Thinking about checking out "Peloton mobile app" as a way to get fit...

How does it work? As a NYC guy, can I workout at their studios in NYC if I have a subscription to the app but don't buy their expense bikes or treadmills?

What's it like to use the app on other folk's stationary bikes and treadmills?

To be clear, I'm not considering buying any of their hardware mostly because I'm not up for spending that much money and I don't trust my own commitment level that I will consistently use it.

Replies

• eric2light
    eric2light Posts: 113 Member
    Please comment!
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    I bought a Life Cycle ic6 bike and downloaded both the Peloton App and the Les Mills on demand App. I teach Les Mills so I am partial. I find that the Peloton coaches (for spin) talk too much aside from coaching for my liking. I am going to cancel Peloton and stick w Les Mills. Les Mills has a lower monthly rate too.
  • cathyloufit
    cathyloufit Posts: 7 Member
    I use Studio Sweat on Demand with a Sunny spin bike. The app has tons of online workouts in spin, yoga, treadmill, Pilates etc.

I bought the spin bike off of Amazon for a lot less than the Peloton bikes. The app/website works on multiple platforms.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    edited January 2020
    I have a Keiser spin bike and take spin classes on the Peloton app. Works great for me. I really like the Powerzone training in particular. I would recommend it. The community is very strong (verging on creepily so...).

One side note, if you have concerns about using it, the actual Peloton seems to do a very good job of motivating people who wouldn't otherwise exercise. The app has a little less functionality. It works great for me. I was already exercising though. I have a high end spin bike but also wanted Zwift and Sufferfest compatibility. I'm really enjoying the Peloton Powerzone spin classes. If you end up doing it...skip the other classes and go straight to Powerzone. It's great for the absolute beginner and also great for a Cat 1,2,3 cyclist. Excellent training and motivating.

• eric2light
    If I’m planning to spend more time running and biking outside and less time in Gyms, are these are apps still practical?
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    The running part of the app has an audio portion for coached outdoor running.

It's also $13....so not a huge commitment. I'm an outdoor cyclist but the guided classes are great for indoor winter training.
  • sandymram
    sandymram Posts: 9 Member
    Hi! I’ve been using the Peleton App since September failthfully. I do the bootcamp classes mostly. I have a cheap treadmill. I use my phone and Apple TV to mirror right into my TV. I think it’s even better than using the screen on the Peleton bike or tread, especially when I’m doing weights. My Apple Watch syncs too so I can see my heart rate on the screen.

You can do a trial first, and then decide. I’ve done cycling classes too, as well as cardio and strength and running. Even meditation. I love lifting weights and keeping my heart rate up the most. I have some favorite instructors. Can’t hurt to try!
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    Does the app support foodpods like stryd, or does your actual pace not really matter in the app? My only experience with these sorts of apps is zwift...
  • eric2light
    fuzzylop_ wrote: »
    Does the app support foodpods like stryd, or does your actual pace not really matter in the app? My only experience with these sorts of apps is zwift...

@fuzzylop_ you like the Stryd Power Meter for Running? Great point. How do they help you?

Thanks!
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    eric2light wrote: »
    @fuzzylop_ you like the Stryd Power Meter for Running? Great point. How do they help you?

Thanks!

It helped me be aware of some issues in my form (particularly vertical oscilation -- i was bounding too much) but it was originally bought for zwift, since it's the most accurate foodpod and doesn't require calibration. I feel like power based zones keep me in the right training intensity, but certainly running power isn't as precise as cycling power, since it's estimating instead of measuring.

Power based zones are maybe a bit better than what I was using before (vdot) especially on the somewhat hilly terrain around me, but I wouldn't claim the difference is huge for a casual runner like me.
  • eric2light
    fuzzylop_ wrote: »
    eric2light wrote: »

Thanks!

It helped me be aware of some issues in my form (particularly vertical oscilation -- i was bounding too much) but it was originally bought for zwift, since it's the most accurate foodpod and doesn't require calibration. I feel like power based zones keep me in the right training intensity, but certainly running power isn't as precise as cycling power, since it's estimating instead of measuring.

Power based zones are maybe a bit better than what I was using before (vdot) especially on the somewhat hilly terrain around me, but I wouldn't claim the difference is huge for a casual runner like me.

It made you aware and reminds you to run level rather than to do more unnecessary vertical motion? And this reduces risk of injury?

What are "Power based zones" @fuzzylop_ you ?

Just started to read this but not following it so far... perhaps I have to read it a few times?

https://blog.stryd.com/2019/12/17/how-do-power-based-zones-fit-into-a-week-of-training/
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Thanks Jhanleybrown, I tried a power zone ride today and loved it. I am not such a fan of the other classes. Thank you.

One side note, if you have concerns about using it, the actual Peloton seems to do a very good job of motivating people who wouldn't otherwise exercise. The app has a little less functionality. It works great for me. I was already exercising though. I have a high end spin bike but also wanted Zwift and Sufferfest compatibility. I'm really enjoying the Peloton Powerzone spin classes. If you end up doing it...skip the other classes and go straight to Powerzone. It's great for the absolute beginner and also great for a Cat 1,2,3 cyclist. Excellent training and motivating.
  • 796fra
    796fra Posts: 45 Member
    I signed up for the trial. No credit card needed. I ended up with several PRs on the outdoor run (audio) and I enjoyed 2 treadmill runs as well. Looking forward to trying some more categories. Not sure if I'll use past the trial. I already have 2 gym memberships. 🙊