Anyone else... buy things then never use them?

Options

Replies

• XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    Options
    I am definitely not a true minimalist but I've gotten kind of into some of the ideas behind that sort of lifestyle. It has really helped.

I have a lot of friends who own like 400 books they have never read. That blows my mind.

The main thing I buy and don't use "enough" are shoes, clothes, etc. Especially because I like to thrift shop and find cheap deals. But it's not a deal if you don't WEAR the thing. So my new rule is I only buy things (thrift or otherwise) if I KNOW 100% that I'll wear them in the next 7 days. And then I usually do. The exception would be out of season items, in which case I ask myself honestly if I will be *excited* to wear the item when that season rolls around or if it's just okay.

I've really been cutting back on what I have. Having moved recently, put a spotlight on the situation and needing to cut back a lot. So, that's what I'm doing. I've cut down my clothes to just a few days worth, instead of weeks worth. Looking at it, I still think I have way too many. So, time to re-evaluate.
    Other things, I'm slowly working my way through. Especially kitchen items as I don't plan to cook things as extravagently as I once did. I'll also cut back on the number of dishes I have. Makes no sense to have enough for a table of eight when it's rare for there to be more than me in the home. I might do four...

Books are going the way of Kindle. I don't own a kindle. But, I do have the kindle reader app installed on phone and tablet. There are some books that aren't avaialble on kindle, or it's just easier to keep the print version due to text books or shop manuals.

Goal is to get everything I own, into my car and the few furniture items into a 5x8 trailer. this would be bed, kitchen table, small entertainment center a bookshelf and a few odds 'n ends.

This would be a significant change from when I moved where I had so much crap I was giving away things just to not have to deal with it

Sometimes I think it would be cool to just have what would fit in a backpack- clothes plus a tablet. I think minimalism is cool and you save a lot of money, but rent is still expensive?

Minimalism does have a degree of romanticism about it. However, that small of items is almost impossible unless under extreme circumstances in a modern culture. Work also dictates some, or how much stuff one may need. Such as special clothes and equipment, etc.

Rent can be expensive, especially if you rent a furnished apartment.

There's been twice in my adult life where I've owned very little. Both times I was happy with knowing I could move with relative ease. Miss that, and getting back to it is definitely an exercise of the mind.
  • cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    TarryTaffy wrote: »
    I've got too many black clothes. Guess I'm trying to hide my fat.

I love black clothing. It's a very sophisticated color & was the base of my wardrobe most of my life.

Now that I'm in FL, I wear lighter colors. Don't want to scare the locals into thinking a goth vampire is roaming freely amongst them. :smile:

Haha, I like the goth style, but don't really dress that way
  • cyaneverfat
    Options
    I am definitely not a true minimalist but I've gotten kind of into some of the ideas behind that sort of lifestyle. It has really helped.

I have a lot of friends who own like 400 books they have never read. That blows my mind.

The main thing I buy and don't use "enough" are shoes, clothes, etc. Especially because I like to thrift shop and find cheap deals. But it's not a deal if you don't WEAR the thing. So my new rule is I only buy things (thrift or otherwise) if I KNOW 100% that I'll wear them in the next 7 days. And then I usually do. The exception would be out of season items, in which case I ask myself honestly if I will be *excited* to wear the item when that season rolls around or if it's just okay.

I've really been cutting back on what I have. Having moved recently, put a spotlight on the situation and needing to cut back a lot. So, that's what I'm doing. I've cut down my clothes to just a few days worth, instead of weeks worth. Looking at it, I still think I have way too many. So, time to re-evaluate.
    Other things, I'm slowly working my way through. Especially kitchen items as I don't plan to cook things as extravagently as I once did. I'll also cut back on the number of dishes I have. Makes no sense to have enough for a table of eight when it's rare for there to be more than me in the home. I might do four...

Books are going the way of Kindle. I don't own a kindle. But, I do have the kindle reader app installed on phone and tablet. There are some books that aren't avaialble on kindle, or it's just easier to keep the print version due to text books or shop manuals.

Goal is to get everything I own, into my car and the few furniture items into a 5x8 trailer. this would be bed, kitchen table, small entertainment center a bookshelf and a few odds 'n ends.

