12 years old and 272 pounds!!!

Options
quichebradford
quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
Yes, you read that correctly! I just had a co-worker of mine tell me about her friend who's 12 year old daughter is 272 pounds! I could not pick my jaw up from the floor! :noway:

Some are pointing the finger at the mom, some the child. What do you think?

Replies

• mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I say its both of them..but mostly the mom... that is so sad!!
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Sad, very very Sad :(
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Definatly the mom. I am in control of what my 11 y/o son eat.
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I would never look to blame anyone else about weight gain but at 12 years old i would say the mum sadly - unless the child has some sort of condition because 272 is just.....like you said jaw dropping!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    At that age, she does have some culpability, but I believe that the majority of the problem rests on the shoulders of her parents. Obviously they have not taught her the value of exercise and healthy eating. No child of twelve can get to that weight without being taught bad eating habits. This saddens me.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    That's sad but there might be much more as to why this child got that way. Can't blame anyone until you have all the information.
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    both will be at fault, but the mom mostly as the child wont have the right mentality to see a problem
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    the mom! because
    1. parents are supposed to teach their kids how to do well in life and take care of themselves and that means teaching them to have healthy food and exercise habits.
    and 2. because being THAT obese is dangerous, and parents are supposed to protect their children from danger.
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    That is all the mom. The kid didn't gain that overnight, it's been building for years I'm sure. That's just sad!

Now that's guessing that the kid has no health problems that are making them that way.
  • coderchris
    coderchris Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I feel like that as parents it is our job to lead and guide our children in the way that they should go. Sometimes parents do not know how to eat healthy themselves, I grew up in that environment. I think it is really sad, I can only imagine what that child goes through in school with how mean children are these days.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I agree that it is the mom. Nothing comes into my house that I don't buy so I am responsible for what my two kids eat. They also don't go get snacks out of the kitchen without asking me first.
  • ZumbaQueenKelly
    Options
    Considering the child is 12, I would definitely say the mom. That is so sad :(
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking it could be a bunch of things. The child could have an underlying health problem. The family may not be eating healthy & getting no exercise. Pointing the finger doesn't solve the problem. I wonder what her pediatrician is saying.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    WTF.....

That is horrible! =( Poor kid. There should be some kind of intervention for children like this.
  • Gorger
    Gorger Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    There was something recently on the news that said it was child abuse and they can take the kid away from the parents based on the obesity thing. The mother has to be totally uneducated. WHO would let their child suffer like that. It's not the kids fault. He doesn't buy the groceries. Chips, pop, cheezies and big macs. Go figure?
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Who gives a *kitten* who's fault it is? It's grotesque and, frankly, child abuse to let it continue. Tell me they are doing something about it...
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Thats parenting. IMO
  • aliciadpo
    aliciadpo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say mom. Children have to learn self control and eating habits from somewhere!! My brother was an overweight child and both he and my mom will admit that if he wanted something (cheeseburger, fast food, etc.) she bought it for him and let him have it. Then, when he would get teased for being overweight, he would turn to food for comfort and my mom did not deny him.

My mom fed us healthy foods and I was always very thin so it's not that she's a bad mom....she's not. She is an amazing mom!!!! But, she did let him have whatever foods he wanted.

He is now very thin and runs marathons. Once he got to high school age, he took it upon himself to stop eating as much, get off the couch and get moving.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My mother had two obese children (my sisters) and did everything she could, including counseling, to help them. They fought her tooth and toenail. They are both dead now and my Mom is 81. Sometimes blame is inappropriate.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should judge until you know the facts . It is wrong to judge with knowledge