Fitness tracker heart rate monitor

Options
I saw the other fitness tracker question and just remembered my question. I would like to get a new one that does more or less continuous heart rate monitoring. I have one that's super cheap and on the charts it only shows my heart rate every 30 minutes.

Do the more expensive ones do a continuous rate. It would be nice to just look at it and see what my heart rate is at that moment, rather than push the button and wait a few seconds.

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Alta which shows heart-rate in real time.

It also shows resting heart rate, if that’s of interest to you too.
  • airforceman1978
    airforceman1978 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit ionic and it has real time heart rate and it has charts on the app
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cianag wrote: »
    I saw the other fitness tracker question and just remembered my question. I would like to get a new one that does more or less continuous heart rate monitoring. I have one that's super cheap and on the charts it only shows my heart rate every 30 minutes.

Do the more expensive ones do a continuous rate. It would be nice to just look at it and see what my heart rate is at that moment, rather than push the button and wait a few seconds.

Most of them do. Just look up whichever one's you are interested in and see if they have the features you're looking for.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Yep! Both the Fitbit and inexpensive Garmin I previously had would have the heart rate at the touch of a button (or tap of the screen) I recently purchased a Garmin Instinct and it’s display is always on and you can customize the watch face to include heart rate.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    The fitbit does. I have an Apple watch and its graphs are just awful to look at in comparison.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    My Garmin Vivoactive 3 does all day heart rate from the wrist monitor, then saves it to the cloud when I'm near my phone for it to upload. Assume this is standard for most other Garmins.

I haven't looked into it, but guessing from behavior, I'd assume it's not monitoring literally continuously, but rather at quite-frequent intervals (seconds) all day, probably more frequent intervals when an exercise activity is started (or maybe when chest belt is linked, since I still wear a chest belt for a fair percent of my exercise).

The wrist monitor seems reliable for daily life and most exercise types, but rowing - my main thing - seems to have too much arm flexion too often, so it misses stuff if wrist-only heart rate.
  • cianag
    cianag Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Everybody. I bought the Fitbit Inspire HR last night. It does what I want, and then some. I just wish I could turn it off when I'm not wearing it so I don't get those bogus data points in my graph.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i love my fitbit for this reason! When resting ill check my HR myself and its with in a number or 2.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    cianag wrote: »
    Thanks, Everybody. I bought the Fitbit Inspire HR last night. It does what I want, and then some. I just wish I could turn it off when I'm not wearing it so I don't get those bogus data points in my graph.

Which bogus data points? I have the inspire and only take it off to charge each morning while I’m in the shower. It shows a break in the graph for that time period when I’m not wearing it.

I really like the inspire and didn’t realize how much I would enjoy seeing the heart rate data. And the sleep data is fun too!