How would you like your doctor/GP/family physician to help you lose weight?

We are often told, ‘go and see your doctor to help you lose weight’. What things would you like your doctor to help you with specifically? What to eat, how to exercise, alternative ways to lose weight, apps etc?
And what in hindsight do you think your doctor should say and do for other people to help them lose weight? (What worked for you)

Replies

• Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    edited December 2019
    To have an background with nutrition as I've read that General Physicians do not have the proper background in nutrition; it's not part of their medical school curriculum other than a workshop. I would only trust a Registered Dietitian because they have the proper education or if the doctor has taken measures to become certified with learning of the modern science not sponsored by a corporation (for example Coca-Cola funding Pediatric Association). In terms of exercise, I would look at a personal trainer who has worked with clients who are overweight and have know how to accomplish the goal of losing weight long term. In terms of "alternative ways" I would hope they wouldn't just say "just get bypass surgery" or recommending short-term crash diets (I've had a doctor in the pass recommend one so this is why I mentioned this). I want to see a M.D or D.O who has the proper certification, resources to advise, and goes with the science rather than Pseudoscience in their recommendations of nutrition.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I have never asked my PCP about weight loss advice. My frustration is that if i do go in for something it gets blamed on my weight. my RHR goes down to 36 (while awake), and i get dizzy when it happens. A few providers ive seen have said its because i exercise. Im 50 pounds over weight, but ok.