Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

AriesFL
AriesFL Posts: 810 Member
Well it’s almost here. Are you excited? Angry? Ready for it to be over?

Metacritic isn’t always a good indicator if a film is good or not, but it’s not looking for right now at a 54. Expect that to go down. Oof.

Replies

• AriesFL
    It’s time for Star Wars to take a good long break from movies.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Well I am going to go and see it because it is Star Wars, but I have low expectations. I wish they'd just stop now.
  • clord2
    clord2 Posts: 413 Member
    I have my ticket. I saw that it's not getting great reviews.
  • AriesFL
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    Well I am going to go and see it because it is Star Wars, but I have low expectations. I wish they'd just stop now.

That is my thoughts as well. Or at least take a break and not to force out weak movies to make a buck.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I’m going to see it. I have been disappointed with all the Star Wars Movies after the original 3, but I still keep watching them so I suppose I’ll just keep being part of the problem. I expect this one will be no better or worse than the last one.
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    edited December 2019
    I'll see it eventually, but don't have tickets to it yet. Husband is going on Monday.

I really liked Force Awakens and Rogue One. Honestly, I didn't hate The Last Jedi nearly as much as most people seemed to have hated it. But, I've only been a recent fan (hadn't seen the original 3 until after high school) and not since childhood like a lot of folks, so my opinion might not be valued too highly, hah.
  • AriesFL
    ellie117 wrote: »
    I'll see it eventually, but don't have tickets to it yet. Husband is going on Monday.

I really liked Force Awakens and Rogue One. Honestly, I didn't hate The Last Jedi nearly as much as most people seemed to have hated it. But, I've only been a recent fan (hadn't seen the original 3 until after high school) and not since childhood like a lot of folks, so my opinion might not be valued too highly, hah.

I actually liked Rogue One a lot and thought it was the best of the newer Star Wars.
  • clord2
    clord2 Posts: 413 Member
    AriesFL wrote: »
    ellie117 wrote: »

I actually liked Rogue One a lot and thought it was the best of the newer Star Wars.

I agree with this. It's a great movie
  • GoJohnGo71
    GoJohnGo71 Posts: 439 Member
    Pass.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited December 2019
    I'll see it because Star Wars, but I hated The Last Jedi and I have low expectations of this one too. I don't even have tickets yet.

Empire is the best one. Fight me.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I have my tickets for Saturday... I'm looking forward to the movie snacks more 😂
  • AriesFL
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    I'll see it because Star Wars, but I hated The Last Jedi and I have low expectations of this one too. I don't even have tickets yet.

I’ll back you up.

• ghudson92
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

I’ll back you up.

Thirdsies.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'll most likely go at some point...I'm a Star Wars geek, so I can't help myself but I'll keep my expectations low.

It's funny though...I watched New Hope and Empire over Thanksgiving with my 16 yo nephew and 14 yo niece. They had never seen them but like the newer ones. I was like, "oh...you have to see them." They both looked at me the entire time like, "really...you think this is good?"

• AriesFL
    Time to disown them from the family
  • ghudson92
    Time to disown them from the family

Agreed.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    I'm pretty sure I don't have a choice; I have to go see it as it is written in my marital vows or something. However, I was over Star Wars about 40 yrs ago.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,861 Member
    They need to stop with the trilogy movies. Some of the spin off stuff is great. Rogue One, Mandalorian etc...
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I liked Rogue One the most (aside for the original 3), and I think Rogue One was probably the easiest to understand for the people who don’t know much about the other Star Wars stuff.
    I agree with anyone who thinks The Empire Strikes Back was the best of all of them.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,903 Member
    Will see it with my old high school bud when he comes to town for Christmas. Was just weeks old when my parents took me to "see" Episode 4 (then known only as "Star Wars"...the addition of "New Hope" came many years later). I have since seen every single SW movie in-theater, except Solo. (Which in retrospect I regret, as I had very low expectations for the movie but really enjoyed when I saw it on home DVD.)

Empire...Return...Rogue One... those are my top three, the order of preference will vary on any given day.

I still remember the hoopla when Episode 1 came out while I was in college, the first Star Wars movie in over fifteen years. A buddy of mine volunteered to sit in line for over A WEEK to get tickets (and he wasn't the first in line)...I attended his classes and took notes for him, brought him meals if he got me opening night tickets as well. The night came and it was a total carnival atmosphere, with 95% of people wearing some Star Wars article of clothing, more than half in actual costume. When the lights lowered the theater owner skipped the previews and went straight to the opening music, causing the entire place to erupt in standing ovation and cheers. (I don't care that the movie failed miserably to meet expectations, the memory of that night remains a high point in my mind.)