Cherry Tomatoes Calories

Options
I'm sorry if this is a repeat question. My MFP search bar is not working for some reason today. Anyway, does anyone have a reliable source for nutrition facts on cherry tomatoes? I've searched online, but the calories for one cup vary from the 30s to the 40s to the 60s depending on the source. My package doesn't come with nutrition facts on it. I would appreciate any ideas. Thank you!

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    You should weigh everything. And, then you will know.
  • perseverance_is_everything
    Options
    When I eat tomatoes, I use the USDA-based entry for "tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, year round average." That's 18 calories per 100 grams. If you didn't weigh, USDA estimates about 27 calories for 1 cup of cherry tomatoes.

Thank you! I do weigh everything. I'm very meticulous about weighing everything. I should have explained it better. I was getting different calorie counts based on the same serving size depending on which site I looked at. I will just use your recommendation for just the general "tomatoes" entry from USDA rather than specifically looking for cherry tomatoes.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes are low in calories.

I highly doubt there is anything but a miniscule calorie difference between cherry tomatoes and any other sort of tomatoes.

So I would just weigh them and use any reliable tomato entry.

Not sure how many you are getting in a cup but the standard punnets here are 250g. About 25 calories per 100 g so 65 calories for the whole punnet.
    I would not eat a whole punnet but some people might.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I eat tomatoes, I use the USDA-based entry for "tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, year round average." That's 18 calories per 100 grams. If you didn't weigh, USDA estimates about 27 calories for 1 cup of cherry tomatoes.

Thank you! I do weigh everything. I'm very meticulous about weighing everything. I should have explained it better. I was getting different calorie counts based on the same serving size depending on which site I looked at. I will just use your recommendation for just the general "tomatoes" entry from USDA rather than specifically looking for cherry tomatoes.

I eat a variety of tomatoes and I always use that entry because I figure that the differences are pretty small (and tomatoes are relatively low calorie anyway).