This would be a significant change from when I moved where I had so much crap I was giving away things just to not have to deal with it

Sometimes I think it would be cool to just have what would fit in a backpack- clothes plus a tablet. I think minimalism is cool and you save a lot of money, but rent is still expensive?

Minimalism does have a degree of romanticism about it. However, that small of items is almost impossible unless under extreme circumstances in a modern culture. Work also dictates some, or how much stuff one may need. Such as special clothes and equipment, etc.

Rent can be expensive, especially if you rent a furnished apartment.

There's been twice in my adult life where I've owned very little. Both times I was happy with knowing I could move with relative ease. Miss that, and getting back to it is definitely an exercise of the mind.

Yeah, you definately need things for the kitchen, bathroom etc. No one really needs a treadmill though, you can just go to the gym or walk outside. I don't know if there are gyms you can pay per use in my town. Would be worth checking out.
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    Options
    I'm unsure on the gym aspect. Most 'm familiar with are monthly costs, and not a punch card style. But, could exist and not aware of it.

• cyaneverfat
    Options
    I'm unsure on the gym aspect. Most 'm familiar with are monthly costs, and not a punch card style. But, could exist and not aware of it.

I know they have them for the swimming pools and for zumba but they work out to be so expensive! (pool is $6 per session, zumba is $10)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    Kitchen stuff... small appliances and specialized implements. Anything other than the Keurig, toaster, crockpot and hand mixer will just gather dust. Yet for some reason I own two blenders?

I have a slow cooker I don't use... it doesn't help that the 2 meals I cooked in it turnt into slop

That's why I stick with slop food like stews and soups in the slow cooker.

I was under the impression there are countless things you can make in there?

Apparently there are, but most of them I don't eat (meat, poultry) so I'm wasting its talents. I've made bread pudding in it, I guess that wasn't slop. And long ago some weird cottage cheese protein "bread" thing.
  • TarryTaffy
    TarryTaffy Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there are gyms you can pay per use in my town. Would be worth checking out.

I've traveled extensively & have lived in over 1-dozen states. Most places sans monthly fees are WMCA/WYCAs, usually $5-8/visit. In most cases, in my experience, that's more than the daily cost for a more modern gym membership, but it does depend on workout... I'm a swimmer, so am always looking for a lap pool. The Y's normally have longer pools.

I hope you find something perfect, really close to you & affordable. Working out shouldn't be cost prohibitive... imho, it often is for the average worker.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

I love using my local public library for books, whether digital or print books. I submit a "suggestion for purchase" any time there's something I'd like to read that is not in their catalog, and 90% of the time they get it. I don't even live in a huge city, either (mid-sized). It saves me so much money because I read at least 1-2 books per week.

I don't think I would really ever want to own a tiny house or live a truly minimalist lifestyle. I do subscribe to some of the ideas though, for sure.

It is crazy how much a person can accumulate without even really "trying" or shopping excessively. In 2011, I literally started over from scratch when I went through that tornado and had to get all new things from clothing to furniture. I really have made an effort for the past 8 years not to consume so much and be so materialistic...yet every time I go through my closets and the rooms of my small home to look for donation items, I come up with a huge bag (or two!) of items I no longer want or need. I don't know how it's even possible.

• mommabear4315
    mommabear4315 Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    ..... always remember, it ain't hoarding if your *kitten* is cool.

ah39cqx54ylg.gif

Oh wait annnddd hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahah
  • mrschwarten
    mrschwarten Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Are the bottles reuseable? It's good if they help you drink more.

Yep, totally! Cute ones, practical ones, plastic, glass, or metal...I really try my hardest to keep away from single use plastics. Sometimes I argue with myself a lot about this. Is it really that eco, if I'm buying new ones all the time? Isn't that not all too different that buying a case of bottled water, with just a little extra work involved? But I just hoard them, not throw them away, so it can't be all that bad, right?? lol it's like a cartoonish court case in my head sometimes 😂
  • cyaneverfat
    Options
    TarryTaffy wrote: »
    I don't know if there are gyms you can pay per use in my town. Would be worth checking out.

