Goal weight or size?

Options
Hey ladies!! Are you going by weight or a goal size? I've thought about doing the pictures in my goal pants until I fit, but my confidence lowballs me when I actually start to do it. For now, I'm sticking to a misses (no butt or thighs 🤷🏼‍♀️) 12 or 10, and was thinking it would be between 190 or 175 for me.

Replies

• imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I found I was happy being able to squeeze into a size 14 pair of jeans before I had reached my goal weight. Now I'd like to for back into those jeans, and then continue to lose and maybe even squeeze into a size 12!! 😲
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Definitely weight, or measurements. Clothing sizes are a joke and not very accurate as a way of tracking your goals, unless you own a specific piece of non-stretchy clothing that you want to fit into. Clothing manufacturers change their sizing all the time, and different manufacturers use different measurements for the same size.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    A little bit of both. I want to be in the middle of “ideal weight” for my height but I will be happy at a size 6. My daughter is getting married this fall so slimming down before I buy a dress would be nice
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I go for a weight range, only because sizes are arbitrary. I'm currently 147 (feel good here until I get around 153) and 5'11 and have 6's and 8's that fit. When I started in September in 2019, my goal was to get into one specific pair of size 6 jeans with no stretch though and they fit. But I knew at what weight I wore them last time...
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If your concern is how you look and feel in clothes maybe you should measure yourself when tracking progress and setting goals, rather than using a clothing size to measure things for you. Then check out the size charts of your favorite clothing brands to see what measurements they associate with the clothing size you are targeting. MFP has a place for tracking measurements that starts with a few basics like neck and waist, but you can add other things to that list. For women I'd recommend tracking bust, underbust (ribcage - it'll be a good measument to know if you need to determine a new bra size as you loose weight), waist, and full hip (around the hips/butt at the widest point). Biceps and thighs are good to track as well.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Neither. I'm going with how I look and feel. If I'm happy with both then I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Scales weight is only reflective of that moment and is influenced many factors, so to me it is unreliable. Clothing sizes are arbitrary because I can wear a size 4 or a size 10 all on the same day, so it means nothing.
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!! Are you going by weight or a goal size? I've thought about doing the pictures in my goal pants until I fit, but my confidence lowballs me when I actually start to do it. For now, I'm sticking to a misses (no butt or thighs 🤷🏼‍♀️) 12 or 10, and was thinking it would be between 190 or 175 for me.

We have similar goals! The smallest size I've ever been was a misses 10 in most everything, with one pair of 8s. I have since then gone up to a snug 16. Thankfully, my pants are starting to fit better again. I'd love to drop dress sizes again soon!

When I had lost 50 lbs a few years ago, I was sitting around 175. Most of my friends and family thought I looked 145-150 and they were scared I was "withering away". I was told to stop losing weight, lol. Ugh.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Funny you should mention it- came across this quote on FB today:

"Your best weight is whatever weight you reach when you're living a life you actually enjoy." - Emily Field (whoever that is)

Our goal should be a weight that is healthy, comfortable, and sustainable for our lifestyle (not the lifestyle we wish we had, the real one ;) ), and we likely won't know that until we get there. Some set overly optimistic goals for themselves not realizing the kind of work & dedication it would take to maintain it. Which isn't to say we shouldn't set new health & fitness goals for ourselves, but making sure the "default" setting is sustainable first. :)
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    My goal was always 145. I started at 210 and am now 160. I've come to realize that in the end the number doesn't matter. Im fitter now then I've ever been. I can run , lift, swim, anything. I now go by body fat percentage as ideal weight can vary sooo greatly. I'm aiming for 18-20%
  • Lainna21
    Lainna21 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Both! I have size 6 dresses still in my closet from 5 years ago that I will hopefully fit back into. However, I do have a goal weight in mind. Add me, and we can encourage each other!
  • DyneSalcar
    DyneSalcar Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a goal weight but once I eventually get close I think it will be important to listen to my body and make adjustments to figure out what's actually a healthy size for me
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I have a goal weight, but not so much a goal size, owing to the fact that my family build is CURVY and I have always had to dress to my top and fix the lower seams to fit. I know how I want to look in clothing, and when I can wear the fitted dresses I fancy, I'll be good.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Neither for me. I had a general weight range I wanted to be, and a maximum size I wanted to wear, but I chose to maintain when I reached a point where I lost interest in losing more (was happy where I am), and didn't feel it was worth the extra effort.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    @HufflepuffGrl9 Impressive loss. I would not say that your hips are very wide; in fact, I would not say that they are wide! You look perfectly proportional and have a lovely figure.