I’m a grandma...

I never imagined how much I could love a grandchild and now I have two. I want to be healthy for them. The truth of the matter is until I choose to lose weight for me I probably won’t do it. My grandchildren don’t care about my weight. They don’t understand heart attacks and strokes due to obesity. I do, yet food addiction seems to win out time and again. I wish I could get into the head of someone who as successfully lost weight and kept it off. Well my hope is that I will be that person. Four days so far. I’ve stuck to 1500 calories a day. I definitely understand the term: One day at a time.”

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Great incentive!

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Try this- you’re a grandmother. Not you’re doing really. But what kind of grandmother do you want to be? That is up to you.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I’m 67 and had some medical issues so I know how important it is to lose weight. It’s a long slow process for me but I keep on Truckin! Add me if you would like support.
  • busysand
    busysand Posts: 1 Member
    If you are living alone, purge the cupboards and fridge of all but the basics. It makes dealing with temptation a lot easier. You will eat a lot healthier when you give into a craving. Now my naughty time is an extra grilled veggie burrito or more grapes.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,255 Member
    I'm a nana too it's such fun enjoy loseceeight get healthy and enjoy all the fun with them as they grow!
  • hereslibby
    hereslibby Posts: 93 Member
    You are correct about the grandkids not seeing you as being overweight. I am a grandmother too. As I have been on this weight loss journey for several years and none of my grandkids have really seemed to notice the 40lb weight loss. I do think they are happy that I have more energy and stamina. One of my main reasons to loose the weight is so I can be around to see them grow up. Don’t want them to remember me being sickly or not able to play with them due to my poor health. I want to loose 20 more pounds, not just for them but for me.
    What has worked for me is to change things in my diet one at a time. Yes, it’s slow, but it seems to work. I have been able to keep the weight off.
    Feel free to add me as a friend.
    Good luck on your journey!
  • shetland
    shetland Posts: 55 Member
    I'm finding sometimes it is even one meal at a time, or one hour at a time on those really tough days.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    A couple things come to mind.

My lovely and beloved grandmother was always really fat. Like maybe 240 at 5'5". I loved her but (and I'm sorry about this ahead of time, but it's true...) but I was embarrassed by her. None of my other relatives were large like her. She was a great cook but everything was made with a lot of fat and centered around beef and potatoes. It was a different time. So kids do care about that.

Second, to lose my own weight - I also got up to 220...I had to change everything. The food I bought, the food I ate, the thoughts I had about food.

You say you wish you could get into the head of a long-time maintainer. Here goes:

Are you logging your food every day? Taking a walk? It can be done. One day at a time. Not an ounce of turnback in it.