Shakeology

I did shakeology through beach body but it is just too expensive. 180$ a month. Is there anything out there that is like it but more doable price wise? I like doing something quick in the morning.

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    If you really love having a shake in the morning, there are many protein shakes/smoothies out there. If you don't love shakes, however, you don't have to drink them--they don't do anything special for weight/health/fitness. There are other quick breakfast options depending on your definition of "quick," such as hard boiling eggs the night before or making overnight oatmeal. We can make more specific recommendations if you have flavor preferences, calorie/macro targets, price range, etc.
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    edited January 2020
    You don't need anything like shakeology...but if you really want a nutrient fortified shake, something like vega one is probably the closest thing to shakeology (vega one has a little more protein, but no msm), and much cheaper.
  • NicbPNW
    NicbPNW Posts: 47 Member
    Shakeology is amazing for the superfoods and nutrients it contains. I haven't found anything else that tastes as good or fills me up as much and I've tried a lot! Sorry, no other suggestions on shakes for you. I've been an avid Shakeo drinker for a couple years.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    edited January 2020
    NicbPNW wrote: »
    Shakeology is amazing for the superfoods and nutrients it contains. I haven't found anything else that tastes as good or fills me up as much and I've tried a lot! Sorry, no other suggestions on shakes for you. I've been an avid Shakeo drinker for a couple years.

Well I guess amazing in terms of filling you up or taste is subjective and individual.

What about it is so amazing in terms of nutrients though when compared to other cheaper ready made or home-made DIY shakes??
    (I dont believe in super foods so am not asking about that)

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member

Well I guess amazing in terms of filling you up or taste is subjective and individual.

What about it is so amazing in terms of nutrients though when compared to other cheaper ready made or home-made DIY shakes??

I'd be interested also. I'm not a believer in superfoods, but I would like to know what superfoods are in Shakeology.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

I'd be interested also. I'm not a believer in superfoods, but I would like to know what superfoods are in Shakeology.

Here's the nutrition label for the "greenberry" Shakeology shake. I picked that flavor because the name sounded most superfoody. https://img1.beachbodyimages.com/teambeachbody/raw/upload/Teambeachbody/shared_assets/Shop/Shakeology/Shakeology Greenberry/Benefits/Ingredients/shk-ing-greenberry-en-us-112216.pdf

It looks like a shake with a mediocre protein per calorie ratio, fewer vitamins/minerals than one could get from a cheap multivitamin, and a lot of other random stuff that isn't proven to do anything. Oh, and it costs $129.95 for a 30 serving bag.

Yes, really. $129.95 per 1 kg bag. https://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/us/d/greenberry-whey-shakeology-SHKGreenberry#Ingredients
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Super what now?

Don't argue facts with a salesperson....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2020
    apullum wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Here's the nutrition label for the "greenberry" Shakeology shake. I picked that flavor because the name sounded most superfoody. https://img1.beachbodyimages.com/teambeachbody/raw/upload/Teambeachbody/shared_assets/Shop/Shakeology/Shakeology Greenberry/Benefits/Ingredients/shk-ing-greenberry-en-us-112216.pdf

It looks like a shake with a mediocre protein per calorie ratio, fewer vitamins/minerals than one could get from a cheap multivitamin, and a lot of other random stuff that isn't proven to do anything. Oh, and it costs $129.95 for a 30 serving bag.

Yes, really. $129.95 per 1 kg bag. https://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/us/d/greenberry-whey-shakeology-SHKGreenberry#Ingredients

Add in the fact, if any of those nutrients was a super food, the dosage in a 120 calorie shake wouldnt hit those levels.

OP, are you looking for a protein shake or a meal replacement? I would tend to agree on making a smoothie, but also understand if you need the convenience.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    My wife has been drinking shakeology for almost a year and quite enjoys it, and no she doesn't sell it. Neither of us are under any illusions that it has magical super powers like the adverts claim, and yes, you could certainly make shakes yourself for cheaper, but overall it works very well for her goals.

She keeps a bag of it in our office and has it for breakfast with almond milk and sometimes a banana or pumpkin puree. It's quick, easy to make without much mess, and most importantly, she really enjoys the taste.

It's definitely helped her reach her weight loss goals, as prior to having it, she would either skip a breakfast and then binge at lunch, or order something like McDonald's in the morning which would be more calories and more money.

I think both the hate and the buzz are overexaggerated. It is not even close to the only way to do a shake like the ads want you to believe, but it is also a good quality product that is tasty and simple. For some people, that can make the price worth it. It is for us.

But if it's too expensive, there are lots of other ways to make your own that will likely be similar.