Need alternative to Crunches

13»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    goatg wrote: »
    I do sit ups with a 40 lb dumbbell on my chest (after a decent warmup). I've been doing them for years, feel like I have good form/control, and enjoy the load on my biceps, shoulders, and back. But...I've always wondered at the general efficiency/safety.

I had a detailed answer written which disappeared when I was checking another source :s

In short: for an athlete such as yourself, doing those crunches poses little risk of injury, but IMO they are not the best in terms of the effort:benefit ratio. If you work hard enough, even at a mediocre movement, you can get some benefits. But with the same time and effort you could probably do better.

My cycling coaching experience and skills are not at the same level as your new bike, so I am not going to suggest any specific alternate exercises. But I would recommend reaching out to some people with specific experience training higher level cyclists and see if they have any additional exercises.

• grob49
    grob49 Posts: 123 Member
    After back surgery my neurosurgeon told me to never do crunches again. What are the best ab workouts that don’t involve crunches?

Take a look at planks and the plank challenge
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,401 Member
    edited December 2019
    Azdak wrote: »
    goatg wrote: »
    I do sit ups with a 40 lb dumbbell on my chest (after a decent warmup). I've been doing them for years, feel like I have good form/control, and enjoy the load on my biceps, shoulders, and back. But...I've always wondered at the general efficiency/safety.

I had a detailed answer written which disappeared when I was checking another source :s

In short: for an athlete such as yourself, doing those crunches poses little risk of injury, but IMO they are not the best in terms of the effort:benefit ratio. If you work hard enough, even at a mediocre movement, you can get some benefits. But with the same time and effort you could probably do better.

My cycling coaching experience and skills are not at the same level as your new bike, so I am not going to suggest any specific alternate exercises. But I would recommend reaching out to some people with specific experience training higher level cyclists and see if they have any additional exercises.

Thanks Azdak! Highly appreciated. I spend a crazy amount of time on my core relative to benefit...but it is pretty strong. I’d love some lore, full body movements. My abs routine is long/involved but no doubt redundant.

Highly appreciate the input. Thanks :) (my approach to fitness doesn’t optimize for triathlon/cycling —more of a hodgepodge with room for improvement)

Merry Christmas 🙃