Have you ever considered gaining weight to get G-B surgery?

Options
I know this is somewhat controversial subject but I know I did think about it, :embarassed: but glad I didn't. :smile:

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    smart decision! Best of luck on your journey!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    a lady in my mom's bible study did and it is a HORRIBLE idea. There are so many potential complications around the surgery, including the need for some SERIOUS self control because you must be so careful of what you eat, how you eat, how much, etc.

I don't think people understand that its almost as much self control as dieting, the only difference is it does control your portions because you literally CANNOT squeeze any more food in there.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Oh, I wish. I'm barely overweight and I know I've been kind of jealous of the people that qualify for and have insurance pay for their gastric bypass/lap-band surgeries. But guess what? I'm doing it the RIGHT WAY, so my results will actually last, even if it takes longer to reach the finish line. I've know several people to have GB surgery - one probably ingests most of her calories in the way of liquor, one gained a lot of the weight back, and one died. I'm just too smart to sabotage my own health like that.
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    My brother died that way.
    He chose the op over working with the dietician :(
    He was 21
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My brother died that way.
    He chose the op over working with the dietician :(
    He was 21

OMG! I am so sorry.... :cry: May I ask what happened? How big was he?
  • dckim
    Options
    Oh, I wish. I'm barely overweight and I know I've been kind of jealous of the people that qualify for and have insurance pay for their gastric bypass/lap-band surgeries. But guess what? I'm doing it the RIGHT WAY, so my results will actually last, even if it takes longer to reach the finish line. I've know several people to have GB surgery - one probably ingests most of her calories in the way of liquor, one gained a lot of the weight back, and one died. I'm just too smart to sabotage my own health like that.

My old coworked did it. He did lose about 100lb in 8 months, but later had all kinds of problems. Now he is anemic and has to take iron shots. Also, he did the rou-en-y method not laproscopic and has a 12" scar from thorax to navel. He actually told me not to get it and had he had to do again, he would'nt. Also he is only 55 but looks like 65 b/c all the wrinkles and access skin. :frown:
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have seriously thought about getting huge just so someone else will pay for my surgery.

Many times.

But I always come back to the reason I am here, on this site. I want to do it myself. I don't want to live like a fat person any more. And the longer I take to get going, the longer it's going to take to get to where I want to be.
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    OMG! I am so sorry.... May I ask what happened? How big was he?

Sorry, I didn't share to shock - I shared to help inform people so they have more of a full picture.
    My brother was morbidly obese (near 200kg) but other than that very healthy, no recorded problems at all.

All operations carry risk. He was just a statistic I guess.
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    NO! I might have thought about the surgery itself for may be 10 minutes, but, too many people have died from this surgery and I don't want to be a statistic.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's bad enough needing an operation through no fault of your own, there's no way on earth I'd purposely do something to get myself surgery.
  • Honey1990
    Options
    my mom and grandma both got it done. they didnt need to gain weight to do it they were big enough on there own. but they both are doing very well my mom is about 6 years out and my grandma about 2 and they have both lost and kept alot of weight off with no complications.
  • dckim
    Options
    my mom and grandma both got it done. they didnt need to gain weight to do it they were big enough on there own. but they both are doing very well my mom is about 6 years out and my grandma about 2 and they have both lost and kept alot of weight off with no complications.

God bless them! :flowerforyou:
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I think it is your choice, and if you do not need to gain too much weight for the surgery, then why not?

Just be careful and do your own research. My mom used to work in a hospital and told me if I ever need surgery to write on my body with permanent marker "THIS LEG" etc. For other surgeries, bring a piece of paper with all the info and leave it with you incase the doctor needs it etc. o_o
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    My best friend is a doctor and has threatened to beat me black and blue if I ever get this done! There are too many risks involved.

I'm going to the funeral of a woman in my club tmrw who had it done and has just had it done. She's left behind two little kids. It's not worth the risk.
  • alexisrebecca
    alexisrebecca Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I really thought this was a joke thread at first :noway:
  • dckim
    Options

You'd be surprised how many people entertain the thought. The surgery is definitely not an easy solution for sure... :sick:
  • alexisrebecca
    alexisrebecca Posts: 39 Member
    Options

You'd be surprised how many people entertain the thought. The surgery is definitely not an easy solution for sure... :sick:

Wow, I would have thought that putting your body under even more strain by gaining weight would be detrimental. I'm assuming you have to be pretty heavy to have this surgery in the 1st place so putting even more weight on surely is very damaging.
    To be honest, I don't really know much about GB surgery, only what I have seen on TV etc but it looks dangerous and a very big step to take.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I really ever thought about purposely gaining the weight for the surgery. However, I kind of thought, "At the rate I'm gaining weight I'd be there in no time to have the surgery." It was something I considered, but never very seriously. The thought of having to be that controlled for the rest of my life scared me to death. I think I would have had more dietary restrictions with the surgery than I have now with major food intolerances. All I can say is that it's totally possible to lose the weight without the surgery, and there are tons of people on here who prove that :)
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i thought about it at my biggest... and i just didn't think i had it in me to lose the weight and stick with it again (especially with 2 kids to focus on), to get on that merry-go-round again, lose the weight, and then put it all back on and more. but now i've got the momentum and the drive and positive mind set, i know i'll never get that big again. i know i'll never let myself go that bad again.

this is the longest i've ever stuck to a good healthy diet routine, and it works... why, because it's not restrictive. i can still have cake, chocolate, biscuits, pizzas, chinese take away, whatever, and regularly, but just not as much. i've learnt to treat myself in a small way instead of eating a whole tube of pringles and a whole packet of chocolate biscuits (once i got half way through, i'd have to get rid of the evidence)....
  • maclynn62
    Options
    hi, even at my biggest never thought about it, know 2 people who have had it done, and both are bigger now than ever