Impact free cardio

Options
So I'm severely overweight and if I walk for any length of time my feet are throbbing and causes me a lot of pain.

Physio said it's all down to my weight which makes sense. I can walk up to 3km without pain with my dogs but I want to up my cardio.
I know the rower and bike are low impact. The cross trainer also causes me pain so I can't do that. Is there any other cardio you guys could recommended? I'm hoping eventually I can start walking further and then start running when I lose weight.
I know weight loss is mainly diet but I want to get my fitness levels up. Thanks guys.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    sarahp86 wrote: »
    I know the rower and bike are low impact.

Why not do those? And do several short walks each day.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great low impact exercise.
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    @Cherimoose I do these but get bored easily. I love walking the dogs out in the fresh air but the pain is horre doud after it.

@MikePTY I swim too but it can be time consuming.

Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate it
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Try the Leslie Sansome videos. They are low impact aerobics - mostly walking, but also knee lifts, kicks, side steps, etc. and some light weights. She has one mile, two mile, four mile, etc. videos
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Search "Caroline Jordan". She has a bunch of exercise videos on YouTube, many are low to no impact because she had a foot injury.
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Do you like audiobooks? They are definitely what keeps me interested in rowing.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    So I'm severely overweight and if I walk for any length of time my feet are throbbing and causes me a lot of pain.

Physio said it's all down to my weight which makes sense. I can walk up to 3km without pain with my dogs but I want to up my cardio.
    I know the rower and bike are low impact. The cross trainer also causes me pain so I can't do that. Is there any other cardio you guys could recommended? I'm hoping eventually I can start walking further and then start running when I lose weight.
    I know weight loss is mainly diet but I want to get my fitness levels up. Thanks guys.

Swimming. There are also deep water aerobics classes you can take where you wear a flotation belt and are also no impact.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I love walking the dogs out in the fresh air but the pain is horre doud after it.

You said you can walk up to 3km without pain. So walk less than 3km a few times a day. Long exercise sessions aren't required.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Try taking several shorter walks rather than one long walk. It can take awhile to build up to longer distances/sessions in any activity. I don’t know what other physical issues you might have, but sometimes a regular therapeutic massage can help loosen things up.

Also keep in mind that weight loss happens mostly in the kitchen. Have you set up MFP for gradual weight loss and started weighing all your food on a food scale and logging faithfully in MFP?
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Walk more, but spread out over the day. That should help.