Anyone up for starting again with me?

So, I gained back everything I lost.

I lost 10lbs and then I got fed up with obsessive calorie counting and tracking - I was having stress dreams about not knowing what was in things and it just got so bad that I decided to stop.

And of course I have gained everything back and now I feel ashamed and awful.

The worst part is that I comfort / stress eat. I feel ashamed that I eat even when I’m not hungry and also ashamed of how fat I am. I’m 5 foot 4 and 180lbs

Exercise is difficult because I have disabilities. So I’m sedentary, and I’m over eating. It’s no wonder I’m gaining and gaining.

But wow, it feels bad.

Replies

• FitnessGuru1969
    FitnessGuru1969 Posts: 1 Member
    I will cheer you on :) I'm 26 years old, 5'4" and 170. I used to be 215 and I have worked really hard to get to where I am. Definitely want 2020 to be the year that I get where I want to be! Cheer up buttercup. You got this :) If ya need encouragement, feel free to reach out :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    If you never leave, you don't have to come back.
  • goatelope
    goatelope Posts: 178 Member
    goatelope, I feel your pain. I'm 5'3 and 175. I have RA and bad knees. I also don't eat because I'm hungry, I eat because it tastes good! Trying to set some goals for 2020. Don't beat yourself up. I try to look in the mirror each day and tell myself that I want my body to be healthy and therefore I will do my best to follow some sort of plan to remove the extra weight. Start again, it will come with time. Hugs to you
    goatelope, I feel your pain. I'm 5'3 and 175. I have RA and bad knees. I also don't eat because I'm hungry, I eat because it tastes good! Trying to set some goals for 2020. Don't beat yourself up. I try to look in the mirror each day and tell myself that I want my body to be healthy and therefore I will do my best to follow some sort of plan to remove the extra weight. Start again, it will come with time. Hugs to you

Hey! Thanks - I tried to add you but it wouldn’t let me. But if you want to be friends that would be great. I’m definitely in a similar situation! It’s very hard but we can cheer each other on
  • Bren_bcot
    Bren_bcot Posts: 5 Member
    I'm in the same boat. Earlier in the year I lost 10lbs then gained it back with interest. Let's encourage and support each other. First steps back are always the hardest! We can do this!

• mcarden86
    mcarden86 Posts: 59 Member
    I've got fibromyalgia and need accountability. I'm in.
  • emmagordon100
    emmagordon100 Posts: 12 Member
    I'm with you!
    Starting again too. Ive gained back everything I'd lost last time round. I'm at home with two little ones and really struggling with energy, motivation, discipline. Comfort eating is too easy.
    I'm going away in May 2020 and just want to feel relaxed at the beach with my family. So bring it on for the next few months!
  • Come on people we can do this. Never give up and never give in....
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,268 Member
    I'm definitely up for starting over again. I've gained a ton of weight and was about to give up. Feel free to add me I'm on every day!
  • I know how you feel about I am 5'1 and I'm 250-260 pounds and i do the same thing you do but now it's day 2 for me
  • LakeHouse247
    LakeHouse247 Posts: 5 Member
    I am also starting over. It sucks. I am 5’8” and 195. I’m in my 40s, totally out of shape. I work long hours and just want to come home, eat, grade papers, watch Netflix a while with my dogs and go to bed. Finding it hard to be motivated, but I’m tired of feeling this way. If anyone needs an extra buddy, feel free to add me. Maybe we could encourage each other? 😏🏃‍♀️🧘‍♀️
  • gwinhart17
    gwinhart17 Posts: 34 Member
    Starting again here too, We got this guys!! I lost 80 lbs last time (years ago) and slowly gained it all back with some extra. Started again at the end of August, and now I'm down 33 lbs. It's not easy, I have bad days and good days, but I love this, I feel great and I dont know why the hell I ever stopped! Im really gaining some momentum now cuz I had that aha moment, where I'm like omg I remember how great this felt! I have energy and I'm happy and so much more productive and I can really see it now, I just feel like the best version of myself. Keep at it, you will get here and remember too!!
  • SaritaJack
    SaritaJack Posts: 48 Member
    gwinhart17 wrote: »
    Im really gaining some momentum now cuz I had that aha moment, where I'm like omg I remember how great this felt!

