Ideal weight and BMI?

Options
Hey all! Just looking for some advice. :)

Currently feeling super intimidated about picking a goal weight. I'm a 5.8ft woman, stuck around 175lbs, which is just in the bottom of the overweight range. I originally set my goal for 160lbs, but after looking at some BMI calculators it seems like the healthiest range is 130-140ish. I'm a very sturdy, heavy set Dutch girl and honestly don't think I've weighed that little since I was 12 (and I was an absolute twig).

I also carry most weight in my lower body, so aside from a little stomach chub and my oversized thighs I have no idea where that extra 40ish lbs is supposed to come from. Won't that be way too thin?

Mostly wondering if body structure changes things or if these numbers are the same for everyone. Is this weight just maybe not obtainable for me? Or am I underestimating myself?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, 130, and that puts me comfortably within normal BMI standards. Why do you think 130-140 is healthiest/any healthier for you than 160 (a BMI of 24.3)?
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I think a goal on the higher end of the healthy range (or maybe even a bit higher) is plenty healthy for some people. BMI is scale that has been around for a very long time and is an okay general guideline for normal non-athlete people, but it's not going to be the best guide for every single person.

I'm 5'8" with a goal of 155 lbs (started at 184 in September). I've been in the high 130s before and it was not "healthy" for my build. I was eating super low calories and doing crazy amounts of cardio to try to maintain that, and obviously failed at that since I'm back here now. I set my current goal based on what I feel I will be able to maintain in a healthy way since I've yoyo-ed before. Since puberty up through college I was always in the 140s-150s.

At 160 lbs right now I'm at 28% body fat which I'm pretty happy with (hope to get to 24-25% eventually). Most of my weight is in my hips/thighs too. I did a DEXA (x-ray) body composition scan last week and it was interesting to see that my lower abdomen body fat is only 23%, but my hips/upper thighs area is 37% body fat!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 with a goal weight of 145. This is the absolute max ( by bmi chart standards) for my height. I do alot of lifting and my goal is super strong and fit. I am trying to take my goals away from just the scale and instead focus of athleticism and overall fitness. I'm currently sitting at 158lbs with a body fat of about 26%. Also i find 145- 150 maintainable long term
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    The answer is that there is no answer. Not too high and not too low is all the advice you will ever get.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You should target a weight range at which you and your doctor agree that you’re happy and healthy.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    nessyv18 wrote: »

Currently feeling super intimidated about picking a goal weight. I'm a 5.8ft woman, stuck around 175lbs, which is just in the bottom of the overweight range. I originally set my goal for 160lbs, but after looking at some BMI calculators it seems like the healthiest range is 130-140ish. I'm a very sturdy, heavy set Dutch girl and honestly don't think I've weighed that little since I was 12 (and I was an absolute twig).

I also carry most weight in my lower body, so aside from a little stomach chub and my oversized thighs I have no idea where that extra 40ish lbs is supposed to come from. Won't that be way too thin?

Mostly wondering if body structure changes things or if these numbers are the same for everyone. Is this weight just maybe not obtainable for me? Or am I underestimating myself?

Will you be too thin? That's a bit subjective, but there are women who are 5'8" and in the underweight category. From a health-risk standpoint, they are too thin.

I'm not sure what you mean by body structure? Things like apple-shape, and fat distribution? They won't change your BMI - your BMI is your BMI. There, however, ratios that are better or worse in terms of likely health outcomes. Certain waist to hip ratios or waist to height ratios are said to better predict health than just BMI.
    Rather than structure as in shape or places fat is carried, there is a tendency for lean tissue to be much healthier than body fat. A person could be overweight and healthier than a normal BMI person for a lot of parameters if the overweight person carries a lot of muscle mass or other lean tissue such as denser bones. Statistically, it isn't likely to be the case for people that don't engage in a fair amount of resistance training or other athletics. Statistically, women are more likely to have a higher adiposity / issue of normal weight, metabolically obese.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    For me it’s about body fat percentage. I’m overweight (BMI) but have a low BF% - by design. I’ve worked hard for it. My doctor is totally happy with my weight.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options

I think you are referring to "ideal weight", which is something I've seen in various TDEE calculators. That's not the same thing as healthiest weight. It is an estimate at what might be the best weight for people at their height, but it's mostly an aesthetic thing. It's not about health. BMI is a fairly large range for a reason, which is that there is a fair bit of variability for what is considered a healthy weight. You don't need to target anyone else's definition of "ideal" weight if you are happy at your goal.

