Always hungry!!!

Options
yumi1
yumi1 Posts: 26 Member
I am having a hard time sticking to my 1200 calorie goal! This is not my first rodeo. I have done this before, and lost 65lbs doing it. This time though, 4 years later, i am struggling to stick to the 1200 calorie limit. I go over about 100 to 200 over my calorie goal. I eat healthy when I do get hungry, I stopped sodas and fatty foods and just bad food altogether. So when I start getting hungry Im snacking on hummus and wheat crackers instead of going to mcdonalds. But why am I so hungry?!? I work out everyday! Its especially the evening time when i start to feel this way

Replies

• gentledreams
    gentledreams Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you are working out every day then you are spending more calories so it makes sense that you're hungrier! 100-200 kcal over your budget is not an issue as you are spending those calories for your workout, so overall you should still be within your budget. Do you log your workouts on MFP as well?
  • yumi1
    Options
    If you are working out every day then you are spending more calories so it makes sense that you're hungrier! 100-200 kcal over your budget is not an issue as you are spending those calories for your workout, so overall you should still be within your budget. Do you log your workouts on MFP as well?

Hello! Yes I log everything down
  • yumi1
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    How much weight do you have to lose? 1200 is the bottom floor for women, and generally only applies to women who are very short, sedentary, or are close to goal. Be sure you haven't chosen an overly aggressive weight loss goal (2 lbs/week is only for those with more than 75 lbs to lose). Eating healthy doesn't prevent a person from getting hungry. You need to find the particular foods (which for most people would include protein & healthy fats) that keep you satiated. But look at your calorie goal first, and be sure to log & eat back some of the calories burned from exercise.

Hello! My goal is to lose atleast 65lbs! I work at a desk job and since i started this journey again, I work out everyday. I started with half hour sessions and working my way up from there
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    yumi1 wrote: »

Hello! Yes I log everything down

And do you eat back at least half those calories?
  • yumi1
    Options
    I am also 5'2 so i am pretty short lol
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Also, a sudden drop to 1200 after (likely) eating above maintenance for an extended time will make anyone feel hungry. Some prefer to drop their calories gradually.
  • goyologo
    goyologo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Water. More water. Plain water, flavored water, bubbly water, hot water, cold water, fruit- or herbal tea-infused water. Log it to get 8 glasses at least each day and have a big serving when you have hunger pangs. The pangs may be signaling that you are getting dehydrated rather than that you are truly hungry.
  • yumi1
    Options
    Thank you!
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Eat back the calories you're expending! You're probably earning at least an additional 200 calories a day because of your exercise, so eat what MyFitnessPal says to eat. You may well be within your allotted calories that way. You'll still lose weight. And definitely slow down!! I lost much of my weight at 1200 a day which was a BIG MISTAKE. Even though I added weight listing exercise, I lost muscle tone and my hair started falling out. And I was eating lots of vegetables and protein and carbs... it wasn't bad nutrition, it was losing weight too fast. Best of luck to you!!
  • Love2Drive
    Love2Drive Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You know the drill...drink more water:))
  • minnelizzy
    minnelizzy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am also short and doing 1200 per day. It hasn’t been too hard, but I’m definitely a bit hungry. I’ve done this before and it takes me a week or two to adjust. On the plus side it is making me more creative to find filling ways to stay in this calorie range so I’m definitely eating better. And I eat my exercise calories earned and drink a ton of water- really helping!
  • goyologo
    goyologo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I just wanted to point out that I suspect the "disagrees" on the posts that mention pushing water are not because drinking more water is a bad thing, but because it suggests the idea of "pushing through" what may be a legitimate need for more calories. No need to white-knuckle it. Stay hydrated, sure, but also make sure your goals are reasonable.

If I'm wrong, I apologize for the misrepresentation. "Disagree" is always more helpful when accompanied by an explanation. ;)

Yes, thank you Try2,
    I did not mean to imply that water should be used to substitute for legitimately needed calories. I don't at all believe in "white-knuckling" it to meet too-restrictive calorie or exercise goals -- at least, that has never worked well for me. I thought it might be helpful to pass on the hydration reminder because it is something I tend to forget, to my own detriment. Thanks again for clarifying my original point.
  • yumi1
    Options
    I did drink alot more water than usual yesterday and I did not seem as hungry as usual. I also had a fiber filled breakfast andnI believe that helped as well.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    OP, don’t discount everyone’s good ideas about reevaluating your calorie target, which is too low for most people.
  • megan_dance11
    megan_dance11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe your not hungry maybe it's cravings. And I don't mean craving a specific food I just mean craving the need to eat in general. I swear im addicted to eating. I love the act if eating food and it makes me feel good. I try to keep busy to keep my mind off eating cuz I tend to eat when I'm bored. I mostly eat little amounts all day long instead of big meals 3 times a day.