Disappointing Realization of Maintenance Calories

Replies

• ThinnerLiz
    ThinnerLiz Posts: 55 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    Indeed, the reference to that -- eating one meal a day of pickle juice and lunch meat -- seemed like an enormous strawman to me. I've never seen something like that advocated (although I suppose it would be low carb).

This sort of eating is often touted in Keto groups. Some go zero carb, some only eat meat. According to them, they feel great and are healthy. Okay. I'm not going to argue with them, because I'm not in their shoes.
    I tried Keto and often cycle in and out (not intentionally, but since I eat dinner rather early and often don't have my first meal until mid-morning, I'm in Ketosis during that time, particularly if I exercise.)

I felt great, no cravings, no hunger. Great energy.
    BUT--I had issues with electrolytes. In the Keto groups, they will tell you that you need a lot of sodium to balance the fact that your body is dropping water like crazy, and your kidneys are working hard. (I learned the hard way to stay close to a bathroom in the early phases because I had to pee a lot, like EVERY HOUR.)
    I mistakenly believed that after I got acclimated to this, my need for drinking salt water (literally) would diminish. "Not so", I was told. In order to not get a blinding headache and risk an electrolyte imbalance, I would need to keep my sodium at least 3,500 mg per day. Forever.
    Enter the "SHOT OF PICKLE JUICE WITH DIET PEPSI" with plate of lunch meat and hard-boiled eggs. I was told to keep my net carbs below 20--or "Bad Things Would Happen".

When I asked why, if I was eating about 50 net carbs, and feeling great, losing weight, and all was well, I would want to cut that to 20? (You would think I'd asked why they don't eat their own young! ;) ) Well, then I'd be "Kicked Out of Ketosis!!!!!!". And... then? Couldn't I... just get back in later? (The answer is: YES.)
    I asked questions like "Are you saying you need to be in Ketosis to burn off your own bodyfat?" and "Is it possible that some people can reap the benefits of a low carb diet without being in Ketosis?" Crickets. After some nasty comments, of course.

When something makes very little sense when examined from all angles, I ditch it. Staying in Ketosis made no sense for me. Eating lower carb does.

My point here is that even those Keto folks with their pickle juice and hot dogs are wedded to their Way Of Eating, and good for them. I can't see that as healthy, no matter how hard I try. I only suggest that people open their minds to trying different methods, and learn that it's not the same for everyone, in terms of what type of eating works best for them. It's not about "Being Right" or winning people over to my way of thinking. I'm just passing on information.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    ThinnerLiz wrote: »
    And thank you, cmriverside, for taking the time to thoughtfully read and respond.

For the record, the 150 grams of carbs would be a high day for me. Some days I might even go up to 220, but that's very rare, and only if it's some kind of special occasion or I've been doing a ton of exercise/feel depleted. I feel best and most energetic around 70-100 gram, most days.

Great! You've done what many people should do. You've experimented and found what is optimum for you.
  • ThinnerLiz
    For the record, I never said that "carbs were bad", or "insulin" is bad, or "carbs make you fat". That was all inferred.

What I said was: For some people, a diet lower in carbohydrate might be beneficial (health and weight loss) because of how their bodies react to large amounts of carbs.
  • ThinnerLiz
    Yet, it's not a statement that I made, that "carbohydrates cause fat storage".

Carbs do cause greater rises in blood glucose, which trigger more insulin to be released. That can inhibit fat metabolism. Fat and protein have a negligible effect on circulating blood glucose although they can also lead to a rise in insulin. How much of that is a problem (or not) would depend on the individual, and the circumstances. Are they in a caloric deficit? Are they running a marathon? Are they glycogen-depleted? In Ketosis? At risk for metabolic disease?

For those who are pre-diabetic or have Type II diabetes this would most certainly be an issue. Obviously, we need insulin, as it plays an important role in metabolism. It's hardly the enemy, and neither are carbs.
    Insulin itself doesn't seem to be the issue as much as higher circulating blood glucose can be. But it's more complicated than that, I agree. I apologize if I sounded like I was over-simplifying things.

