best exercise bike? Chain vs. Belt

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    OP never signed back in after posting her question.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I have disagreed with the people telling you to buy a regular bike and trainer. It takes up much more room, it's messy (due to the chain and any dirt on the bike), and not as solid.

Also, you can get some spin bike for less than some of trainer attachments! (Or is the bike and attachment to the trainer? Anyway, you know what I mean.) Especially used.

It's only messy if you neglect your bike and ride with a dirty drive train.... to me the ability to take the bike off the trainer and ride outside is worth far more than an extra couple square feet.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I have disagreed with the people telling you to buy a regular bike and trainer. It takes up much more room, it's messy (due to the chain and any dirt on the bike), and not as solid.

Also, you can get some spin bike for less than some of trainer attachments! (Or is the bike and attachment to the trainer? Anyway, you know what I mean.) Especially used.

It's only messy if you neglect your bike and ride with a dirty drive train.... to me the ability to take the bike off the trainer and ride outside is worth far more than an extra couple square feet.

I don't ride a bike outdoors, so I have no need for "training wheels" but if I did, training wheels certainly would make sense, especially given the high cost of road bikes and top quality spin bikes.

No point owning both, if you don't want 2 spend the extra money and/or don't have the space.

Either will work, just depends on your needs, circumstances and preferences.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you don't buy an "exercise" bike. Get a real bike and a trainer, that way come the nicer weather in spring you can ride outdoors. For the price of one of those "Peleton" bikes you could get a pretty nice road bike (or hybrid if that's more your style) and a smart trainer and use something like Zwift or TrainerRoad to get the most out of your rides.

A lot of people can't bike in their area because the roads are unsafe. Also sometimes it's impossible to bike due to weather conditions.

As for exercise bikes, we have the BH Fitness S1Ri recumbent exercise bike. We got it for around $500 I think (?) from a local exercise equipment store (Black Friday sale). We've had it for over a year and no problems so far. My husband does pretty intense workouts on it too. He usually runs at the gym or local track for exercise, but he uses the bike about 1-2x a week as a break from running. I haven't been able to be consistent with it because I'm lazy, but I'm trying to get into using it every day. It's magnetic.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I teach spin and wanted a commercial grade bike for the house. Yesterday I bought a Life Cycle ic6. I will probably get the Peloton app, Les Mills on demand and create my own workouts for variety. The gym I teach at uses the same bike. Before I decided on my bike, I went to several different gyms to try different bikes. I thought I wanted a Stages bike but when I tried it I didn’t like it at all.