Today I'm cleaning out my kitchen

julebrus2020
julebrus2020 Posts: 26 Member
edited January 2020 in Getting Started
It's crazy how much fad foods I've somehow collected over the last 2-3 years. Things that were supposed to help me lose weight and ended up collecting dust. Even the occasional chocolate of questionable age I found, did not make up for all the out of date crap that I ended up just throwing out after a second of soul searching.

Like the 2 2kg buckets of protein powder that I was going to use for easy lunches. I might have kept them if they didn't smell like vomit and remind me of why I never really got into using them in the first place.

So much nuts and seeds where the stench of rancid hit me the second I opened the containers until I stopped opening them and just tossing it all away.

The strange powders, and superfoods; the accai powder, the blueberry powders, the hempseed powders. Seriously, why did I keep buying them when I knew I had a drawer full at home? Are they good? Bad? Who knows, they smell just as strange now as I remember they did when I got them.

This time I'm combining my weight loss journey with a food budget. No more stupid "healthy" fad foods. Although you will have to pry my chia seeds out of my cold dead hands, because those things are delicious.

Replies

• Dawners911
    Dawners911 Posts: 2 Member
    I am right there with you!! But, chia seeds were also something that I bought and didn't know what to do with. Can you share what you love about them so much!!? I'm very interested in using them, I just don't know how. Thanks!
  • Ziggyiguana82
    Ziggyiguana82 Posts: 29 Member
    Ditto. The ubiquitous take-with-you-everywhere protein shakes. 🤮
  • julebrus2020
    edited January 2020
    @Dawners911 I take a tablespoon and mix it with about 1dl of soymilk and leave it in the fridge overnight. Then I mix it into porridge or smoothies. That or 2 tablespoons of seeds mixed with 1/2 cup of soymilk, and a dash of honey, leave overnight and have chia pudding with some banana or fresh berries.

Fair warning; A tablespoon a day makes me poop like a champion. So...maybe don't overdoo it before you know your own limits.
  • julebrus2020
    @runzfromzombies the worst part is I think I might have kept it and had some use for it if I didn't choose the worst flavours. Fake strawberry, and chocolate with coconut? I don't even like coconut, why did I think I would drink it?
  • Dawners911
    Dawners911 Posts: 2 Member
    Fair warning; A tablespoon a day makes me poop like a champion. So...maybe don't overdoo it before you know your own limits.

That would be super helpful for me!! :D
  • Nytestar1111
    Nytestar1111 Posts: 3 Member
    Me too. The only thing I'm keeping with is my Collagen and Greens Powder.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Dawners911 wrote: »
    I am right there with you!! But, chia seeds were also something that I bought and didn't know what to do with. Can you share what you love about them so much!!? I'm very interested in using them, I just don't know how. Thanks!

Chia seeds plus chocolate almond milk refrigerated for 24 hours makes a great pudding of sorts.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    @Dawners911 I add them to oatmeal (a teaspoon or so), smoothies (tsp.) and muffin batter (closer to a tablespoon). Just adds some fiber, crunch, and omega 3s...