Anybody doing martial arts at home?

Options
Maybe some kind of of free online courses or something? Probably not very likely, as I feel like you want a teacher for that...but I grew up doing it and I think I'd like to try it again. But, don't have the time or money for classes right now so I'm looking for some kind of similar alternative...

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I do kickboxing videos...not sure that counts
  • Womanvsweight
    Womanvsweight Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Beach body piyo you can do on you tube I’m more Wing chun
  • pyro_guy7
    pyro_guy7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

I think it counts! What are your go-to videos?
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Tae bo is a fitness class based on martial arts - you’ll find the moves familiar and it’s safe to do at home (used to have a video but I’m sure there’s stuff online) I used to instruct Tae Kwon Do, and I’d just caution against doing some stuff as home (as you alluded) as it’s easy to do a movement wrong and injure yourself. Perhaps go to a few refresher classes if you can find any in your area?
  • pyro_guy7
    pyro_guy7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yeah, maybe I'll just have to figure how to work it into my budget.

Side note: Take Kwon Do was what I studied :).
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    While training in a school is obviously best, I like "Core de Force", which is an MMA based program, that is offered by Beach Body. You can get it as part of their BeachBody on Demand subscription.

However, if you really want to build martial arts as a self defense base, I think even more important than an instructor is having a partner. Is there someone you know who would train it with you? You could buy a cheap martial arts pad and train together following some online videos. That is a lot better than doing it alone.

If you are searching for a martial art to learn, I highly recommend Krav Maga. It's optimized for real world self defense.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    pyro_guy7 wrote: »

I think it counts! What are your go-to videos?

I have 3 sets of TurboJam, a box set of TurboFire, Kelly Coffey Meyer step-boxing, and Amy Bento Ross kickbox surge and core.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options

I do a lot of these too. I would never actually be able to use a move from a video for self defense but it makes for decent cardio.
  • BrianDWashing
    BrianDWashing Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a bag at home that I like to strike every so often, good cardio and a one time investment that's we'll worth it