Shredded MFP'ers - Share your habits/best practices for maintenance (male/female)

Options
See title

To add, anyone else who has held low bf% for a long period of time (6+ months) as well. The intent here for me is to see what is working for others in this condition, the maintenance components in place, and social behaviors. Curiosity I suppose :)

Replies

• smith667metal
    smith667metal Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I to am curious?? My end goal is to be 10%-sub 10% I am around 14-15-16%( I have no idea for sure maybe some one can tell me from my profile picture ) and would also like to know how people maintain low bf% for long periods of time
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am clearly not shredded but I do maintain a leaner physique at least for a few months of the year. Maintaining long term is difficult for me as I find it boring. I prefer to stay lean during the summer, and grow in the fall/winter. This allows me to have a bit of a break for all those holidays... Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, my birthday, Valentine's, Easter etc. Even if I'm bulking I still stay fairly lean but not cut. In the future when I want to maintain long term I will probably continue this but with less fluctuation.. so be a few lbs up in winter and down again come summer. That works for me!

• fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I to am curious?? My end goal is to be 10%-sub 10% I am around 14-15-16%( I have no idea for sure maybe some one can tell me from my profile picture ) and would also like to know how people maintain low bf% for long periods of time

From avatar, I would estimate you to be around around 12%, you have solid definition overall. If you'd like I can share some habits that help me:

Diet:
    1. 2 big meals a day, ranging from 800-900 per meal. High protein, medium carbs, low fat. I find large chicken breasts (200-300g) cut up, seasoned, and eaten with bbq sauce to be highly satisfying and filling.

2. Black coffee and flavored sparkling water in between meals and throughout day, I'm sedentary in my profession (recruiting manager), and find the volume of talking the majority of my 8 hour days SLIGHTLY increases my NEAT.

3. 1 day out of the week (usually Thursday), I eat toward maintenance (2200 - 2300 calories) I use the calorie gap between meals to enjoy a social event, typically bar or lounge setting....I drink exclusively red wine, so the calories are extremely easy to control on a per glass basis.

4. Every Sunday, I usually eat 1 large high protein meal (around 1300 calories) at 1pm....usually keeps me full the majority of the day. The remainder of the day is usually enjoyed with family or friends, food and drink has no relevance to how i spend time with them, as I am choosing to indulge a bit more. I find that I have good control of not getting completely out of hand.
  • fitnessguy266
    Options

Routine:

Full body workout 4 times per week, sets and reps ranging from 5x5 to 4x6, composed of major compound lifts. My sessions last typically about 45 minutes.
  • fitnessguy266
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I am clearly not shredded but I do maintain a leaner physique at least for a few months of the year. Maintaining long term is difficult for me as I find it boring. I prefer to stay lean during the summer, and grow in the fall/winter. This allows me to have a bit of a break for all those holidays... Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, my birthday, Valentine's, Easter etc. Even if I'm bulking I still stay fairly lean but not cut. In the future when I want to maintain long term I will probably continue this but with less fluctuation.. so be a few lbs up in winter and down again come summer. That works for me!

Good deal! Most importantly, it is sustainable for you! That is the ultimate goal :)
  • sardelsa
    Options

Good deal! Most importantly, it is sustainable for you! That is the ultimate goal :)

Yea exactly! I think it depends on your goals, if you compete or if you are a fitness model and need to stay lean all year round. Do you compete/model?
  • fitnessguy266
    Options

Yea exactly! I think it depends on your goals, if you compete or if you are a fitness model and need to stay lean all year round. Do you compete/model?

Absolutely! I've competed in Men's Physique twice so far, and have been fortunate enough to place top 3 both times (such a great feeling!) Currently working toward a first place overall for March 2020....a lot of on point prep required but i love hard work😅
  • sardelsa
    Options

Absolutely! I've competed in Men's Physique twice so far, and have been fortunate enough to place top 3 both times (such a great feeling!) Currently working toward a first place overall for March 2020....a lot of on point prep required but i love hard work😅

Wow congratulations! That is definitely hard work and dedication right there.
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Curious as to what your height and weight measurements are? If 2200/2300 is around maintenance what do you take in when cutting? Looking nice and lean, do you know your current bf%
  • fitnessguy266
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Tic78 wrote: »

Curious as to what your height and weight measurements are? If 2200/2300 is around maintenance what do you take in when cutting? Looking nice and lean, do you know your current bf%

Height: 5"6
    Weight: 141
    Bodyfat %: 8

My cutting calories typically start at 1600 and taper off at around 1100 (I prefer my cuts quick and aggressive for a number of reasons).....Starting point is usually around 12 or so percent, and takes me roughly 7 weeks to reach 7% bodyfat for competitions, post-comp I maintain a fluctuation of high 7's to low 8's.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer to stay lean rather than shreddeded theses days. 10-12 %

In the past I’ve stayed under 10% for the summer, but Always found it a struggle to maintain for the long term.

At 10-12% I’m strong, have endurance and generally feel great, sub 10% my strength and endurance takes a massive nose dive and my blood work generally goes to rat *kitten*.