I've traveled extensively & have lived in over 1-dozen states. Most places sans monthly fees are WMCA/WYCAs, usually $5-8/visit. In most cases, in my experience, that's more than the daily cost for a more modern gym membership, but it does depend on workout... I'm a swimmer, so am always looking for a lap pool. The Y's normally have longer pools.

I hope you find something perfect, really close to you & affordable. Working out shouldn't be cost prohibitive... imho, it often is for the average worker.

$5 per visit is probably too much for me. I wanted to do a zumba class, but its $10 per session. Might just look it up on youtube.
  • cyaneverfat
    Options

I love using my local public library for books, whether digital or print books. I submit a "suggestion for purchase" any time there's something I'd like to read that is not in their catalog, and 90% of the time they get it. I don't even live in a huge city, either (mid-sized). It saves me so much money because I read at least 1-2 books per week.

I don't think I would really ever want to own a tiny house or live a truly minimalist lifestyle. I do subscribe to some of the ideas though, for sure.

It is crazy how much a person can accumulate without even really "trying" or shopping excessively. In 2011, I literally started over from scratch when I went through that tornado and had to get all new things from clothing to furniture. I really have made an effort for the past 8 years not to consume so much and be so materialistic...yet every time I go through my closets and the rooms of my small home to look for donation items, I come up with a huge bag (or two!) of items I no longer want or need. I don't know how it's even possible.

At least you don't come up with like 11 bags like someone on this thread (I think).

I haven't used the library in years. I still have a lot of books at home I haven't read. And on the tablet.
  • cyaneverfat
    Options
    Are the bottles reuseable? It's good if they help you drink more.

Yep, totally! Cute ones, practical ones, plastic, glass, or metal...I really try my hardest to keep away from single use plastics. Sometimes I argue with myself a lot about this. Is it really that eco, if I'm buying new ones all the time? Isn't that not all too different that buying a case of bottled water, with just a little extra work involved? But I just hoard them, not throw them away, so it can't be all that bad, right?? lol it's like a cartoonish court case in my head sometimes 😂

I've brought a few protein shakers and my mum borrows them, then loses the middle part- argh!!! I'm wondering if I can make one in the ninja blender or it it will get blended too much.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    One of my vacation projects was to completely clear out my basement because I'm having a huge area of flooring redone. I've found way too many things that I bought and never used. As in, 12 years' worth. There are quite a few local organizations that have benefited from the donations I've hauled out.
  • MaverickMatt_
    MaverickMatt_ Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Shoes....
  • cyaneverfat
    Options
    Shoes....

I wish I had a walk in wardrobe! I have trouble finding beautiful shoes in my size though
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    This is one problem I don't seem to have, ha. I like when everything is organized and in it's place so if I don't have room for something I don't get it or I get ride of other stuff to make room. I have a good size house, but also have 3 kids so if anything I think we have too many toys (and I go through the toy room monthly when my kids are gone and take toys to donation).
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible...

a bike, an indoor bike, a treadmill, a juicer, etc. I could probably list about 30 things. I feel so ashamed for wasting so much money.

Why can't I bring myself around to use these things? why am I so spoiled and selfish?

I don't want to give these things away or sell them, but I don't want to waste them either. Does anyone have any tips to use the things you just had to have? (because other people had them and they looked so cool?). What drives/motivates you to use things?

I'm actually considering talking about this in a therapy session. Wondering if this is some kind of disorder. Why am I collecting things to gather dust? It's like those celebrities or rich people that have massive wardrobes with thousands of clothes that you know they are only going to wear -1 time.

**cough cough** An elliptical. I don't know why I keep it other than I don't know how to get rid of it without just throwing it away, which would be a huge waste of money. I'd be okay selling it, but I live on a military base and no military person is going to spend anywhere near what it's still worth and would constantly try to haggle me down on it, so nope. In my home it sits.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    mtndewme wrote: »
    I do that with art supplies.

Uh, if you use them (ever), then it's not the same. :lol:

That's my justification for my hoard. Don't @ me!
  • cyaneverfat
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »
    This is one problem I don't seem to have, ha. I like when everything is organized and in it's place so if I don't have room for something I don't get it or I get ride of other stuff to make room. I have a good size house, but also have 3 kids so if anything I think we have too many toys (and I go through the toy room monthly when my kids are gone and take toys to donation).

I wonder if they still have toy libraries?