Epilepsy and diets

Bit of an odd one, does anyone suffer epilepsy?
Mines fairly well managed but I ALWAYS end up having a seizure within a couple of days of me being *back on the diet*

Anyone else? I can't imagine it's a calorie thing and I haven't been back to the gym yet so I know it's not over exercise.
Just curious if anyone else out there has any input 😬

Replies

• clairesturge5640
    clairesturge5640 Posts: 6 Member
    I’m also epileptic and after trying multiple diets my seizures have always increased. I am starting this year using MFP but have done it to lose 1/2 pound a week so is not a major jolt to system (discussed with consultant). It will take longer to shift weight but hopefully with less impact on seizures.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    I can't imagine it's a calorie thing

How many calories did you have? Having too few could lower blood sugar, which can trigger seizures.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »

How many calories did you have? Having too few could lower blood sugar, which can trigger seizures.

Also dehydration can affect electrical impulses in the body. Did you lower your fluid intake?

If the cause is not obvious to you, I would definitely consult with your medical team.
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Have you talked to your doctor about using a ketogenic diet to help manage your symptoms? There is pretty sufficient evidence between the two.

Neurologist Reccomended keto as it has lots of scientific proof to back it up but made it worse for me :(
  • imabeevampire
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Read that this morning after doing research. I think it might be linked. Usually just a jolt to the system from binging lots of chocolate to suddenly cutting it all out
  • Womanvsweight
    Womanvsweight Posts: 258 Member
    Have you talked to your doctor about using a ketogenic diet to help manage your symptoms? There is pretty sufficient evidence between the two.

I was going to suggest this .. but you already tried it.
    As you know everyone is different and I’ve never read about any other diet associated with seizure control or tiggers, you should always see your epilepsy team before trying something new you have come across . Good luck 😉
  • imabeevampire
    It's usually a 6 month waiting list to be seen by my neurologist, so just going off doctors reccomendation. Fingers crossed it was just a blip and slightly dehydrated 🤞
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    I'm on Keppra and the epileptic seizures are at bay.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator

Off topic but That is how I came about using keto to control migraine. They prescribed me an anti seizure drug and said there was good correlation between migraine and seizures. I am now off that drug and just ketoing and on a low dose preventative for those times I eat outside of keto.

That is awesome. My friends teenager is dealing with migraines and anxiety. I have providing him some evidence to initiate discussion with her medical team.
  • imabeevampire
    I'm on Keppra and the epileptic seizures are at bay.

Oh my god keppra was the most horrific drug for me! So glad it works for you.
  • Cateyj
    Cateyj Posts: 20 Member
    I am another Keppra taker, my neurologist has suggested we consider titrating my dose down with a view to being off meds completely eventually as I have been seizure free for 8 years. I am willing to do this under medical supervision as I agree, keppra is not the nicest drug (keppra rage is real, and the runny nose!) I have read a few studies linking keto to seizure control and I will be mentioning it at my next appointment. Good luck everyone though epilepsy is a scary thing x
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Neurologist Reccomended keto as it has lots of scientific proof to back it up but made it worse for me :(

In other posts it sounded like you drastically cut your calories and were dehydrated. If this is also when you did keto, maybe try again while getting plenty of salt, fluid, and not creating such a big calorie deficit. You could also try easing into keto rather than hopping right into it.

Note: I think this might be the only time I've ever recommended keto, so I am not coming from a "ketovangelist" perspective ;)

I can vouche for that!
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    edited January 2020
    I'm on lamotrigine after Keppra didn't work. It has the side effect of constipation so I have to make sure I have loads of fibre and drink litres of water as I'm always thirsty.

I'm only partially controlled and have to really watch my blood sugar levels as I get weak, can seize and the partials get really bad. I try to eat low GI wholegrains, avoid sugar, eat lots of pulses and if I have a pudding I make sure the main meal is low GI and fibre packed.

Keto had no effect on me -maybe cos I'm too old lol (47 btw)

Oh yeah, one more thing, when I'm post seizure or just really tired I have diet replacement drinks for the nutrients and ease of getting something decent in my belly without any effort.

Good luck x
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    I've heard that. I am allergic to lamotrigine -- it causes me to break out in hives, so onto Keppra. 500 mg in AM, 750 mg in the PM, and I hadn't any seizures for 2.5 years. I had no major setbacks in the keto arena (I'm in my mid-forties).