Might take 8 months to lose weight.

Options
Just a reminder that losing weight takes time. Don't get ahead of yourself, there is no quick fix like the magazines say. Don't give up and lose hope if you're not losing weight fast enough for the magazines, keep at it!

Replies

• dvarrassi12
    Options
    Great reminder! It took me awhile to be okay with a slow loss, but I know in the end it will be sustainable. :)
  • aslm
    aslm Posts: 71
    Options
    Thanks for that, just what I needed today!!! Have a good day!!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Thanks,

I try to look at it like investing in the stock market...
    It has it's ups and down, but as long as it's going in the right direction overall no need to panic.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Totally correct. For most of us, it probably took years to put all the weight on, so why should we expect it to come of in just weeks? Slow and steady wins the race :laugh:
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Yes!
    One thing I also feel people are forgetting or not taking into consideration is that when you reach your goal, how much work are you willing to put down in order to maintain your new weight.
    You might need to train just as much or even more to stay in shape, as you did getting in to shape. Its not like a miracle happens the day you reach your goal thats gonna make you stay that way without hard work. You need to ask yourself not only how much work your willing to put down to get into shape and how much your willing to do to stay in shape, and adjust your goals after that.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    sustainable.

That's the main thing right there! No point losing 50 lbs, cutting all the nice stuff out...then gaining it all back further down the line. Do whatever you can do lose weight slowly, while at the same time feeling like you could carry on doing what you're doing for the rest of your life if needed!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Being on MFP I had to reteach myself how to eat and also enjoy life. No diets, just eating smaller portions and staying active. I'm sure lots of people saw the big numbers at the beginning of their journey and think that it will continue for the rest of it, but it doesn't. There will be days where you will gain a few pounds do to sodium, it's fine..chug that water and it will come off in a couple days. Wake up and don't see the numbers you like? Let that fuel your fire and put in a good workout. We all have to remember that just because we don't agree with the scale..we're up and active and teaching ourselves how to live..not just to sit there and let the world go by. It's taken me 9 months to get to where I'm at and I'm looking forward to the next 9 months.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    And 8 months from now you'll wish you'd started today. Hang in there.
  • Reneda
    Reneda Posts: 140
    Options
    Thank you sooooo much for this.. This was the reminder that I needed to get me out of feeling like a failure because it's not coming off faster... You're my angel for the day.. :-)
  • kfitz10103
    Options
    It has taken me 8 months to lose 57 lbs. I am committed to keeping it off and to getting healthier. I still have 13 lbs. to go and I am going to work for as long as it takes to get these final pounds off.
  • marybsalmon
    marybsalmon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I dropped several pounds the first month but been at the same weight now for 2 months. My friends and family say I look better than ever and my clothes fit better so I have to remind myself that being fit doesn't always mean a certain weight. It also includes muscle tone and overall fitness. It's definitely a journey we take day by day
  • dannylives
    Options
    You're welcome!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Here, here!!!!

Sometimes I lose my patience and wish I could be at the point where I have lost 40lbs but I'm barely at the 19lbs loss mark. Slowly but surely :)
  • dannylives
    Options
    Good job on 19 pounds. :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 8 months to lose 57 lbs. I am committed to keeping it off and to getting healthier. I still have 13 lbs. to go and I am going to work for as long as it takes to get these final pounds off.
    Don't forget, "and keep them off!" In my opinion, "as long as it takes" is for the rest of my life. We can't stop once we're reached our "goal" weight. That way leads to gaining the weight right back because we've gone back to our old habits!
    Thanks for the encouragement. I dropped several pounds the first month but been at the same weight now for 2 months. My friends and family say I look better than ever and my clothes fit better so I have to remind myself that being fit doesn't always mean a certain weight. It also includes muscle tone and overall fitness. It's definitely a journey we take day by day
    As long as the inches are going down, keep on doing what you're doing. If you stop seeing any progress, it's time to change things up. Eat more, eat less, change your exercise routine, cut out some carbs, etc. whatever you think it takes, but continuing to do the same thing, and expecting different results, was Einstein's definition of insanity. :)
  • spade74
    Options
    Thanks for the great reminder!!!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've been working for 14 months!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 8 months to lose 28 pounds. I have 10-15 pounds to go, and it might take me another 3-4 months. That's ok. I WILL get to my goal eventually!!
  • leilani♥
    Options
    great post :]

slow & steady wins the race!
  • kfitz10103
    Options
    Don't forget, "and keep them off!" In my opinion, "as long as it takes" is for the rest of my life. We can't stop once we're reached our "goal" weight. That way leads to gaining the weight right back because we've gone back to our old habits!
    As long as the inches are going down, keep on doing what you're doing. If you stop seeing any progress, it's time to change things up. Eat more, eat less, change your exercise routine, cut out some carbs, etc. whatever you think it takes, but continuing to do the same thing, and expecting different results, was Einstein's definition of insanity. :)

Hence "and keeping it off"