only 3rd day already eaten chocolate

Options
I've been a member for 3 days and have already fallen off the wagon. I had some chocolate tonight. Late afternoons and evenings are my worst times: I am tired, feel a little weak and want nothing more than to eat dinner and go to bed. I don't have the energy to cook dinner, so I rest for two hours before I get the strength to cook. In those two hours I eat and today I ruined a good day by eating some chocolate. i am disappointed in myself, but not surprised. how do other (older) people manage the end of the day? I have very low energy levels which don't last long.

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you read some of the stickies on the tops of the forums. This one is pretty helpful about the whole program: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • mindoverplatter8
    mindoverplatter8 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Because choc puts my count over on fat, sodium, sugar, carbs and kilojoules which means i wont lose weight. Or maybe i dont understand what the food diary is telling me? It shows a whole lot of red numbers.
  • Chris_J99
    Chris_J99 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Christmas is a tough time to start. There are so many tempting foods readily available.
    Each day can be a new start.
    😁💪🏼
  • mindoverplatter8
    mindoverplatter8 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am on the slowest weight loss (0.5lb per week) and have 65kgs (135lbs) to lose.
    88olds what kind of snack do you eat after work and in the evening?
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    It’s OK. Are you planning on living entirely without chocolate for the rest of your life? If not, you might as well start learning to incorporate it in a healthy way now.

What kind of job or schedule do you have? Would it be possible to have a pre-planned snack mid-afternoon to prevent the slump and make evenings easier?
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    It could take a couple weeks to get your brain on board with the tracking part of MFP, which can be frustrating at times. It’s eye opening to see the calorie content in some things, both directions! I would skimp all day to save for what I assumed would be a heavy hitting meal and have too many calories to spare, other times I would eat, log, then see that I did more damage to my “budget” than I anticipated.

I ignore the fat, sugar, carb, sodium numbers. For weight loss you are mainly looking at calories. I have found protein is what I need to feel decent long term so I shoot for higher percentages of that over fat and carbs, but that alone doesn’t make or break the weight loss.

And chocolate is a consistent item in my food diary ;) that is my favorite part of MFP, you can have whatever you want, you just have to make it fit in your daily allowance - it’s not a diet but a body budget for me!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You've gotten very good advice OP. Take things slow, evaluate as you go, tinker with your calories and foods until you hit a "sweet spot" and you're good to go. You'll find that sometimes you're just ravenous and go over. Start fresh the next day--no guilt--and just keep going. He wins who eats as much as he can and still loses. You'll find that being persistent is necessary to success. Good luck .
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    tired and feeling weak and not good signs - consider this, take the first couple of weeks before you set any weight loss goals to just get consistent in logging food and seeing what you are taking in on a daily basis and how are you doing weight wise - it will let you start to identify trends

then set yourself reasonable goals - depending on how much you have to lose you don't want to be too agressive (i.e. setting yourself up for a 2lb a week weight loss when you only have 10lbs to lose) etc

but that being said, there is nothing wrong with chocolate - if you want chocolate it, log it into your diary for the evening at the beginning of the day; you can do this with other fun foods (my evening bowl of cereal is the first thing I log every day so that i can make sure i save room for it) - but having chocolate doesn't make you a failure; neither does going over your cals for one day - because you are still in a deficit for the week
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    Or maybe i dont understand what the food diary is telling me?
    Probably just a misinterpretation.

Thing is: One "lost" day doesn't kick you off the waggon.
    Learn from it and it will actually turn out to be a win.
    The failure is not chocolate, the failure would be to give up, because of one (possibly) spoiled day in a loooooong list of days that have yet to come.

When fealing weak it most likely is because your deficit is slightly over-ambitioned.
    If your current goal makes you feel bad, try one that is easier to achieve.
    It helps no one if you give up on your goal because you feel miserable.

The important rule that helped me through my journey:
    If my favourite food doesn't fit into my plan, it's the plan that is bad, not my favourite food.

What has to be done though is: Portion control.
    Control your intake and if it is too hard to live within your calorie-budget: Go and find a workout you love to "raise some funds"

As suggested by @autumnblade75 : Read the stickies!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am on the slowest weight loss (0.5lb per week) and have 65kgs (135lbs) to lose.
    88olds what kind of snack do you eat after work and in the evening?

.5 lb per week is 1750 calorie/week deficit. Did you eat 1750 calories over your target? If not, you are still in a deficit. Just a bit less of one.

Chocolate happens. Log it and try to be less hard on yourself. Beating yourself up and calling it a failure is counter productive.
  • johnnys_fitness_ch
    Options
    If I had a dollar for every time i fell of the wagon I would be rich. Just don't give up no matter what....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've been a member for 3 days and have already fallen off the wagon. I had some chocolate tonight. Late afternoons and evenings are my worst times: I am tired, feel a little weak and want nothing more than to eat dinner and go to bed. I don't have the energy to cook dinner, so I rest for two hours before I get the strength to cook. In those two hours I eat and today I ruined a good day by eating some chocolate. i am disappointed in myself, but not surprised. how do other (older) people manage the end of the day? I have very low energy levels which don't last long.

Having some chocolate isn't falling off the wagon...having some chocolate doesn't undo the rest of your nutrition for the day. In the context of a well balanced diet where nutritional needs are consistently met, having some chocolate isn't a big deal.

Also, dark chocolate is actually quite nutritious.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Eat chocolate! I buy fancy dark chocolate candy bars and have a square a day. Today I had 8 mint m&ms and logged them.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I make room for chocolate, as well as any other food I like, every day. A calorie deficit is all you need for weight loss, why deprive yourself of foods you like? I lost over 1/2 my body weight with a calorie deficit, moderation and portion control.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    A piece of chocolate in the last 3 days...

You've done much better than I over the last 3 days I can tell you that!

I watch a lot of Athlean X on YouTube and the biggest piece of advice I have heard from him...

"You don't have to be perfect, just pretty damn good!"

It's just part of your journey, not a bump in the road, or falling of the wagon... Just part of the process