How would you like your doctor/GP/family physician to help you lose weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    @seltzermint555 I am saddened to hear of your experience. I can not for the life of me imagine any doctor speaking to one of their patients like that, but can appreciate the lasting impact it had on you. If any of my doctors spoke to my children like that there is no way I'd ever set foot inside their door again. Those sorts of comments are more likely to bring about eating disorders instead of healthy weight loss. It is such a positive ending though to read that you found a doctor that helped you achieve and maintain a healthy weight.

What I would look for in a doctor? One that is honest that I can easily relate. One who accepts his limitations and will refer me on when necessary. This would include a dietitian if necessary as I wouldn't expect him to be an expert in weight loss. One that is holistic, looking at the physical, psychological, social and cultural aspects of my life. Fortunately, the doctor I have been seeing for over 20 years fits the criteria well.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i love my PCP - she is a PA that i've been seeing for 4 years now - she's seen me at my lowest weight in 4 years and my highest - which while obese on BMI scale, i'm still at 22% BF (so she isn't too worried about me)

i do wish in general getting help was easier - for example, I can't use my flex spending for a dietician unless i get a refer and typically then that is when its too late and you are already overweight - so reactive rather than proactive
  • gogetemrogue
    gogetemrogue Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would want my PCP to be able to refer me to a reputable registered dietitian that would help me create a healthy deficit.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My mother's GP; when she mentioned that she felt her weight was not under control and that she needed help; GP wrote out a referral to a registered and licensed dietician with a proper education. Not only that, but at the next visit for her medication the GP actually followed up with her, whether she went and what progress had been made.
    Three years on. Mum (75) has lost 25 Kg She is still overweight borderline obese. She feels it is OK now, and her GP is monitoring how she is doing. If she regains anything I am sure it will get mentioned.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    One of my friends got a thing called a green card from her gp after she got diagnosed with pre-diabetes. It gave her free access to a gym, a velodrome and a swimming pool. I'm not sure what else she got with it. She didn't do very well, however, and went on to get full diabetes so I guess she could have done with a nutritionist or coach.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I have a great doctor who brought it up by asking me questions about it...the conversation went something like this...

DOC: How do you feel about where your weight is right now?
    ME: I know I've gained some, and I'm not too happy about it.
    DOC: What do you think would be a good weight goal for you?
    ME: I think around 140?
    DOC: That sounds good. How do you want to go about getting there?

Etc...etc...it was all questions from her.

She made me come to my own conclusions about it, and just affirmed that I had a good plan. She said to let her know if I wanted a referral to a dietician or any other resources. It wasn't a lecture, which I think can turn people off.

A year later, when I came back below the goal I had set, she just said "Yay!", confirmed that I was now at a healthy weight, and encouraged me to maintain.

I liked this a lot- asking questions to help a patient think about their own situation and the kinds of changes they might be willing to make. Empowering the person and encouraging them to be invested in their own health, as opposed to giving them a mandate. And then perhaps follow up with encouragement to avoid gimmicks and find a balanced approach. As opposed to my 2 most-hated pieces of advice people seem to be given- go on a 1200 calorie diet and eliminate bread & pasta.

I know the subject is a landmine for doctors, but personally I wish more felt the courage to raise the topic (in the non-judgmental fashion outlined above). When I was at my highest weight, I was having (naturally) several nagging health issues, and my doctor never made a peep and let me undergo several expensive tests that found nothing. Afterward, I determined to see if I could help myself through weight loss, better diet, and exercise. It "cured" everything. When I noted this to my doctor, she enthusiastically said, "I thought that would probably help!", but she had never suggested that to me. :/

We once had a family doctor that impressed me. I had lost a fair amount of weight before he became our doctor but bemoaned to him that stress and a string of illnesses had caused me to lose my good habits. He asked, "So what kind of plan could you put in place to prevent that from happening in the future?" I was dumbstruck, and it did, in fact, help me appreciate that I wasn't a victim or a failure, I just needed a better plan. :) Questions are awesome.

Empowerment! You have hit the nail on the head there. We all have the resources to achieve the weight-related goals we are after. It is just a matter of realising it and then utilising them in an individual way which works for us. A doctor who knows how to empower is one who will achieve the best outcomes for their patients.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    fit_chickx wrote: »
    @j_eanie fantastic topic.