I need to have that moment! I’m in a similar boat, working on losing everything I gained back, except I’m right at the beginning. I’ve fallen into a terrible comfort-eating pattern. I remember when I got pregnant a few years ago eating 2000 calories a day seemed impossible, and now it feels like torture to eat fewer. 😣 Today has been a better day, though, thankfully.
  • SaritaJack
    SaritaJack Posts: 48 Member
    goatelope -
    I feel you! I gained back 10lbs, and even though I’m still waaaay lighter than I used to be, it feels awful. We can do this!
  • Lithinissi
    Lithinissi Posts: 13 Member
    yup here i go
  • lindar1207
    lindar1207 Posts: 4 Member
    @goatelope I'm 5'3" and up to 182 and understand where you are coming from. I'm still in the process of finding out what exercise I now can enjoy, my favorite I can no longer do which was running. I've decided 2020 is my year I will be healthier than I have been since 2017. I will find a new fit for exercise I just can't give up. We can do it 😊. I'm new to this site.
  • gwinhart17
    gwinhart17 Posts: 34 Member
    SaritaJack wrote: »
    gwinhart17 wrote: »
    Im really gaining some momentum now cuz I had that aha moment, where I'm like omg I remember how great this felt!

I need to have that moment! I’m in a similar boat, working on losing everything I gained back, except I’m right at the beginning. I’ve fallen into a terrible comfort-eating pattern. I remember when I got pregnant a few years ago eating 2000 calories a day seemed impossible, and now it feels like torture to eat fewer. 😣 Today has been a better day, though, thankfully.

That moment will definitely come, just keep at it! For me, it's definitely about 'today being a better day', lol. I fell into a terrible comfort eating pattern as well, but now I'm starting to figure out that it was because I was too strict and hard on myself the first time. I stressed it alot, almost obsessively.

That's why i absolutely love MFP and have 'thoroughly adopted' an 80/20 percent approach now. Lol. I dont deprive myself of the things I enjoy or crave, its unrealistic to think I will never eat fast food again or never go on a late night munch-fest...those things still happen, but I try to keep them few and far between and make smarter choices during that time.

Also, when it does happen I try not to beat myself up about it too bad, I just try to be very careful and really clean up my eating for the next few days. (Hence, the 'today was a better day') The way I see it, Im still doing better than I was.

I read somewhere on a different board where a member of the community said that it is "constant problem solving", figuring out what works for you and applying it to yourself and your goals, and that really resonated with me.

I have a long way to go....the rest of my life in fact which I am working hard at prolonging 🙂 I set my weight loss goal at 1 lb per week, and it works well for me, but if it didnt i could always set it at .5, or 2 lbs or whatever and go back and change it later. 1 works for me because I like having that bubble of a larger limit available to me, but if I'm not that hungry and I dont use it, then all the better. As long as you are in a deficit you will still lose, I just try to keep in mind that sometimes I need a good lean protein and complex carb to keep full, and sometimes I need that damn bowl of sugar sweetened cereal, because if not I will eat everything in my path ending with the stupid cereal anyway.

I know it's different for everyone, and some people may disagree with my approach, but it seems to be working for me for now, and I'm ENJOYING it more this way, without stressing so much. And if it stops working (which I'm sure it will when I start to plateau, or have less to lose) i will adjust accordingly and find what does. Hope this helps!
  • newmo2021
    newmo2021 Posts: 2 Member
    Reading all your posts encourages me! I’m 5’7’’ and have reached 190. Don’t recognize myself in pictures but am still in denial. Strange how that works. Used to be so active and then wrecked my knee in the summer. Also a full-time teacher which means that I grab food when I can and don’t schedule in time for exercise. Plus have a couple kids. It’s busy and hard but I’m so sick of feeling like a blob. I’d love to start again on the 1st and really make some changes!
  • newmo2021
    newmo2021 Posts: 2 Member
    Oh, and 23 to lose has now become 30+.
  • cbc4deb
    cbc4deb Posts: 13 Member
    I am starting up again too. Back in 2015 weighed 264, lost 35lbs using MFP, but life and chaos happened and now I am back at 260. Determined to lose the weigh this time and keep it off!!!