Big Belly and Complex Carbs Question…

MiniMichelle
MiniMichelle Posts: 801 Member
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
Hey Guys,
So I have a question, I carry the majority of my weight in my belly area- it’s a big belly, not just “squishy” fat… if you get what I am saying…

To the question~ I am thinking that is has to do with my sodium in-take and the fact that I love my complex carbs Pastas & Bread mainly…(Im sure the beer does not help:drinker: )

Has anyone cut out the majority of complex carbs and changed to simple carbs and noticed a change in their “belly” i.e large stomach area? How about any other changes?

Thanks,
~Michelle:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Knightrobs
    Knightrobs Posts: 33 Member
    Has anyone cut out the majority of complex carbs and changed to simple carbs and noticed a change in their “belly” i.e large stomach area? How about any other changes?

Thanks,
    ~Michelle:flowerforyou:

YES!!!

Carbohydrates are difficult for the human gut to digest and require ALOT of water to properly digest the carbohydrates. If you reduce/eliminate carbohydrates you'll notice a fast reduction in the size of your stomach/gut as the body expels all the water it required to properly digest those carbs!
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    I haven't done this but I would love to see the replies. Have you tried replacing your bread/pasta with smarter carbs? like high fiber carbs?? I have heard that they don't contribute to the belly as much!! There is noooooo way I could give up my carbs....but like for bread I use Aunt Millie's light potato bread, its high fiber and only 70 calories for 2 slices. For pasta I use Ronzoni smart taste...it is very high in fiber!! just a thought...I know im not much help....good luck!
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Complex carbs are the good for you carbs.. raw fruits and veggies, brown rice, whole grains

Simple carbs is sugar, processed flour, white rice and bread, baked goods

If you cut simple carbs and stick with complex carbs you will see a huge difference. Also beer contributes to a large belly due to the bloating. Thus, called a beer belly.

You would be surprised, I think, on how fast your belly would flatten if you were to switch focus.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Ah-har! Interesting read!!
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    I like the info on this page: http://howtothinkthin.com/instincts2.htm

Maybe it will help.

Good luck on your journey!

Quotes from the page follow, below:

"The closer you get to nature, the closer you get to health."

"Simple carbohydrates, like sugar and corn syrup, are created in a factory – while complex carbohydrates in vegetables and whole grains are designed by nature, and help you maintain your health."
  • MiniMichelle
    Complex carbs are the good for you carbs.. raw fruits and veggies, brown rice, whole grains

Simple carbs is sugar, processed flour, white rice and bread, baked goods

If you cut simple carbs and stick with complex carbs you will see a huge difference. Also beer contributes to a large belly due to the bloating. Thus, called a beer belly.

You would be surprised, I think, on how fast your belly would flatten if you were to switch focus.

I read:
    "Simple carbs also include foods such as fruit and milk. These are better sources of simple carbs because they contain vitamins and fiber, and also important nutrients that your body needs, like calcium.

Complex carbohydrates are also known as starches and are made of three or more linked sugars. Grains such as bread, pasta, oatmeal and rice are complex carbs, as well as some vegetables like broccoli, corn legumes such as kidney beans and chick peas. They take the longest to digest."

So its the other way?
  • Knightrobs
    Knightrobs Posts: 33 Member
    Also beer contributes to a large belly due to the bloating. Thus, called a beer belly.

The beer belly should be renamed the diabetic belly. Its do to the extreme amount of fluid and organ fat from decades of insulin abuse.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    No, I eat complex carbs (and sometimes simple carbs) as part of a balanced diet. My belly is a little squishy because I don't exercise but generally flat. When I used to be able to work out I had abs.

It might have more to do with how you carry your weight.

Here's a picture (I hope it works)

NAOzI.jpg
  • bluemax87
    bluemax87 Posts: 71
    High Fiber is a must. The longer something takes to digest in your system, the better it's going to be for you. If you're body is busy digesting something you're going to feel full longer and you're burning a lot more calories trying to digest it than you realize. The key to loosing belly fat is sugar intake... Or rather the lack thereof. Sugars turn to lipids after digestion and those lipids are like walls the blood cells have a ridiculously tough time trying to break through to access fat cells...