Unfortunately, I agree its lack of education, Many medical facility's don't have the money or staff to put together real treatment options. How would I like a DR/GP/FP help me to lose weight? A simple referral to a program offered by my local hospital (My Dr, had no clue this program existed)

Drs diagnose medical issues and give advice on the best route to address weight and nutrition.

People suffering from eating disorders, are referred to a specialized mental health program

Diabetic issues are treated and given education and nutrition to meet their needs

They offer supervised with loss. Appointments with a dietitian. Weight loss diet/nutrition is NOT a one size fits all. They go over your medical history, medications, blood work, hormones and any risk factors to develop a individualized weight loss eating plan.

Exercise - Some classes are offered for people with mobility issues. Insurance company's may cover free gym memberships. Support groups have scheduled days for group fitness.

Group behavior change class facilitated by a psychiatrist

Classes on navigating grocery store for healthy eating and ordering healthy at restaurants.

Cooking classes

Support groups facilitated by nursing staff

Education and treatment for the obesity.

Options for bariatric surgery – Referral to an education seminar that go’s over gastric sleeve, Mini by pass, SIPS, Roux -N – Y bypass (many surgeons don’t do band or balloon procedures) Insurance approval, medical and/physiological pre surgery exams. Pre surgery education with one year dietitian support, five years of check ups. cooking classes, behavior change support groups Etc…

Only my opinion,
    We can agree weight gain is food choices and eating over your maintenance calories. But, it so much more than that. age, sex, medical issues, genetics/body physiology, medication, mental health. hormones access to healthy food/income.

It's unfortunate that these services are primarily offered to only WLS candidates. I was referred to WW (lost but now the constant program changes don't help), received 1200 calorie chicken/ fish/ and veggie for life handouts, a social worker who suggested more dieting to treat binge eating/ exercise bulimia, and a nutritionist who had an "I can't be bothered, go back to the social worker" attitude. I'm currently paying out of pocket for more in depth intervention from an RD, much of the intervention and follow up similar to that of a bariatric program. I wish my insurance covered this, it's not cheap but worth it. In my experience with many doctors, WLS is the only intervention most doctors believe works, so they can't be bothered to be more thorough. I was even told to gain weight to qualify for surgery. Honestly I wish I had at times, because my insurance won't cover the skin removal I need unless I had WLS.

• Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I'm through the looking glass on this one; I've had two doctors (a family friend PA and a BIL internist) ask ME about fitness and nutrition.
    Despite my -IMO- moderate and practical advice, one still eats most of his meals from vending machines and the other is starting the Red Juice/Green Juice stuff.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    My Drs have either said, "Your weight is good" (and it is) or "Your cholesterol and BP are just slightly high, not enough for me to put you on any medication, but losing 10 kg wouldn't be a bad idea" (and so I have).
  • dllsb
    dllsb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Was feeling so much frustration over the weekend... my doctor recommended for me to do a keto diet.... did some research on my own and from everything I read my doctor’s recommendation was dead opposite from what I need. While it can work well all research indicated that if you are a female over 40 with severe hormone issues Keto is not the way to go. It has just gotten too complicated for me. I thought I ate incredibly well but can’t seem to stop the weight gain. Need a metabolic reset or something....😕
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    dllsb wrote: »
    Was feeling so much frustration over the weekend... my doctor recommended for me to do a keto diet.... did some research on my own and from everything I read my doctor’s recommendation was dead opposite from what I need. While it can work well all research indicated that if you are a female over 40 with severe hormone issues Keto is not the way to go. It has just gotten too complicated for me. I thought I ate incredibly well but can’t seem to stop the weight gain. Need a metabolic reset or something....😕

If possible, something like this might be when I'd ask for a referral to a dietitian, who would likely have more individualized and helpful advice than "do keto."

Have you tried logging at MFP?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Going to a doctor in regards to losing weight would be like going to an engineer when I need a carpenter.

Humans have a need to over-complicate issues, especially when their ego is at risk.

I particularly do not want to be billed by a physician to tell me to "eat less and move more" - a colossal waste of both our time.
  • retgarr
    retgarr Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't expect my GP to do much except tell me where I am, where I should be, and maybe suggest resources.