Meal prepping

Options
xjmayintx3p0.png

Replies

• ellen28511
    ellen28511 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you always been a planner? That's one of my weaknesses. Half the time I'm hitting grocery store at 5:30am on way to work. 😫
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    My meal prep planning success happened when I got an instant pot that cuts the cooking time to almost nothing. I make 10+ portioned meals every weekend and toss them in my freezer or quick easy reheat and eat.
    I use wide mouth mason jars for freezer storage that is environmentally friendly and lasts long (if not dropped!).
  • sylphellcrys
    sylphellcrys Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Whenever I make a recipe that freezes well I will quadruple it because the extra work is not incremental. We ate one portion of cassoulet with green salad and the rest is cooling before going into the freeezer.
    n5z4p7eoq604.jpeg

That looks amazing! Can I have your recipe?
  • Dailly13
    Dailly13 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Love meal prepping. it saves you calories, money and time.
  • annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    pinx22 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of meal prepping. Get done with a busy day at work, I take it out of my freezer, pop it in the microwave and I walk away. The prep time takes a minute, but the new Instant Pot I got saved me plenty. Would love to exchange ideas with anyone. New to My Fitness Pal, but I love to cook. This is the Beef and Broccoli I just made. qr5bzrlfkfn3.jpg

That looks delicious. Can I have the recipe? I just got an instant pot and I'm looking for appropriate meals Thanks
  • BuffaloChixSalad
    BuffaloChixSalad Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Breakfast for two days done. 200cal in each tub. After reheating and adding more liquid this makes 400g breakfast at 200cal.

flzu94u494mk.jpg

zosamx4cf2cw.jpg

What's in the 200 call tube? Looks yummy
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Whenever I make a recipe that freezes well I will quadruple it because the extra work is not incremental. We ate one portion of cassoulet with green salad and the rest is cooling before going into the freeezer.
    n5z4p7eoq604.jpeg

That looks amazing! Can I have your recipe?

I looked up several cassoulet recipes on the internet and settled on this relatively simple method. Makes about 12 modest single portions and it freezes well.

Soak 2-3 cups of dried white beans overnight in plenty of water. Change the water, salt, and simmer about an hour until almost tender.

In the meantime brown the meats with olive oil in a large casserole. If you have duck or goose confit brown skin side down and set aside. If you don't have any confit, generously salt 6 skin on raw chicken thighs, brown, and set aside. Brown a packet of thick sausages and set aside. Brown a packet of cubed bacon with a chopped onion and a few cloves of minced garlic. Turn off the heat. When meats are cool enough to handle, chop sausages into large chunks and if you are using confit, remove the bones.

When beans are almost done, drain and stir into the bacon onion mixture. Most recipes call for tomato paste but I just added a large squirt of ketchup for a little sweetness. Put the meats in with the beans and then add enough chicken stock or water to just cover the beans. Toss in a few bay leaves and a few sprigs of thyme. You can make this in advance up to this point.

Two hours before you want to eat, sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake in a 150C oven with the lid off. If the bread crumbs are over browning, stir them into the cassoulet and sprinkle a fresh layer of bread crumbs top. If needed, add a little water or stock so that the beans are just barely submerged. After baking for two hours beans should be buttery. Serve with a simple green salad dressed in a tart vinaigrette.

I freeze leftovers in small casserole dishes covered with cling film. Take out in the morning to defrost in the fridge and warm up cooked cassoulet for about 20 minutes in the oven. A fork pricked through the middle should feel warm to the touch.
  • Hey_Skippy
    Hey_Skippy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I’ve been trying to get more into meal prepping and I love it. I’m currently eating the last portion of a curry inspired veggie stew I made last week. I dumped in a ton of diced up butternut squash, turnips, red bell peppers, mushrooms, cauliflower, carrots, and onion. Stewed it down with a can of coconut milk and tomato sauce, curry powder, garam masala, and a hit of creamy peanut butter. I made this before I was counting calories, so I’ve just had to guesstimate. Once my food scale arrives from Amazon I’ll be able to much more accurately create meals.
  • BuffaloChixSalad
    BuffaloChixSalad Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for two days done. 200cal in each tub. After reheating and adding more liquid this makes 400g breakfast at 200cal.

flzu94u494mk.jpg

zosamx4cf2cw.jpg

What's in the 200 call tube? Looks yummy

Oatmeal.

That's it? Looks like more than. I was wondering what the toppings are
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I love meal prep! This week for lunch, I have an Italian chopped salad that I found on Pinterest. Everything is chopped but left in separate containers, so it doesn’t get all soggy and gross. Normally, I do prep my meal containers though. Next week, I’m planning on making some Cajun sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli, and maybe chicken? Sausage? Haven’t decided on the protein yet.

For breakfast, I’ll sometimes make a frittata in a 9x13 dish. It provides 6 meals. I have also made breakfast burritos or sandwiches and put them in the freezer. This week though, I’m having Greek yogurt with protein powder, a zero calorie flavoured sweetener (I think it’s s’mores), and a fibre one cereal sprinkled on top.

If I meal plan for dinner, it’s really just making a second portion for each of us to have the next day when we are busy with activities. There are a couple days in the week where we eat the YMCA because we don’t have time to run home between activities.