Help with Fitbit Inspire-Too many calories?

Options
Jonna13
Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
edited January 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Why is my Fitbit inspire/MFP giving me so many extra calories???

I have my settings to the lowest activity level, thinking that my tracker will sync and add the extra calories. But it seems waaaaayyyy off.

Please see attached pictures.

Thanks!

Replies

• Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    My activity level is set to “Not Very Active”

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Is this a new Fitbit? Like first day of synchronization?

Your level of steps indicates someone between lightly active and active on mfp to get no adjustment.

It depends on if these were gathered by exercise or other means. And whether your heart rate is generally speaking elevated which could cause Fitbit to over detect.

You will lose about .25 x BMR of this adjustment per minute of inactivity till midnight, so given the times this may be something you want to take into account.

You're also showing as being on Telus. I thought Telus network was only in BC and Alberta. Given that it is before 5 p.m. Pacific, is there any chance that your Fitbit and or MFP time zones are off, or that you recently travelled.

Both could affect things especially if the two apps are not on the same time zone
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Has it been different in the past, i.e., do you have experience and this is unusual, based on what you've actually done?

Is it out of line with what you know from experience about your weight loss rate?

What height/weight/age are you, and what's your weight loss rate goal?

Generally, setting MFP to the lowest activity level will result in relatively bigger adjustments.

FWIW, it's giving you a total gross calorie intake goal that would result in slow weight loss for me, even from my maintenance weight, but that's just me (I say this by way of explaining why I asked those questions).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Jonna13 wrote: »

That's not an MFP Activity Level.

Unless that is a language translation for us in English.

Tap and hold on that exercise Fitbit adjustment to get more details as to what Fitbit actually sent and when.

What did you do that day.

Review your Fitbit 24 hr graph for times of auto-exercise logging, long elevated HR, tons of steps when you weren't doing that many, ect.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Tap and hold on that exercise Fitbit adjustment to get more details as to what Fitbit actually sent and when.

Review your Fitbit 24 hr graph for times of auto-exercise logging, long elevated HR, tons of steps when you weren't doing that many, ect.

"Not very active" is the lowest activity level on MFP on the Android app.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    We would need to know your age, height and weight.

I have the same settings and about 8k steps total for an entire 24 hours gets me around 300 calories. I am 5'3", 55 years old, and weigh 125 pounds.

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If I put not very active then get a lot of steps I get TONS of extra exercise calories so I stick to the lightly active setting
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

It's an activity level on my App....
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Great MFP - make things inconsistent between web and app!

I stand corrected.

Not Very Active is better description than Sedentary though, which many people assumed was just work, and forgot about the other 15-16 hours of the day.