• xGreatWhiteNorthx
    xGreatWhiteNorthx Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I throw it in the trash and call it good.🤣
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

Lol I used to be that way but then I got brave. :) I had eaten guacamole a couple times and went blech. Then my dd made it last Christmas and I must've polished off 1/2 the bowl. :blush: Then I obsessively made it every single weekend for just me(heaven forbid dh eat anything green Lol) until almost springtime.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    jwoolman5 wrote: »

But I never was able to properly store them until I found out how well they freeze. Now if a good batch is on sale, I buy a lot and just mash up the innards with lemon juice or lime juice and then fill plastic snack or sandwich bags with them. I like to flatten the bags with just half a Haas avocado in each and then freeze. Once frozen, they are especially easy to stack vertically or horizontally and they thaw fast enough for me. I don't even wait for official thawing in the bag these days, just eat them or cut up pieces for crackers or salads. But if you use more at a time, you can put more of the mashed up avocado in a bag with no problem (don't add tomatoes or anything but the lemon or lime juice or else supposedly they will be too watery - make guacamole with them after thawing).

This is terrific news! I'll have to try this. They're so darn expensive I always like to catch the good sales, but I can't get too many or they go bad.
  • TarryTaffy
    TarryTaffy Posts: 883 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I've honestly never gotten to do anything fancy with them, cuz I love them so much & when I bring them home, just eat them whole... never anything left over for experimentation. Someday!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

Ha, I'm not the only one that doesn't care for them! I've tried them in guacamole and plain and don't like the fatty feeling. I don't hate it but don't get it for lack of a better description. Don't know if I'd like it in a smoothie. I figure it's one less fatty thing I like.

Didn't come on here to say I hate 'em, just that I see avocado toast with Everything But the Bagel liberally sprinkled on top in pics all the time so it seems to be popular! I've never personally tried it.
  • Lila3701
    Lila3701 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit avocado salad

In a bowl with roasted corn and zucchini, cilantro, and lime sour cream.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Mostly plain with a little salt, on the side of other food, like eggs. They go together well. Also in smoothies, and I think they taste good with cottage cheese. It's also nice on some salads or with rice and black beans. Guac is of course delicious but I don't make it that often. I tend to eat it on carrots and other raw veg (unless I'm at a Mexican restaurant).
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I’m an avocado toast girl. Like you, I overindulge in guac.

Rustic multigrain bread topped with avocado slices, sprinkle of kosher salt on the avo. Top that with eggs over easy. Perfection.
  • TarryTaffy
    TarryTaffy Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I’m an avocado toast girl. Like you, I overindulge in guac.

Oh, gosh... if I bring home a pint of guac, I eat the entire thing with a spoon... then feel badly I didn't have the foresight to buy a 2nd pint. :(
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,180 Member
    Options
    Slice. Remove pit. Make little incisions in the flesh. Sprinkle with smoked cayenne - just a bit. Dust with pink salt (optional). Drizzle the tiniest amount of balsamic.

Smile.

Get a spoon and.... Hey! Where did it go?

These are the small ones. A half isn't enough. Local shop has them two for a dollar right now, so I have some little green rocks in a paper sack on the kitchen counter waiting for that magic eleven minute window.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I added some to my omelet last night for dinner. It was really good and creamy. I told my dh you could hardly taste it(trying to get him on board with trying something new, healthy and different); he said why eat it then? Uhh, 'because I know how good it is for me' I tell him while he's shoveling in cheese, crackers and pepperoni. :/
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I use avocado in place of mayo when making tuna salad.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    On toast with s+p pretty much every morning.

Really helps me hit calorie goals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I usually just make guacamole but end up eating the entire batch plus an entire bag of bagel chips to go along with it. But sooo good. :)
    I've never liked plain avocado, just so bland. But I had a slice of Italian bread with chicken salad on top, along with some avocado and sea salt and that was pretty tasty too. :)
    What kinds of foods do you like to add avocado to or make with it?

Usually as a topping in salad, or in a sandwich or in a taco or over a burrito. Sometimes I eat it right out of the shell with a little salt.
  • eating_rainbows
    eating_rainbows Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Avocados are one of my favorite foods! I love to eat them on top of toast! Though if trying to limit carbs toast probably wouldn’t be the best option for you. I also eat them plain with “Everything Bagel Seasoning”. It’s SO good and super simple!
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I never knew you could freeze avocado. I like avocado, but usually can't eat them before they go bad.
  • RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Smashed on toast. Those Millenial kids really know their stuff. :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I like mine cut up sprinkled with Mexican fruit seasoning (tejin) and crackers. Maybe some fresh mozzarella or green brine olives too.
  • RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I like mine cut up sprinkled with Mexican fruit seasoning (tejin) and crackers. Maybe some fresh mozzarella or green brine olives too.

Ooh. Haven't had Tejin in years. Gotta go to the market and get me some. :)
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    As far as what to eat them with (e.g., toast, tortilla chips, etc.) I guess that's up to the eater. For flavouring agents, besides the go-to guacamole or other spreadable preparations I will often dice it and toss it with lemon juice and red pepper flakes (someone upthread also mentioned cayenne), or I like to slice it in half and pour about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar into each of the holes left by the pit, then just scoop it out and into my mouth.