The first 20 minutes of cardio exercise, you body accesses energy from your muscles because they store the most water. Your blood needs to get this water and move it rhoughout the body in order to cool your exterior temperature down. If you have some sort of weight training regimen that lasts a minimum of 30 minutes prior to your cardio, you can reduce that 20 minutes as low as 10 minutes depending on the intensity of your resistance training. After that 20 minutes, your body reverts to what it was programmed to do thousands of years ago, access fat stores for energy. Muscle stores more energy than fat, it's true, and a small percentage of weight loss through cardio exercise comes from muscular loss. However, muscles are harder to break down for energy than fats...

Although muscle is harder to break down than fat, a string of fat cells with a lipid wall is even tougher to break down than muscle. Your blood will continue to hack at the lipid wall for up to 2 hours post-workout, but you will burn more calories from muscle energy due to that lipid wall.

I have a family history of diabetes and low blood sugar levels, so it's tough for me to follow my own advice. One thing I've learned is that Sobe Lifewaters are excellent to replace diet drinks (with the most common 0 calorie artificial sweetener being aspartame, and aspartame being a leading cause of early onset of diabetes and alzheimers, I stay far FAR away from Diet drinks). Along with using Sobe lifewater to replace my regular soda intake, I've also taken to eating fruits when I'm feeling a little hypoglycemic to raise my blood sugar with NATURAL and SIMPLE sugars that don't digest into lipids...

So, remember these keys to grocery shopping, 1) the less ingredients used, the more natural the item, 2) the more complex the item is to digest (i.e. high fiber, complex fatty acids, mono-unsaturated fats, protein) the better it is for you 3) avoid as much sugar and artificial sweeteners as possible... like they're the plague...

EDIT: Also, beer and all alcohols are processed and digested as sugars in the bloodstream. That accounts for that much more lipids going to your fat cells...
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    I don't eat gluten and therefore it reduces carbs in my diet...drastically. OBVIOUSLY I am still getting complex carbs from other sources, which are vital and wonderful for the body. AMAZING for belly, internally and externally. Squishiness is not fun, but there are ways to reduce. Water, drinking aloe, tons of cardio and core work. Lots of planks (use good form or they will be useless). In my opinion, situps and crunches are blah... there are so many better ways to tighten and tone the belly. Start with a plank and then increase to side planks, use weights, etc. Cardio to shed the fat, core to tone. Gluten free really does work wonders though... also drink hot water to help aid in digestion to remove that belly bloat.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    I am sooooooooooo glad u asked this:)) I have REALLY been wondering. I always look pregnant no matter how small I am.....a protruding belly is what I have. My mom my grandmothers and aunts plus I have noticed my daughter at times does too. I have noticed my daughter and I have this more when we eat Complex Carbs....but I wasn't 100% sure:)) thx! Great topic!!
  • MiniMichelle
    Thanks for the information!!!

If anyone else has anything to add please feel free :happy:

Thanks again,
    ~Michelle
  • dab52776
    dab52776 Posts: 536 Member
    bump to read later
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    A HUGE bonus for me was when I realized that I could easily put my spaghetti sauce (homemade, always) over steamed green beans instead of noodles. The same applies for a few other veggie-for-pasta substitutions. Still carbs, but excellent high-fiber carbs chock full of nummy vitamins and antioxidants.
  • As a nutritionist I can tell you that if you stick with around 30carbs you will lose weight 50carbs to maintain. What happens is when you eat bread,pastas, corn, cereal and so on your insulin goes up well then you need to bring down the insulin so then the pancrease helps in this process after the insulin and pancrease work together the rest is stored as body fat and that is around the waist., Any other questions let me know.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    i've found if i eat a ton of CHO i'll have a bloated look for a day or two but then the 2nd or 3rd day my belly and i look even better
This discussion has been closed.