opinion, it completely oversimplified a complex issue. For some it may be as simple as a calorie deficit, but for certain conditions, not so much.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    mdtprof wrote: »
    I tried ww last January. I stayed on it for 6 weeks, gained a pound overall. I don’t consider that a good plan for me, even though I decided to give it another shot. As far as picking a plan because my friends are doing it, when no plan works, you are willing to try things in order to get results. Trial and error is important when you have these types of obstacles. My doctor even told me to stop trying to lose, which is depressing. I was reading the above reading suggestions and, in my opinion, it completely oversimplified a complex issue. For some it may be as simple as a calorie deficit, but for certain conditions, not so much.

Some conditions may make it more challenging to consistently reach a calorie deficit. But if you're arguing that a calorie deficit won't create weight loss, I think people are going to want to know how you reached that conclusion.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member

I can share my thinking about this and it might help you.
    • There is no quick fix.
    • Eating is a requirement for living.
    • Find an eating plan that you can live with, and, stick to it as close to every day as you are able to.
    • Use MFP to set your goals, use a scale to weigh your food, and log everything you eat.
    • Accept that your weight will fluctuate daily, and learn to be content with a 5# variation in one direction or the other.

When you have a few months of data logged into the app, you'll have the information about your eating habits that can be looked at against the progress graph. It's how I see that the spikes up in weight correspond with events that take me off my eating plan, and it helps reinforce for me that the plan really does work (the plan being Calories In Calories Out).

good luck to you and good fitness to us all.

Slow and steady wins.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Because I joined ww for a hot second and saw that adding in things like beans made me gain weight, while they are pretty big on the low fat thing. All of my friends are losing on ww, I’m obviously not tolerant of fruit and beans. I’ve tried everything else, so I’m doing an experiment

In addition to some water weight from adding carbs back in after being keto, I wonder if the problem with WW was the "free" foods? I could easily create a calorie surplus eating all these "free" foods plus WW foods with points.

https://www.weightwatchers.com/us/blog/weight-loss/complete-zero-point-foods-list
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    You might want to check with your doctor. Be sure they check your kidney function and that you explain your plan. Some people (not necessarily you or anyone else reading this) would have kidney issues with 45% protein.

I'm one example of a person whose nephrologist would nix this plan. 😉
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    If you are following low carb or ketogenic, just focus on carbs and let protein and fats fall out. I often have higher protein on my keto diet. And most importantly, try not to complicate things. You don't have to hit specific percentages.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

In addition to some water weight from adding carbs back in after being keto, I wonder if the problem with WW was the "free" foods? I could easily create a calorie surplus eating all these "free" foods plus WW foods with points.

https://www.weightwatchers.com/us/blog/weight-loss/complete-zero-point-foods-list

Heck... most of my foods are from the "free" list. Lol