People who are perfectly healthy and feeling well can get by on all kinds of diets. As I've said from the beginning.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/carbohydrates-and-blood-sugar/

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    For the record, I never said that "carbs were bad", or "insulin" is bad, or "carbs make you fat". That was all inferred.

What I said was: For some people, a diet lower in carbohydrate might be beneficial (health and weight loss) because of how their bodies react to large amounts of carbs.

I think you need to go back and reread your posts. You stated multiple times that insulin causes fat storage and once your stated to caused obesity and T2D. Based on the posts, I'm not the only one who interpreted your posts this way.

It's how I read this statement (from an earlier post in this thread by the user): "Carbs drive up insulin, which effects blood sugar, and ultimately, fat storage."

It sounds like a statement that carbohydrates cause fat storage.

That was my take as well, and similarly the statement about 200 g of carbs being bad because it keeps the insulin flowing.

I wouldn't have bothered going through it in detail except that another poster claimed that the disagrees (none of which came from me) must be disagreements with advice to eat a more nutrient dense diet. I don't personally think that eating 200 g of carbs must mean a less nutrient dense diet than one with 70 g of carbs. High and lower carb diets can both be extremely nutrient dense and not nutrient dense at all. For me, cutting back BOTH fat and carbs were part of my "focus on more satiating and nutrient dense foods and cut cals without feeling like you are sacrificing anything" strategy.

With the clarifications I do think people are largely in agreement, and of course I know that for some eating fewer carbs can be helpful for satiety reasons.

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't think my carb percentage when gaining was particularly high. I do think I ate less protein and more carbs and fat than I did when losing, and that I was less active than I should have been.

When I look at periods where I've gained weight, I think it's always because my fat intake has crept up. It's not carbohydrates. This is probably because the carbohydrates I eat are pretty nutrient dense and I personally find them very filling. They're also pretty visible on the plate, where the fat I eat is more "invisible" (it's harder to notice an extra tablespoon of oil spread out across a whole dish and I'm not someone who is really satiated by extra fat in a meal).

It comes back to the bottom line that looking at what you're eating and making adjustments from there is usually going to be way more helpful than making changes based on abstract concepts. If I was planning my meals around the idea that carbohydrates aren't nutrient-dense and they cause fat storage, I'd be failing. And I'd be hungry!

You can plan wonderfully nutritious and delicious low carbohydrate diets. You can also have some pretty bleak and non-nutrient rich ones. Same for higher carbohydrate ways of eating.

What I don't see in this thread is anyone arguing that we shouldn't eat a nutrient-dense diet or that there is anything extreme about finding the way to do so that works best for your lifestyle and food preferences.

• ThinnerLiz
    Jane, I liked your comment, and agree, 100%. It's not the foods themselves, it's how they affect us. And we're all different.
    If we only have a certain amount of calories we can consume to lose/maintain, it makes sense that most of those should come from healthy, nutrient-dense sources, most of the time. What those macro nutrients end up looking like will vary between individuals, and that's a good thing.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited December 2019
    nm, would take explanation, not up for it...
  • ThinnerLiz
    I stand by what I said.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

I think you need to go back and reread your posts. You stated multiple times that insulin causes fat storage and once your stated to caused obesity and T2D. Based on the posts, I'm not the only one who interpreted your posts this way.

It's how I read this statement (from an earlier post in this thread by the user): "Carbs drive up insulin, which effects blood sugar, and ultimately, fat storage."

It sounds like a statement that carbohydrates cause fat storage.

That was my take as well, and similarly the statement about 200 g of carbs being bad because it keeps the insulin flowing.

I wouldn't have bothered going through it in detail except that another poster claimed that the disagrees (none of which came from me) must be disagreements with advice to eat a more nutrient dense diet. I don't personally think that eating 200 g of carbs must mean a less nutrient dense diet than one with 70 g of carbs. High and lower carb diets can both be extremely nutrient dense and not nutrient dense at all. For me, cutting back BOTH fat and carbs were part of my "focus on more satiating and nutrient dense foods and cut cals without feeling like you are sacrificing anything" strategy.

