Petite 45 year old want to gain weight

Dairy free, no red meat is making my weight gain so hard. What about weight gain protein shakes? Yay or nay? Was 125 pounds prior to a surgery in September and i am now 112. I eat 1800 calories a day and its hard to be constantly eating and not seeing any improvements over two weeks. I think my anxiety is not helping. Advice?

Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited January 2020
    I also recently had a surgery
    Can you eat eggs? how many cals are you eating? protien? how many carbs. are you gaining weight now? If not , then you need to eat more. nuts & eggs are low volume & high cals if you have trouble eating alot
    are you weight training?
  • annikcarriere
    annikcarriere Posts: 8 Member
    No weight training. Using the fitness app goal for 1 pound a week and eating carbs like no tomorrow . Still the number isn’t going up on the scale
  • Dailly13
    Dailly13 Posts: 190 Member
    What height are you are you under weight
  • annikcarriere
    edited January 2020
    I am 5 feet 1 inches and weigh 112 pounds. I used to be 125
  • Dailly13
    That's a healthy weight for your height. If your feeling unwell it may be an adjustment to weight because of your surgery. If your in UK check out NHS BMI calculator.
  • annikcarriere
    edited January 2020
    I just don’t feel well. I feel tired and bony. I would like to gain about 5 pounds. My doc said healthy for me would be 116
  • Dailly13
    Sorry you feel unwell, take your doctor's advice. Perhaps ask to see a dietician if your feeling anxious about your weight. Good luck
  • ecjim
    edited January 2020
    No weight training. Using the fitness app goal for 1 pound a week and eating carbs like no tomorrow . Still the number isn’t going up on the scale

what are you getting for protien ? fats? - gradually/ slowlly increase calories untill the scale moves. you can add some olive oil to your veggies - peanut butter & crackers - it doesn't take much peanut butter to add 2-300 cals. snack on a hanfull of nuts. Salmon or other fatty fish, chicken or turkey thighs with the skin (I love these)
    Last year I had an abdominal issue & surgery where I wasn't eating & lost 25+ lbs, a lot of that was muscle, it's coming back. I had another surgery this November, not so bad.
  • annikcarriere
    Thanks! Best of luck for your recovery
  • ecjim
    You too
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited January 2020
    I am 5 feet 1 inches and weigh 112 pounds. I used to be 125
    I just don’t feel well. I feel tired and bony. I would like to gain about 5 pounds. My doc said healthy for me would be 116

I’m the same height and as of yesterday 125lbs (down from 147lbs). My goal is 112 - 115lbs.

I don’t think your problem is necessarily that you are underweight, because you’re technically not, but your diet (the foods you’re eating rather than how much/little) is clearly not sustaining you in a healthy way.

Concentrate on lean proteins (chicken, fish, eggs etc) and vegetable proteins (beans, lentils etc). Fruit, lots of vegetables (dark green leafy especially), and, if you’re dairy free due to intolerance, lactose free dairy products. In your case I’d suggest you keep an eye on your macros - start by trying to ensure your iron and vitamin intake is on track.

You sound really run down so I’d concentrate on quality and let quantity fall where it will until you start to feel better.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,325 Member
    If you want extra calories but are struggling to actually eat more, then “dirty” protein shakes can help. Caveat - they are still filling though, so you need to make sure they don’t just replace other filling food. Try mixing some protein powder (you can get lactose free ones) with dairy free milk, add in some higher calorie food like peanut butter, chocolate chips, and use fruits like banana. Blitz together and you can have c300-500 cals in one shake if you add the right ingredients. Have a play with flavours and see what you like.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I agree with others that making sure you are eating a variety of whole foods should hopefully help you feel better. To gain weight on top of that, don't worry so much about "healthy". It's pretty easy to add extra calories just by using more oils, butter, natural fats, nuts and nut butters. Feel free to add in chocolate too. All those yummy dips and sauces that most people avoid, you can have at your pleasure.

If you are feeling bony and are cleared for exercise, weight lifting is great for adding a nice layer of muscle.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Look for ways to increase your fat in your diet. Keto recipes may be a good place to start. Nuts , nut flours, coconut oil, coconut milk, avocado, chocolate are all good places to look for calorie dense food that is dairy free.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    I'm in the UK too. You could ask to be referred to a qualified dietician, it's free on the NHS? I do understand - 112 lbs may be OK on the bmi scale but it's about how you feel.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
  • annikcarriere
    Because i have endometriosis and dairy, gluten and red meat cause me to have pain and inflammation
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Because i have endometriosis and dairy, gluten and red meat cause me to have pain and inflammation

That is a good reason.

Since you have inflammatory issues, i would focus on more whole foods to not increase the chances of greater inflammation. You could use fatty cuts of chicken, pork, eggs, fatty fish, use olive or avocado oil, nuts, nut butters, avocado, and higher GI fruits.

Increasing meals frequency and drinking some calories can be beneficial (i.e., protein shake).