Fasting

Options
Hi what’s everyone thoughts on fasting?
If you support it what do you recommend? If you dislike the idea can you please say why?!
Thank you

Replies

• windra06
    windra06 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I support Fasting, not just for the health benefits but to help me keep to my calorie goal. I fast once a week which allows me to eat all my calories in one meal. I feel it lets me treat myself without busting the bank. It's like a weekly reset and that little extra boost to my weight loss.

I did really struggle with fasting at first but over time it became much easier and I find I have energy now if I skip a meal or eat low calorie.
  • Mov3mor3
    Mov3mor3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Fasting for extended periods bothered my stomach after about day 5, gave me so much energy I couldn't sleep well, and couldn't trust a fart. I'm eating one meal a day on keto, and it is working well for me.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    It doesn’t work for me (beyond the standard 22:00-06:30 nighttime fasting...).
    I occasionally skip breakfast in favour of a bigger (planned) meal at another point of the day, but as a rule if I try fasting for the sake of it I wind up cranky, food obsessed and with a tendency to just grab “whatever” and scoff it up. Which is sort of self defeating.
  • ladyAyee
    ladyAyee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ladies thank you so much
  • Zhatan
    Zhatan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When dieting I fast by not eating breakfast and not eating after 8pm. This makes my eating window 12:00-20:00 so it's 16 hours of fasting and 8 hours of eating a day.
    I feel it helps me keep within my daily goals.
  • ladyAyee
    Options
    I am liking the idea of 16 hours of fasting and 8 hours of food. Thank you!!
    Ladies I appreciate you thank you!!!

• ladyAyee
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Ladies it’s me again 😂😂 have any of you herd of hair loss do to fasting?? Missing out on the essentials our bodies need I get it, but really hair loss??
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I fast between 12 and 14 hours, overnight ;)

I have dinner between 7 and 7:30 PM and breakfast the following day around 8 AM, later on the weekend. I don't snack before going to bed. I don't do any additional fasting unless it is for medical reasons (surgery, procedure, lab work, etc.), and I don't fast for religious reasons either.

For what I read in the forums, people that fast during the day are those that are OK with skipping breakfast, and/or those that like to have heavier meals so they stay satisfied longer, and keep caloric goals in check.

Fasting doesn't work for me, and I can keep my calorie goals without fasting. I need to have a light breakfast in the morning, and since I don't eat heavy meals, I also need to have lunch and dinner at a regular time, and a light snack in between.

Support or recommendations about fasting are very personal. If it works for you, go for it.

• Mov3mor3
    Mov3mor3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ladyAyee wrote: »
    Ladies it’s me again 😂😂 have any of you herd of hair loss do to fasting?? Missing out on the essentials our bodies need I get it, but really hair loss??

I've heard of hair loss from malnutrition. Usually from extremely low-calorie diets. I'm not a lady though. :D
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    After41 wrote: »

I've heard of hair loss from malnutrition. Usually from extremely low-calorie diets. I'm not a lady though. :D

This^

Eat a decent number of calories (adequate nutrition) and stave off hair loss.....fasting or not. I agree with lemurcat2 - what do you consider fasting?
  • Mike90028
    Mike90028 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi what’s everyone thoughts on fasting?
    If you support it what do you recommend? If you dislike the idea can you please say why?!
    Thank you

Fasting has been great for me. Intermittent fasting 2 to 3 times a week. I work out fasted on Sundays.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Fasting is the fast track for eating it all back over and over and over again.

Genuine fasting is useless for the long term. If you're eating every day you're not fasting but practicing time restricted eating while eating your food within an eating window. Intermittent means irregular intervals so if you're doing the same things at the same times on the daily there's nothing intermittent about it. It is time restricted eating.

We can learn to moderate ourselves with foods and until we are willing to learn that we can there will be constant cycles of dieting and eating it all back and starting over and over again.

Using fasting as a means of overcompensation for months or years or decades of poor eating decisions will only dig you into a much deeper hole with food. Don't start none. Won't be none. Don't start another cycle of overrestriction that only leads to more rebound weight gain with friends. Fasting is useless in the big picture. Useless.

Follow the constructs of MFP and track your data points. If you want to eat all of your calories within a window of time it won't make your hair fall out or your teeth to start to loosen and your skin to start hanging like a shar-pei dog. Trying to gut out long term fasting every single week for months until you reach your dream weight has consequences. There's only choices and consequences and choosing fasting over moderating yourself with food is slapping on another temporary bandaid resulting in temporary weight loss.

Don't start none. Won't be none. Edge your way down slowly. You'll have a much better chance of actually getting there and staying there for the rest of your life. Constant cycles of losing and gaining will only decrease your chances of ever reaching your dream weight.

• KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I occasionally skip breakfast in favour of a bigger (planned) meal at another point of the day, but as a rule if I try fasting for the sake of it I wind up cranky, food obsessed and with a tendency to just grab “whatever” and scoff it up. Which is sort of self defeating.

How in earth is this controversial enough to earn a “disagree”?
    Is my experience of living in my body invalid? Really...!? 😖
  • bluediamond5
    bluediamond5 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hair loss happens when you get older, it's hereditary, a medical problem - or truly starving - I have fasted off and on for a day or 2 at a time and never lost any hair - no negative side effects. Hope this helps!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @bluediamond5

Hair loss happens when you conduct brutally strict food hacks off and on for months or years on end. Hair loss happens when food hacks lead to disordered eating. Hair loss happens when the stress of fasting starts breaking your body down. We're not talking about a day or two. Many want to do this as a means of losing weight. A lorra lorra weight and in the long run it doesn't change anything for them. It doesn't fix a poor relationship with food and it doesn't help tall or short or medium builds find permanent weight stability.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

How in earth is this controversial enough to earn a “disagree”?
    Is my experience of living in my body invalid? Really...!? 😖

I got a disagree for my post stating I had vegetables rotting in my compost bin :lol:

I try to see the humor in the disagrees.