Water intake?

Options
This may be well known to some, but I was just told that water intake helps with fat burn. Can anybody confirm this? What is the least amount of water needed a day while trying to loose weight?

Replies

• 100gramsaday
    100gramsaday Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree
    The best bet for fat loss is a calorie deficit, supported by calorie counting. As for intake, I'd recommend around 2-3 liters a day.
  • jrogersj
    jrogersj Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I do realize that the only way to lose weight is for there to be a calorie deficit. I just hit a wall recently and I noticed that my water intake wasn’t that high. So, I increased and now the scale is moving again.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,663 Member
    Options
    jrogersj wrote: »
    Thank you. I do realize that the only way to lose weight is for there to be a calorie deficit. I just hit a wall recently and I noticed that my water intake wasn’t that high. So, I increased and now the scale is moving again.

It's paradoxical, but sometimes if we're under-hydrated, our bodies will retain a little more water weight. If we drink enough fluids**, it will normalize things. That water retention isn't fat, so in one sense it doesn't matter, but it can mask continuing fat loss temporarily on the bodyweight scale. (Those home BIA scales that claim to measure this kind of effect aren't really accurate enough to be a good guide to what's going on.)

So, it's good for health to drink an adequate amount of water; there's no reason to drink an excessive amount (doing so won't accelerate fat loss). Urine color is a decent guide.

** Fluids that count include not just water, but also other beverages, the fluid in juicy fruits and veggies, the liquid component of soups, etc.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Plus...you poop better when you are well hydrated.