How to neutralize iron from Protine rich diets usually excess in iron

Options
I feel this something important I tried to research online but dint found much of solutions for it. I want to have a Protine rich diet but also want to take case of side effects like this naturally.

Please do suggest some natural food where it can lower the risk of accumulation of too much iron in body.

One thing that may help in reduce iron content is Blood Donation, again it is good only once or twice a year, so sticking to food is always good.

Let me know if you have some idea on it, thanks in advance guys.

Replies

• JagaSrik
    JagaSrik Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "protein rich" diet?

The body is pretty good at regulating if you are just getting your iron from food.

Protine rich diet usually have more iron in it, like red meat, chicken, liver, eggs, fish... Etc..
    Getting iron from only food no supplements, I want to know is there anyway I can help my body to regulate it while having all these good..
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily answering your question, but one can donate blood every 8 to 12 weeks.

It's a good plan for everyone to get regular check ups that include both blood and urine tests, but it's especially smart for anyone on a "non-standard" diet.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How much iron are you consuming daily?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    JagaSrik wrote: »
    I feel this something important I tried to research online but dint found much of solutions for it. I want to have a Protine rich diet but also want to take case of side effects like this naturally.

Please do suggest some natural food where it can lower the risk of accumulation of too much iron in body.

One thing that may help in reduce iron content is Blood Donation, again it is good only once or twice a year, so sticking to food is always good.

Do you have hemachromatosis?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Do you have hemachromatosis?

Sorry hemochromatosis.
    https://www.hemochromatosis.org/
    https://haemochromatosis.org.au/
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    There is zero science in a high protein causing dangerously high iron levels or deposits in the people who don't have a medical condition. In fact, active people who lift weights (and women in general) are better off with the additional iron from a high protein diet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "protein rich" diet?

The body is pretty good at regulating if you are just getting your iron from food.

Protine rich diet usually have more iron in it, like red meat, chicken, liver, eggs, fish... Etc..
    Getting iron from only food no supplements, I want to know is there anyway I can help my body to regulate it while having all these good..

I'm anemic and can't get enough iron from diet alone. Protein in general isn't what I consider super high iron. Liver is. Some red meats are better sources of iron than others.

If you have a medical condition as mentioned above, your doctor should be monitoring your iron levels and give you the dietary info you need or refer you to a dietitian. Absent a medical condition, it's exceedingly unlikely you have anything to worry about.
  • gogetemrogue
    gogetemrogue Posts: 80 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

Yup. I eat primarily protein -- I'm not true low carb, but I'm lower carb -- and I'm iron deficient anemic, to the point that my dietitian and PCP were both "You can't fix this with diet." (So now I get iron infusions. It's fantastic. I feel human again.)

Protein alone does not cause excess iron levels unless you have a very specific medical condition.

Do you make sure you get enough vitamin C? I was anemic earlier this year even though I eat food cooked on a cast iron pan many times a week and eat plenty of animal protein. Researched around and found that vitamin C aids iron absorption. Added in oranges to my diet and started feeling better.

Edit: I realized this post might have come off as telling you to disregard doctor advice of getting transfusions. By all means keep doing them if they work and you doctor continues to prescribe them. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Yup. I eat primarily protein -- I'm not true low carb, but I'm lower carb -- and I'm iron deficient anemic, to the point that my dietitian and PCP were both "You can't fix this with diet." (So now I get iron infusions. It's fantastic. I feel human again.)

Protein alone does not cause excess iron levels unless you have a very specific medical condition.

Do you make sure you get enough vitamin C? I was anemic earlier this year even though I eat food cooked on a cast iron pan many times a week and eat plenty of animal protein. Researched around and found that vitamin C aids iron absorption. Added in oranges to my diet and started feeling better.

Edit: I realized this post might have come off as telling you to disregard doctor advice of getting transfusions. By all means keep doing them if they work and you doctor continues to prescribe them. :)

I'm a different iron deficient anemic than the one to whom you responded. I know you're trying to be helpful, but I can't help but laughing at the thought of my condition being helped by iron from cast iron pans (I realize you also mentioned animal protein) and vitamin C from oranges.

Every day, I take powdered, buffered vitamin C to "bowel tolerance," which for me is 2670 mg. 100 g of orange has 59 g.

You get the most iron from cast iron pans when you are not using them normally or correctly - new pans, not well seasoned, acidic foods. https://nutritionovereasy.com/2015/05/cast-iron-pans-can-increase-your-iron-intake/

I'm sure @collectingblues's dietitian and PCP were correct in their assessment that "You can't fix this with diet."
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It is always good to have adequate water intake, if you are already sure about this--please ignore. GL
  • gogetemrogue
    gogetemrogue Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm a different iron deficient anemic than the one to whom you responded. I know you're trying to be helpful, but I can't help but laughing at the thought of my condition being helped by iron from cast iron pans (I realize you also mentioned animal protein) and vitamin C from oranges.

Every day, I take powdered, buffered vitamin C to "bowel tolerance," which for me is 2670 mg. 100 g of orange has 59 g.

You get the most iron from cast iron pans when you are not using them normally or correctly - new pans, not well seasoned, acidic foods. https://nutritionovereasy.com/2015/05/cast-iron-pans-can-increase-your-iron-intake/

I'm sure @collectingblues's dietitian and PCP were correct in their assessment that "You can't fix this with diet."

Absolutely never should one replace doctor's orders with some person's anecdotal advice on the internet~