With the clarifications I do think people are largely in agreement, and of course I know that for some eating fewer carbs can be helpful for satiety reasons.

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't think my carb percentage when gaining was particularly high. I do think I ate less protein and more carbs and fat than I did when losing, and that I was less active than I should have been.

When I look at periods where I've gained weight, I think it's always because my fat intake has crept up. It's not carbohydrates. This is probably because the carbohydrates I eat are pretty nutrient dense and I personally find them very filling. They're also pretty visible on the plate, where the fat I eat is more "invisible" (it's harder to notice an extra tablespoon of oil spread out across a whole dish and I'm not someone who is really satiated by extra fat in a meal).

It comes back to the bottom line that looking at what you're eating and making adjustments from there is usually going to be way more helpful than making changes based on abstract concepts. If I was planning my meals around the idea that carbohydrates aren't nutrient-dense and they cause fat storage, I'd be failing. And I'd be hungry!

You can plan wonderfully nutritious and delicious low carbohydrate diets. You can also have some pretty bleak and non-nutrient rich ones. Same for higher carbohydrate ways of eating.

What I don't see in this thread is anyone arguing that we shouldn't eat a nutrient-dense diet or that there is anything extreme about finding the way to do so that works best for your lifestyle and food preferences.

Yes, agree. I think my excess cals tend to be more from fat too, although I think the bigger issue is a lack of mindfulness. When I thought through where my excess cals were coming from a lot of it was portion creep and using too heavy a hand with oil in cooking. Realizing that (and that I often did some mindless eating when at work late) made losing it much easier than it otherwise might have been, as I was able cut back on those things without it feeling like I was really eating less, and being more mindful made me make sure the cals I did eat were ones I really enjoyed.

I also was able to take stock of my activity levels and I realized that although I still walked a decent amount (big city, I walk all the time), I wasn't nearly as active as I'd once been and so my TDEE was lower than I'd realized. Getting that up was as important as anything for me.
  • ThinnerLiz
    Thank you, lemurcat, for your measured response. I try to be very clear in what I mean, and it can be frustrating when people make incorrect inferences. Cutting out important qualifiers like "may/might/could" means my words take on an entirely different meaning.

When I said that "Carbs are not the enemy", and "different people benefit from different diets", that's exactly what I meant.
    I never said that carbs are solely responsible for weight gain, nor did I say that they are lacking in nutrients. I like my carbs just as much as the next person.

There are people who believe "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" and it matters not if it's carb/fat/protein. I wouldn't imagine most here believe that, because there is a lot of information out there, and on this forum, that deals with how the body responds to food on a metabolic level and not all calories are created equal in terms of how they affect and nourish our bodies.
    But enough. I understand that people can be very sensitive to these issues and if a bunch of Low-Carb Keto Fans have been tromping all over with the "Carbs Will Kill Ya" mindset, I can see why people might react negatively to anything with a whiff of that.

But it's never been my intent to either push a way of eating on anyone, nor make light of anyone else's food choices. (Okay. Except for the Hot Dogs and Pickle Juice. I admit it, I think that's bizarre! ;) ) I merely agreed with the suggestion that it might be worth experimenting with lower carbs if people are kind of stuck and looking for something different to try.

To be honest, I was skeptical when I first tried The Zone Diet back in the 90s. I was sort of shocked to find I felt a lot better. I should have stuck with it, or something like it, because I got back in the same ruts and started to feel crappy again. (Wash, rinse, and repeat.) That led me here, eating the way I do now.
    I feel great, and I wanted to share that, in case anyone else might benefit from it. That's all.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    There are people who believe "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" and it matters not if it's carb/fat/protein.

For weight loss, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, Liz.

Where are you coming up with this stuff?