Ultimately when you get to 160, you may decide to stop there or go down further. Either are okay.
  • notmyachillesheel8
    notmyachillesheel8 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Currently I’m 6’5 333, im fat and out of shape. My perfect weight would be around 235, so about 100lbs to go!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    BF% is probably the better measurement to watch.

In my case back when I was first starting out the entire first month I worked my *kitten* off, lifted heavy and very strict on diet. Only lost 4 pounds, but BF% went down about 2%. Turns out I lost 6.6lbs of fat, gained 2.6 in lean mass. So overall body composition change was a positive 9.2lbs which was more encouraging. I kept tracking composition rather than weight and watched it improve pretty much every month.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

160 is a perfectly reasonable goal weight for now. What you put in MFP for your goal is actually insignificant, as we were just discussing on another thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/general-diet-and-weight-loss-help
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    On a skim-through I didn't see it mentioned (apologies if I missed it!), so I want to add this, although you may already be aware of it:

Whatever you tell MFP your goal weight is, that has zip-zero-no effect on how it calculates your weight loss calorie goal. None.

MFP asks you to put a goal weight in your profile, but it only uses that for some motivational type messages, like the "ticker" you can put on your page that says you've lost X out of Y pounds, or you have Z pounds to goal, or whatever.

You can set your goal weight at anything less than your current weight, set up the other profile data according to instructions, and your calorie goal will be the same regardless. It's not worth agonizing over. You can change it later, no penalty or even difference.

Not worth worrying over, truly. Set it to whatever seems adequate now, and re-evaluate as you get closer, when you have more information/experience/insight.
  • VictoriaTuel
    VictoriaTuel Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options

I'm 5'8" and have a medium to large frame, with most of my fat stored in my lower body as well. I've spent a lot of time around 150-160lbs, with my highest being 180 and lowest being 128. When I was 170, I honestly had no idea where more than 10lbs of fat would come from. Then I just naturally started eating less and walking more and the next time I weighed myself I was 150-something. I think it's really hard to see yourself much bigger/smaller than you are/have been; you can surprise yourself with where you end up!

In my opinion, it's most important to remember that you can always readjust your goal. If you would feel better making a multi-step goal, getting to 160 and celebrating that achievement, then going for 150, and then 140 if you're still feeling the need/feasibility, do that! If you'd be more motivated by a larger goal, there's nothing wrong with going right for 140 and then adjusting higher if it didn't seem right for you!

I'm probably 150-something now after the holidays, but I personally felt my best athletically when I was in the 130s. However, I only got down there when I had more time to do distance running, and I looked obviously lean and was under 20% bf. If that's not your goal, then the 140s-150s would probably be just as healthy for you as the 130-140s. Your body will let you know where it's comfortable though :blush:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

There is no "ideal"...BMI is a range for which statistically when you fall into that range you are at less risk for various health problems. It is a range to accommodate various frames, muscle mass, etc. BMI is also in and of itself indicative of health or being healthy, no matter where you fall in that range. I know plenty of people who fall well within a normal range and they aren't healthy individuals in the least.
  • hrdormor
    hrdormor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, just thought it would be helpful to weigh in on (pun intended) the BMI is b.s. discussion with a few articles. I think it's worth knowing that BMI was created by a mathematician, not a doctor, and literally only looks at height and weight, which doesn't consider muscle mass or any other of a huge range of other factors:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/bmi-is-bogus-best-way-to-tell-if-youre-a-healthy-weight-2016-9?r=US&IR=T

Also worth noting that risk of death is higher in the underweight category (just below normal) than in overweight (not actually covered in the article...), obese or even severely obese (the three categories above normal) categories, which I think is pretty telling about how the 'normal' category was come up with:

https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20140328/underweight-even-deadlier-than-overweight-study-says

I'm really disappointed that myfitnesspal seems to still be using this measure at some level in helping you work out how many calories you need. As a short, but muscular woman, it's trying to recommend barely above starvation diet to be able to lose weight even at a very slow pace, which frankly is just not going to work. And the few times I've used the site before, I have lost weight at a much faster pace than it's suggesting, even without sticking to its recommendations, so I definitely think someone needs to rethink this, or at the very least put some heavy caveats around the advice they are giving... I'm sure it's already in some small print somewhere. Side note, the slimmest I've been in my adult life, I was still in the overweight category, and people were starting to tell me I looked unhealthily thin!

I hope you manage to get to a size/weight that you're happy with - please don't focus on BMI!