Soo confused, recommended daily intake and BMR, TDEE etc

Options
Hello and thanks for reading. For some members this will feel like groundhog day reading the same thing over and over from new members. Be patient please, this is my first.
So, by themselves I understand all the calculations and what the answers mean. But linking them together gets confusing. I end up reading for 3 hours and no nearer to figuring this thing out.
Here in Britain we are advised by our health service that to maintain weight for men we should consume a balanced diet of 2500 calories. But how come my BMR is a thousand less than that? Wouldn't that mean I'm eating 1000 calories less than the recommended amount? Or if my BMR is 1500 to maintain, to lose weight I need to consume 500 less calories a day to lose a lb a week. So a diet of 1000 calories a day (which is 1500 less than what we are told to eat.) See how quickly I get muddled! Please help clear this mud up. Thank you.
For info I'm semi retired 50 year old male 5'11" and 150lbs. At the moment I'm eating about 900 calories a day and burn most of that off with a 7 mile run (every night). I guess including 2-3 hours walking my Siberian husky I may even dip into the magical negative. Thanks again.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Government recommendations for men and women are an average. Your calorie needs depend on your height, weight, and activity level mostly, with other factors playing minor roles. A short inactive man will need less fuel than a tall active man.

Second, BMR is really a useless number. It's the number of calories your body uses with little to no movement, like in a coma. Unless you're planning to stay in bed for the foreseeable future, your BMR doesn't mean much.

To maintain your current weight, you need to eat your TDEE. Any calculator is just giving you an estimate, the only way to get a more personalized figure is well documented trial an error. Pick a reasonable estimate. Log your food, your exercise, and your weight accurately and consistently for at least 6-8 weeks and then tweak your numbers based on what you're weight does

No offense, but I highly doubt you are really eating 900 cals. You would be starving and dropping weight alarmingly fast. The healthy minimum for a man is 1500 lbs. There are common logging errors many of us made when we first started logging - picking innacurate entries in the database, incorrectly eyeballing portions, over estimating exercise calorie burns.

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each sub-forum, especially the ones with tips on accurate logging and how to best use MFP. There's a lot to learn! Good luck:drinker:
  • ianwhite5555
    ianwhite5555 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to answer. It helped a lot(calorie intake, bowl of cereal morning and night and 300g steamed veg mixed with a can of soup divided into two meals). Dropped from 200lbs to 140lbs in 4 months. Bounced a little to 150lbs so back on diet and increased cardio from a single 4 mile run a day to 2 x 3 mile run. No weights (a tad old plus time etc.)
    The answer was a great help.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    This is well worth reading and will explain a lot of the acronyms that get thrown around.....

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • Hooliekom
    Hooliekom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to answer. It helped a lot(calorie intake, bowl of cereal morning and night and 300g steamed veg mixed with a can of soup divided into two meals). Dropped from 200lbs to 140lbs in 4 months. Bounced a little to 150lbs so back on diet and increased cardio from a single 4 mile run a day to 2 x 3 mile run. No weights (a tad old plus time etc.)

There isn't an age limit on being able to lift weights.. ;) If you wanted to you could drop one of the 3 mile runs and add in a weights session :)

• ianwhite5555
    ianwhite5555 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone taking their time to reply.
    And no of course my husky would never be on a diet but he's not overweight and will always out run me :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

This isn't really healthy at all. Your body requires fuel (calories), protein, and fat. The long term affects of what you are doing is quite dangerous. Eat more, get at least minimum amounts of protein and fat, and start focusing on some kind of resistance/strength training even if it means cutting back on cardio to fit it in. You probably lost a lot of muscle by losing weight so dangerously fast and eating such a limited, protein poor diet. Lack of muscle is one of the key dangers as you get older, your body loves muscle. And it is never too late to incorporate. Please take care of yourself, and good luck!

^^^ Please take this on board: She's so right.

I'm a 64-year-old woman. I can lift weights, so I'll bet you can, too. Quite a few people here have started at 50+. There are research studies in which people started in their 80s, and gained useful amounts of strength/muscle.

It doesn't need to be time consuming; half an hour 3 times a week, well spent, should be very adequate. Even twice a week is better than zero. Start with low weights (very manageable, just a little challenging), get proper instruction about form, and progress gradually. You'll do fine.

You're at risk for losing - having already lost - muscle by dramatically undereating for your body size, and getting way too little protein.

Your body can only metabolize a certain amount of fat daily, per pound of fat still on your body. When you ask it to lose weight faster than that, it will burn more than minimum lean tissue to make up the difference. You don't want that.

I'm saying this out of sincere concern, truly.

Best wishes!