Help

Options
I dont know what to do. Im tired of being the fat friend in my friend group. i cry endlessly on end feeling sorry and disgusted with myself. Its at the point of developing anxiety with my already seemingly never ending depression. some of yall might hate me and be disgusted with me to. im not taking offense, but im just so tired of being who i am. i wish i was a healthier weight and a better person. Sorry for the rant im just upset. :(

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I think many of us have been there to some degree or another. Your value as a person isn't defined by your weight. You can make changes, it's a simple process, but it's not easy. It takes dedication to the process. Start by doing some reading. I suggest you start here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,629 Member
    Options
    I second checking out the above thread. You're more than a number on the scale! It sounds like you need to think about what you want to change and what you're willing to do to achieve it. Identify what being a better person means. I'm at goal now and can tell you a lot of how I felt about myself "before" is how I feel about myself now, those feelings don't go away with a smaller body. I have improved my mindset but it wasn't because of weight loss, more because of how I've grown and taken charge of my health.

Making changes in a positive way can help you feel less depressed and more in control. You don't have to jump all in, you can start logging your food so you can see how much you're eating then start eating within your calories. I'm not sure how depressed you're talking about but if you're really hating yourself I'd look into counseling. If it's more of a temporary thing starting a little exercise can help boost your mood, I've been down and started spending some time listening to favorite songs from my teens and dancing greatly boosts my mood!
  • kathskelly53
    kathskelly53 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Woke this morning feeling the same, but hey we can do this I’m going out for a walk to see if that will lighten my mood, one day at a time ❤️
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    After 6 yrs here, I can tell you that losing weight does not equal happiness. Unfortunately it does not fix all problems. You have to fix the depression and unhappiness-- and lose weight. Otherwise you wake up one day and you can be thin and miserable. Many people post about this. Please get some help and be successful with your weight loss. Wishing you the best of luck.
  • triplets_R_US
    triplets_R_US Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It took time to get to where you're at, it will take time to get to where you want to be. Never give up!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    You a fan of the movie Groundhog Day?There the Bill Murray character escapes the trap of the repeating day by focusing on being a better person. As @Katmary71, points out, you need to figure out what that is to you. Always a good idea. And maybe it helps with weight loss.

But don’t let the idea that you have to be a certain weight to be a better person take root in your head. Character is not weight related.

Despite the conventional wisdom weight loss isn’t about inner strength or willpower or discipline, it’s mostly about problem solving. Its a skill set. Its good to have some willpower or discipline in our WL toolbox, but good planning and good habits will take you a lot farther.

You tried full on calorie counting? A food diary, weighing and measuring what you eat and drink, calculating a moderate calorie deficit and making a plan to hit your number? It works. It takes a significant amount of time to learn, but it works. Start slow and keep tinkering and adjusting until you get it working. You can have the life you want. We only get one. Don’t settle for less than what you really want for yourself. Good luck.