Food Scale.. worth it or not?

Options

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    A food scale is a basic premise of MFP methodology, so yes. Take time to read the sticky posts at the top of the forum.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    From monitoring calories to stretching food budget (enjoying more with less) kitchen scale is absolutely worth whatever you decide to pay for one!!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Probably the single best bang for your buck you can get in terms of money for something benificial. I don't even use mine that often, but I find it to be beneficial when I need it. Considering you can get them for under 15 bucks, it's a no brainer.
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Unless you spend your money on plans / products where everything is already measured out in serves then very worth it. I enjoy almonds and peanut butter - highly calorific foods that aren't practical or cost-effective to by in "Single Serve". For this I have a food scale at home and another at my office desk at work. If you don't have a job where it is practical to do what I do, then do what I used to do before the second scale came along - measure out a serve before you head out.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yes, its worth it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    We've always had one, so it was my first and most logical choice when I decided to start losing weight, even before I joined this forum. I hate extra dishes, so 100% worth it to me for calorie management. As a bonus, it's also the most precise way to record my intake so my weight loss was more predictable. I'm done losing and I'm now maintaining, and I still use it for most things. It's invaluable for calorie-dense things because the margin of error for measuring these foods is large.

If you don't mind unpredictable weight loss (or aggressive troubleshooting beyond water weight issues if your weight loss stalls), then you don't really need one. It is nice to have, though.
  • yellobird13
    yellobird13 Posts: 118 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    After41 wrote: »
    It's a nice tool to have in any kitchen if you are a cook. It also will help you realize portion sizes. If you are stuck on a plateau, sometimes portion sizes are the culprit. $20 is't going to break the bank, and anything over that is just for brand.

I‘ll echo this - I use it to cook regardless of diet, works wonders to measure coffee grounds to make good coffee, for flour etc. and is a great tool for anyone who cooks. I also love it for measuring my portions. Agree with others that there are good ones that are cheap. I selected mine so that I can still read the numbers with a dinner plate sitting on it (some scales are too small for that).
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Unless you spend your money on plans / products where everything is already measured out in serves then very worth it. I enjoy almonds and peanut butter - highly calorific foods that aren't practical or cost-effective to by in "Single Serve". For this I have a food scale at home and another at my office desk at work. If you don't have a job where it is practical to do what I do, then do what I used to do before the second scale came along - measure out a serve before you head out.

even packaged stuff is often quite off, so even someone eating everything out of a package with serving size could benefit from a scale.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Very necessary!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, Yes, it is very much worth it. Accuracy is everything and spending $20 or less is so much worth it!

Not only are you able to log more accurately, as you work with your scale you will get a better sense of what a portion looks like, which will help you when you are eating out or at another's home. I feel comfortable estimating a restaurant meal now that I know what 6 oz. of chicken breast looks like or 2 oz. of shredded cheese.

You need a scale that measures in grams and has a tare function. Anything else is not necessary (especially the liquid function which is only accurate for water and reasonably accurate for milk).
  • MeghanStruck
    MeghanStruck Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth it so you know exactly what/ how much is going into your body. I found it tedious at first, but it became easier, and now it’s just part of the motions to meal prepping. Its worth it .
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    100% worth it. Weight loss is about calories in vs calories out. The closer you get to being accurate with the calories in part, the easier it all gets.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I wish MFP added a function that if someone disagrees with what you post, they have to reply with a why. Because again, I have no idea why would anyone disagree with what I wrote lol

Buddy, some people just have issues. You probably wouldn't want to see their crazy explanation anyway. It would just frustrate you more.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    It has been crucial to my weight loss. Love my OXO® 5lb. Food Scale...it has held up to a lot of use and very accurate.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I checked with my financial advisor when I purchased the first one for $12 but when I upgraded to the $19 one, I went wild and bought it without investment advice. Use it on most everything I eat.
  • Belfordo
    Belfordo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There is no other way to lose weight! You Will use them for every meal
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I wish MFP added a function that if someone disagrees with what you post, they have to reply with a why. Because again, I have no idea why would anyone disagree with what I wrote lol

I got a Disagree for my post stating that I had vegetables rotting in my compost bin, so can't really take them seriously.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    So worth it that when mine broke I found one on Amazon that had next day delivery. I can't be successful without it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    So worth it that when mine broke I found one on Amazon that had next day delivery. I can't be successful without it.

Yes, I go to my mother's every weekend and when I accidentally left my scale there I bought another one from Amazon so I wouldn't have to wait a week to get my scale back and could leave the old scale there.

In addition to helping with logging for food, it is also super convenient for making recipes. In fact, many cooking sites suggest bakers weigh flour rather than use measuring cups, which is what they do in kitchens where I have worked. (It's convenient for more than just flour though.)