Coffee Flavouring While Dieting

Replies

• bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    You could boil the coffee with cinnamon powder cocoa, or chai spices .I used vanilla bean too but I have a lot we leftover from baking and cooking with it so I kind of just recycle on it
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    For only 25 calories, I use a full cup of heated unsweetened cashew milk with a cup of coffee and sweeten with stevia. i cover the stevia flavor with nutmeg, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. Or I sweeten with a flavored stevia.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Meelisv wrote: »
    Though I probably should really try not to drink it, I still love my "white" coffee at the office, specially in the morning. I can't stand black coffee and I also don't like creamers, so I just drink an average latte or cappuccino, made with skim or 2% milk, usually 2 cups per day, sometimes 3. Some days I still manage to skip coffee. I work it into my calorie limit so no problem there.
    guppi03 wrote: »

The calories aren't my problem but I'm trying to drop my carbs below 50g a day and the creamer is taking up a big chunk. Any suggestions of what to replace it with?
    Any specific reason to torture yourself with going low carb (unless you like it of course).

For some people it's torture not to go low carb. If you're prone to unstable blood sugar, eating too many carbs can cause hunger and cravings. For me, that's a worse torture than limiting carbs.
  • guppi03
    guppi03 Posts: 21 Member
    edited August 2017
    I'm definitely bloating when I eat carbs which surprises me. I didn't think I bloated at all. I found I was headachy and crabby when I was super low carb. Someone on another forum said to make sure your salt intake is high enough if that happens. Maybe I'll try again.

I forgot to mention too that I'm cutting all artificial sweeteners. So far very happy with that decision and couldn't go back.

I found a great video on YouTube about making coffee great. Linked in nicely with our chat.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1JLVwJqwby8
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    I like CoffeeMste Sugar Free sweet Italian cream.... 15 cals per Tablespoon
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    I use a packet of hot cocoa in mine. Not exactly low carb, but it's only 80 calories instead of the 140 for sugar and half and half I used to drink.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    half and half or heavy cream plus flavor extracts

if you take a pint of heavy cream and add maybe a teaspoon to tablespoon of vanilla extract (or almond extract, or lemon extract, or whatever flavor you like - extracts are alcohol based, just watch the ingredients some companies add sugar or corn syrup), then use about 2T (be sure to measure) then that might be enough even without any sweetener

stevia if you need some sweetness - you can even grow your own in a window sill and just add a few crushed leaves to your coffee pot while it's brewing

some people like dry seasonings in their coffee, like cinnamon or nutmeg or clove
  • guppi03
    guppi03 Posts: 21 Member
    If you don't like the idea of low carb, don't do it. You're more likely to stick to a deficit if you are eating foods you enjoy. And low carb won't help you lose any faster! :)

As I mentioned in the comment above, your support was so helpful.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    There are so many sugar free options. Sugar free coffee mate or ID, cream or half and half with sugar free flavored syrup or sweetener, different milks, etc. Just pick something you like.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited January 2020
    I use 2 grams of fat free powered coffee mate original and around 12 grams of liquid coffee mate toasted marshmallow & mocha per cup...I usually have two cups in the morning which equals around 80 calories total. Considering I used to consume about 600 calories per large latte , 80 is basically zero. Took me awhile to get used to a ton less sugar, but now it is awesome to my taste buds. I have to have REAL SUGAR ...stevia and other artificial sweeteners are horrible tasting imo.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    If you are looking to lower carbs try using heavy cream. Just a tbsp is lots and you may find you need less. I have not found a sweetener that is any good in hot beverages but there are a variety you may like. I use actual ground spices in my grounds before brewing sometimes. Pumpkin spice, cinnamon, cocoa powder, etc. Unlike you I am fine with black coffee. But the spices and cream are nice for a change.
  • sherinesenegal
    sherinesenegal Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Everyone,
    How should I be flavouring my coffee to loss weight.

To explain... I am a working mom with two toddlers and am trying to restart my weight loss journey. I just cannot give up my coffee and I definitely can't drink it black. Right now I'm using flavoured coffee creamers. The calories aren't my problem but I'm trying to drop my carbs below 50g a day and the creamer is taking up a big chunk. Any suggestions of what to replace it with?

• jconnelly103
    jconnelly103 Posts: 2 Member
    try adding a few dashes of cinnamon and plain lowfat half and half
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    I still flavor my coffee with whatever I am feeling like when I go to the grocery store....typically some type of vanilla. But one tablespoon doesn't usually do it for me so I add a few extra stevia vanilla liquid sweetener drops.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Silk Light Vanilla Almond Milk (roughly 0.7 carbs per Tbsp.) & some Splenda works well for me.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Thanks everyone,
    OliveGir128 I'd love to know the name of the coffee you buy. Meelisv, I debate back and forth between whether to go low carb or focus solely on calories. I've done well in the past with just low calorie but a lot of the books I've been reading focused on low carb. I don't really like it. I don't crave grains but I love fruit

It all comes down to being in a calorie deficit for weight loss, regardless of the type of diet you choose to follow. If you do well with low calorie, then do that. Find your best success!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Your calories are what matter for weight loss. 50g carbs a day is super low and completely unnecessary for weight loss. Consider reevaluating that restriction and set up an approach that is more sustainable long term. 🤗
  • s_rivera_92
    s_rivera_92 Posts: 92 Member
    I thought I'd never enjoy drinking my coffee black. But after cutting out my creamer (sugar free caramel), energy drinks, and sodas, eating healthier for a month, and experimenting with honey and almond milk in a coffee for about two weeks... idk. I just suddenly appreciate black coffee. I've never been a sweets person either though (dark chocolate and black licorice were always my go to if I wanted candy). I think if you increase your fruits and vegetables and get used to munching on whole grains as opposed to white (as you may have already done), you'll start finding your creamer to abrasively sweet.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    stefa_roth wrote: »
    I thought I'd never enjoy drinking my coffee black. But after cutting out my creamer (sugar free caramel), energy drinks, and sodas, eating healthier for a month, and experimenting with honey and almond milk in a coffee for about two weeks... idk. I just suddenly appreciate black coffee. I've never been a sweets person either though (dark chocolate and black licorice were always my go to if I wanted candy). I think if you increase your fruits and vegetables and get used to munching on whole grains as opposed to white (as you may have already done), you'll start finding your creamer to abrasively sweet.

I was just about to write in favor of slowly switching to black coffee. I think it has really helped me with my appetite due to not having calories and sugar in the morning, plus it just gives me those extra calories to use later in the day. I now just have black coffee until lunch at 1pm, and it’s really helped me manage my appetite and my daily calorie intake. Note that I’m not trying to say that black coffee is magic, but just that the lack of the calories and sugar helps me. YMMV.