Late night eating

Options
My struggle with food is late night eating. I can go all day with eating well (small meals/snacks) and eat a good dinner. But as soon as it is 8 or 9pm and the tv goes on...I want to munch on whatever I can get my hands on. I have tried fruit, veggies, yogurt, cereal, etc...the healthy choices but i find that if i have one snack i want more. one is never enough. i know it has something to do with boredom, but i feel weak! I just dont have enough willpower to say no to all the snacks and what is even worse, I tend to wake up at night, after sleeping a few hours, and eat more! and then wake up in the morning hating myself...i would love advice or even just hear that someone else understands and that i am not the only one struggling with this.

Replies

• dhutch33
    dhutch33 Posts: 25
    Options
    My struggle with food is late night eating. I can go all day with eating well (small meals/snacks) and eat a good dinner. But as soon as it is 8 or 9pm and the tv goes on...I want to munch on whatever I can get my hands on. I have tried fruit, veggies, yogurt, cereal, etc...the healthy choices but i find that if i have one snack i want more. one is never enough. i know it has something to do with boredom, but i feel weak! I just dont have enough willpower to say no to all the snacks and what is even worse, I tend to wake up at night, after sleeping a few hours, and eat more! and then wake up in the morning hating myself...i would love advice or even just hear that someone else understands and that i am not the only one struggling with this.
  • vhaymakerv
    Options
    How long have you been dieting? I myself struggled quite a bit in the beginning. For me it's been a little over a month and just now my body is adjusting to not eating late at night.. ya know where I don't feel that empty achy feeling. Are you intaking enough calories during the day? That could be your problem. Try drinking as much water as you can.. that helps me. hope this helps!
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I work a strange shift and usually get home betewen 9:30 and 11:00 I agree withh the water suggestion, and if you need something more flavorful, try crystal light. Or, in one thread I was in, someone suggested exercising while you are watching tv. That seems like it would help sort of change up the routine.
  • tazspastic
    tazspastic Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Try some sugarless gum!
  • vhaymakerv
    Options
    I've heard that chewing gum helps.. for some reason when I chew it just makes me hungrer lol.. maybe it's just me!!
  • mmackie
    mmackie Posts: 93
    Options
    You might not be eating enough calories during the day especially if you're waking up and eating more. Then again, your body might just be adjusing to eating differently. I would say-don't eat in the middle of the night...I don't eat after 7, unless I'm going to meet friends for dinner or something. Any chewing gum or brusing your teeth might be a good idea.

Good Luck!
  • dhutch33
    dhutch33 Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions!!!:smile: Funny enough, but being busy on the computer has helped already!! Im not eating!! (Too busy) I'll have to see how it goes later tonight...:smile:
    THANKS AGAIN:happy:
  • GypsyQueen
    GypsyQueen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I also am fighting late night snacking. I work night shift hrs during the week and have a hard time sleeping on the weekends. I challenge myself to keep away from food by the hour, so far it has helped. I also find a hobby to keep my hands busy. Filling out MFP daily food diary is very helpful, at one glance you can decide if you have the calories for the goodies or not. (my good friend Sassekel is dedicated to the food diary and has encouraged me to do the same) You have been given a lot of great suggestions I see.. exercising is a good one, chewing gum & drinking water are also helpful. How about a nice hot cup of diet Swiss Miss, only 25 calories a cup! It helps to fill the need for a sweet chocolate snack!
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    I agree that it takes a while to get out of the habit of eating at night. Once I got into the "habit" of not eating, well, the cravings and the signals to eat stop. I don't eat a thing after 7pm. I use tea for comfort, hot water with 1/2 a lemon, or iced water if it is a very hot night. Oh, and I do a protein shake after dinner as my "dessert". :smile:
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I really love to have a glass of milk and a peanut butter sandwich at night, it's a habit and on a really bad day before I started this I might even throw some bacon on - turkey or not, we're still talking a like a fairly big breakfast for a night snack:noway: So, I usually have something, then go brush my teeth, clean my face (I use proactive so it's a cycle that doesn't take just five minutes), put a crest whitening strip on and by the time I complete all that, I really have no desire to go get more food. I'm also fighting a plantar wart on my foot and that has become a part of my routine (tmi? :laugh: ) so after I sanitize my hands again the desire has left.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Really...I just eat something. I like having a midnight snack, and I keep it within my calories. But! I make sure it's healthy and has some protein. Like, tonight I'm planning on some vanilla yogurt with almonds. I'm a college student, so I'm up late anyway.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    It's a slow process. Be patient, continue to challenge yourself with mini-goals. I broke this habit a while back- made it the only focus for a while. Now when I REALLY must have something, I pick a healthier and smaller version of my desire. I second the Diet Swiss Miss- I add a dollip(sp?) of Reddi-Whip and keep everything within my calories. I've also found it eye-opening and motivating to pre-log those munchies. Just seeing those extra cals can stop me!!:smile:
  • AmyLou9903
    Options
    Have you tried eating some air-popped popcorn? The poppers are pretty cheap. Just spritz one or two sprays of one of the fat-free margarine replacements if you can't stand it plain. It's pretty low-cal and virtually no fat, and it allows the "hand to mouth" feeling. This is what my MIL does and it really helps her maintain her weight while she "snacks" away at night.

And I agree--it goes away after a bit. Brushing your teeth or popping in some breathmints would help, too--after all, not too many foods go with a spearmint flavor.