Personally it believe staying shredded is a case of genetics and appetite, if you have a naturallly low appetite and are pre disputation to been lean then it’s attainable long term, other wise your fighting a losing battle
  • fitnessguy266
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Personally I prefer to stay lean rather than shreddeded theses days. 10-12 %

In the past I’ve stayed under 10% for the summer, but Always found it a struggle to maintain for the long term.

At 10-12% I’m strong, have endurance and generally feel great, sub 10% my strength and endurance takes a massive nose dive and my blood work generally goes to rat *kitten*.

Personally it believe staying shredded is a case of genetics and appetite, if you have a naturallly low appetite and are pre disputation to been lean then it’s attainable long term, other wise your fighting a losing battle

10-12% is certainly more ideal long term....it's the "sweet spot" for most, with only some conscious effort here and there in terms of diet, assuming you don't just go full potato with caloric intake lol. Curious, what were some different habits you maintained to still have a social life while shredded?
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Social life and shredded

Designated driver for the lads night out,
    I’d drive they would provide the Coke Zero

Carb timing became important
    Pre and post work out carbs

Caffeine, micro dense meals, increased water intake

Checking myself when I started to act like
    I was something special/better than everyone else, at low bf I appear to get entitlement in daily life, especially at the gym

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Have been measuring my BF w/DEXA and hydro forvover 3 yrs started at +20% and have been as low as 8% but could not sustein thst.

Currently at 10-12% just eating w/my cal limit of 1500-1809 cal/day..

Stopped lifting heavy over a yr ago and was rowing 5k meters/day until recently due to a surgical procedure on my elbow which is still restricted to limited movement.

However, have been able to maintain my wt at between 147-152# without doing anything else and still have visible abs (never been "ripped" even at 8% w/lots of vacukarity and muscle dfn.

It really isn't that hard 2 maintain it as long as I am consistent in doing what it takes to control my caloric intake.
  • fitnessguy266
    edited December 2019
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Social life and shredded

Designated driver for the lads night out,
    I’d drive they would provide the Coke Zero

Carb timing became important
    Pre and post work out carbs

Caffeine, micro dense meals, increased water intake

Checking myself when I started to act like
    I was something special/better than everyone else, at low bf I appear to get entitlement in daily life, especially at the gym

Interesting....thanks for the feedback! It can be tough buckling down on hang out nights with the fellas, thankfully my boys always supported my passion and never pressured me....they are cool with the 2 dedicated days i indulge in alcohol with them, they say i appear to appreciate it more!😂 To your statement about the entitlement, definitely important to stay humble and be thankful for the insane amount of discipline it took you to get to single digit bf....as it can be easily be lost within a single week due to recklessness/arrogance.
  • fitnessguy266
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Have been measuring my BF w/DEXA and hydro forvover 3 yrs started at +20% and have been as low as 8% but could not sustein thst.

Stopped lifting heavy over a yr ago and was rowing 5k meters/day until recently due to a surgical procedure on my elbow which is still restricted to limited movement.

However, have been able to maintain my wt at between 147-152# without doing anything else and still have visible abs (never been "ripped" even at 8% w/lots of vacukarity and muscle dfn.

It really isn't that hard 2 maintain it as long as I am consistent in doing what it takes to control my caloric intake.

Your dedication to the sport despite the injury is awesome, 10-12% bf is definitely the consistent theme among lifters looking to stay lean without having to micromanage.....what was your social life like in the single digits?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Your dedication to the sport despite the injury is awesome, 10-12% bf is definitely the consistent theme among lifters looking to stay lean without having to micromanage.....what was your social life like in the single digits?

Thanks!

My social life was the same then as it is now.

I'm retired and live alone, have all the wt lifting and exercise equipment anyone could possibly need at home and buy/cook/make all of my own food. So, I have total control over what/when I eat and how/when I exercise.

I did have a weekend GF when I was at 8% but she had no effect on my eating habitsand exercise routine.
  • fitnessguy266
    Options
    I'll swing at this one...

I won't claim to be shredded or anything and with a bit of lose skin and cellulite left over from massive weight loss, it's difficult to say exactly where my bf level is...

6' @ 175lbs
    Suprailiac ~ 8%
    3pt Caliper ~ 8%
    Navy Method ~ 11%
    Skulpt Aim ~ 11%

So I look pretty good on paper, but take my shirt off and bend over slightly and I look like I'm melting 😂, but it keeps me humble and motivated to better myself I guess...

How have I maintained it...

I largely eat the same things every day during my work week... 4 or 5 light meals

Dinner is usually light, like a big salad with shrimp or hardboiled eggs, Greek yogurt for a dessert and I'll usually have some fruit and some kind of cookie or muffin, because I mean I'm not a monk or anything lol

And on the weekends, I'll have whatever I want but if we eat out I'll usually split the meal in to two

I've always believed the key is not motivation, nor discipline... It's mostly momentum

Haha! Certainly! Not sure where your disagree poster came from, you touched on a very important habit that supplements discipline and motivation.....the momentum. I believe building a momentum (or cadence) can be the catalyst to stay motivated! Good stuff, thanks for sharing!