1750 Cal Intake

Options
JohnDaConqueror
JohnDaConqueror Posts: 52 Member
edited December 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Evening all, I’ve just increased my intake from 1500 cal to 1750 daily. I’m really interested to see if I’ll have any stalls on these new numbers a week with them. I’m 19 years old and I’m 5’11 weighing 258lbs. I was on 1500 calories daily for the last 7 months, I started my journey in May 2019 at 371lbs, so there isn’t any doubt that 1500 didn’t work me lol, I’ve lost weight consistently with that number. Although, I feel myself being a little more hungry and wanting some more wiggle room with my meals, etc.

I want to know your opinions if you think I might stall, obviously you can’t give me an accurate answer since there are many factors at play, but if you have an smiliar experiences, I would love to hear :).

And, yes I went to my TDEE to check my BMR, and it was 3,034, I then deducted 500 calories and got 2400. And, to be honest I feel this is to much and I wouldn’t eat this much per day.

Although, MyFitnessPal originally had with set with 1,760 calories a day, I created a custom calorie goal of 1750 just a couple mins ago for later today. So, is the MFP calorie recommendation really accurate or will be ok with eating around 1750 calories .

P.S. I’m sorry if I sound repetitive in my response lol, when it comes to asking questions about heath and my own concerns, I tend to spread my point out a little to much ;P.

Replies

• zuzanao
    zuzanao Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My sw was 244lb,I am 5.5ft.Sedentary lifestyle and my mfp calorie set up in order to lose 1lb a week is around 1760cal.I have been loosing consistently each week.I am now 236lb.started 20th Nov.
  • zuzanao
    zuzanao Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Btw congratulations on you huge fat loss so far!excellent work.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You're making incredible progress and should probably be dispensing advice rather than receiving it LOL That said, the only thing increasing from 1500 to 1750 will do will be to slow down your weight loss a bit, to the tune of around 1/2 lb per week. If you're comfortable with that, go for it. You are not going to get a "stall" from that, you're just going to get a little less weight loss.

I increased my cals from 1600 to 1750 a few months ago after 4 months of diligent 1600 and losing 2 lbs per week, because I was a little hungry and just felt like I needed a bit more food. My weight loss did slow to around 1.75 lbs/week from 2.0 but I feel that was an excellent trade-off that's enabled me to stay on track and on plan. I think it's a good thing to do if you're feeling a little deprived or burnt out at your current calorie level.
  • JohnDaConqueror
    Options
    zuzanao wrote: »
    My sw was 244lb,I am 5.5ft.Sedentary lifestyle and my mfp calorie set up in order to lose 1lb a week is around 1760cal.I have been loosing consistently each week.I am now 236lb.started 20th Nov.
    So, I guess MFP does know what's best for us, thanks for the reply and great job so far :)
  • JohnDaConqueror
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    You're making incredible progress and should probably be dispensing advice rather than receiving it LOL That said, the only thing increasing from 1500 to 1750 will do will be to slow down your weight loss a bit, to the tune of around 1/2 lb per week. If you're comfortable with that, go for it. You are not going to get a "stall" from that, you're just going to get a little less weight loss.

I increased my cals from 1600 to 1750 a few months ago after 4 months of diligent 1600 and losing 2 lbs per week, because I was a little hungry and just felt like I needed a bit more food. My weight loss did slow to around 1.75 lbs/week from 2.0 but I feel that was an excellent trade-off that's enabled me to stay on track and on plan. I think it's a good thing to do if you're feeling a little deprived or burnt out at your current calorie level.

Ah, very nice! Yes, I've been feeling like I reach my calories too quick and I don't have enough wiggle room for dinner, etc. I don't mind the slowdown, I will give these new numbers a try for two weeks is what I meant to say in my post and I'll see how my progress goes. I appreciate the response and congrats on your progress so far!

Also, I've been losing a consistent +12 pounds per month. So, I'm guessing with these new numbers, I should lose maybe around 7-9lbs a month. Heck, that's still awesome, I ain't complaining LOL.
  • lgfrie
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »

Ah, very nice! Yes, I've been feeling like I reach my calories too quick and I don't have enough wiggle room for dinner, etc. I don't mind the slowdown, I will give these new numbers a try for two weeks is what I meant to say in my post and I'll see how my progress goes. I appreciate the response and congrats on your progress so far!

Also, I've been losing a consistent +12 pounds per month. So, I'm guessing with these new numbers, I should lose maybe around 7-9lbs a month. Heck, that's still awesome, I ain't complaining LOL.

That is the same reason I increased my cals - I could make 1600 work but had no wiggle room. I think you'll really enjoy 1750 and you've definitely earned it.

It should only cost you 2.1 lbs per month off your 12 lbs/month, in theory. That's 250 calories * 30 days = 7500 calories = 2.14 lbs of fat. So you should still be able to lost 10 lbs/month and it'll probably be a lot easier to plug away at 1750 for a long time than it would at 1500. Plus, if you don't like it or get the weight loss you want, you can revert anytime! That's what I told myself, but the first day after I increased my cals, I knew there was no ever going back LOL

Good luck.
  • lgfrie
    Options
    P.S. A word to the wise - the first couple of weeks after you increase your cals, you may not like the scale results. I found when I increased from 1600 to 1750 there was a near immediate 3-ish pound gain that didn't go away. I think this was my body rebalancing water after a sustained period of time at 1600 cals/day, due to the increased carbs that come with greater daily caloric intake (carbs cause much water retention). Perhaps this little though persistent weight bump-up is what people have in mind when they talk about "stalls". Now mine was 3-ish pounds based on a 150 calorie daily increase, so you may see a little more than that at 250. All I can add is, one week when I went back to 1600 the extra few pounds fell right off, and then when I resumed 1750 they came back, so it's really just water weight and nothing to fret about.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,718 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Great progress yes. Looks to me to even be faster than 1% of body weight per week on average? Haven't done the math and might be visiting threads.

Up to 1.5% would probably still be considered fine for someone in the upper edges of weight. "Fine" may or may not be "optimal" for each individual.

Goal is double: both to lose and to maintain the loss long term

If you feel you understand the loss equation part of things--and it looks like you do, then you could work on the future maintenance part.

Too rapid of a loss may mean that you're opening yourself to gallbladder issues (associated with large weight losses). You're also opening yourself to a higher risk of non compliance if you make things too hard for you.

I am not sure that you're even currently able to practice your future eating given the low total calories!

Are you going to be maintaining at 1500 or 1750 or your current low 1300 days in the future? Probably not! So what is your typical 2500 Cal future maintenance day going to look like?

Have you practiced eating that way while your deficit is still there to help you fix any oopsies this may cause?

And you're opening yourself to the possibility of significant rebound hunger which again may be more controllable if you go through that time period during a slight deficit / during weight loss mode.

I would consider not only the 1750, and the use of a weight trend application (which I believe based on another post that you're already using) but perhaps even bumping up closer to what will be your eventual maintenance calories once you become normal weight.

They should still be a significant deficit at your current weight and you can adjust as needed when you move from obese to overweight at which point they *might* no longer be as significant of a deficit without tweeking and adjusting again.
  • DyneSalcar
    DyneSalcar Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" f at 271 pounds. I'm just under 2000 calories a day and so far I've had great success! I think raising your calories is a great plan if it will help you stay on track for the long haul!