Obese and looking for C25k help.

Good morning and Happy 2020. I've never been a resolutioner in the past but made a goal with my wife to run a 5k in September this year. It is a ways away but as stated in the subject line, I am obese...very obese. I am 6'7" and 374lbs so certainly not the image of a runner.

Obviously weightloss is needed as the starting point but I am hoping someone who was been in similar shoes as mine may have a good recommendation as to which C25k app is the best for a guy like me. Thank you for any help in advance. Have a wonderful New year.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Sorry, no app suggestions. Just want to say that new runners have a high injury rate, and it's even higher with obese people, so consider waiting a few months until you've lost some weight and are more active. C25K only takes 9 weeks. In the mean time, you could pick short-term goals like walking a 10K and doing 5 minutes of jump rope, for example.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    I personally used the NHS podcasts instead of a c25k app. If you don’t already have a good walking base I’d recommend starting there. After 4-6 weeks of walking 30 minutes 4-5 times per week.
  • Keller459
    Keller459 Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you all for your insight thus far. Injury is my biggest fear with starting to run but do walk regularly at a good pace. While I do have a fair amount of time until the run, my history has proven that I am the king of procrastination. I appreciate all the tips thus far and am all ears for anything further. Thanks.
  • Bari_Tone
    Bari_Tone Posts: 45 Member
    Start with walking. When you can walk briskly for 45 minutes or so, then add in short jogs. Keep your running portions very slow. You can use an app or just do it informally by running from one mailbox to the next or one telephone pole to the one after. The most important thing is to be consistent about your exercise.

^^^this^^^

And your goal is to still be doing this at the end of February. Start slow and don't overdo it. It took a while to gain the weight, it will take a while to lose it and get fit.

BUT - you are in the right place!
  • susiemcmac
    susiemcmac Posts: 356 Member
    I agree with what everyone else has said - get your walking base up first. When you start the C25k training - give yourself extra weeks and allow yourself to repeat weeks if you aren’t ready to move to the next level - listen to your body and get moving!
  • AmbarlyRules
    AmbarlyRules Posts: 3 Member
    Keller459 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your insight thus far. Injury is my biggest fear with starting to run but do walk regularly at a good pace. While I do have a fair amount of time until the run, my history has proven that I am the king of procrastination. I appreciate all the tips thus far and am all ears for anything further. Thanks.

I agree with everyone about walking first. But if you’re worried about procrastination, you could set up a couple races between now and your 5k goal race. A lot of races these days have 1 mile fun runs to do. Maybe set a goal to walk one of those in March and run one in May? And depending on how that goes sign up for a 5k with the intention to walk it sometime in July/August? This gives you some shorter term goals and races before you get to the event you’re training for in September.