Needing lots of encouragement and advice

Options
5 years ago I was diagnosed with heart failure, AFIB, VFIB, tachycardia and a very slow heartbeat when sleeping. Almost 4 years ago I received a pacemaker/defibrillator. 9 years ago I had multiple blood clots and have had problems with my leg since. I am a type 1 diabetic. Told that I have liver disease and fatty tissue in my pancreas. 3 years ago my left shoulder froze after falling down the stairs and injuring it. I have outlived most people diagnosed with heart failure only 50% make it 5 years after diagnosis. Exercise can be difficult but not impossible. I have managed to lose over 40lbs the last 4 years by myself, but I still have 100lbs to go.

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    good news is you don't need exercise to lose weight - just be extra careful about your intake while eating in a deficit and you will lose over time.
  • chrisvideoedit
    chrisvideoedit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Exercise is important and recommended. I would suggest using the My Fitness Pal app to the fullest extent. Use the food diary to record what you eat. Look at it as it helps you think about it in terms of what you are eating. It’s sort of like a form of accountability. When I eat bad I think twice because the food diary is a visual reminder of what I ate that day. I have Stage-3 Hypertension and I’m on three medications to help control my high blood pressure. My doctor insists though I need to walk for 30 minutes a day each and every day and then a sensible diet of fresh fruits and vegetables with lean protein meat sources. Fish, chicken and turkey is what I mostly eat. It’s up to you on how you approach it but if you eat sensibly I person can get to a good state of health in a reasonable time frame. Hope this helps.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing very well despite a lot of challenges. Welcome! What specifically are you needing encouragement and support with? This is a very friendly community.

Has your doctor given you advise about recommended/possible exercise?
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Awesome job on the 40 pound loss👍 I'm inspired by your story and I've got faith that you can achieve your goals💗
  • coolgiant
    coolgiant Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If anyone needs assistance or someone to workout with I can be of help.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Did you every resolve the frozen shoulder? I went through that and it was wickedly painful and inconvenient, but physical therapy really really helped. Slow, gentle movement might be the way to go for you given your health history. Any movement is better than no movement :) and even though exercise is not required for weight loss, activity really helps with a lot of different health issues.
  • sweetposs2427
    sweetposs2427 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are doing very well despite a lot of challenges. Welcome! What specifically are you needing encouragement and support with? This is a very friendly community.

The doctor just says to do what you can. I have a tendency to self sabotage and give up.
  • sweetposs2427
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    Did you every resolve the frozen shoulder? I went through that and it was wickedly painful and inconvenient, but physical therapy really really helped. Slow, gentle movement might be the way to go for you given your health history. Any movement is better than no movement :) and even though exercise is not required for weight loss, activity really helps with a lot of different health issues.

No, insurance won't pay for it.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

The doctor just says to do what you can. I have a tendency to self sabotage and give up.

Take it slow and easy, small things count as well. Park a bit farther away when you go grocery shopping or run errands. Not at the far end of parking lot, but maybe 10 spaces farther than what you normally would. When that becomes easy, make it farther. Start walking, at a pace you are comfortable with and over time you will see you can do a bit more, and more. Chair exercises are also helpful, I still use some of them.
    I went through the frozen shoulder, bursitis issue. PT helped as did various exercises I learned through it. I still do about 5 of them everyday to keep the shoulder moving around.
    Track what you are doing, that may help you see, that you are making progress. But 40 lb loss, with all you have been through that is a great achievement.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Wow. You have been through a lot. Have you spoken with your doctor or a nutritionist? It seems like with all your medical issues that your doctor would work with you on weight loss. Eating healthy and exercise definitely helps. Even if you can walk. Start slow and increase the speed or distance as you are physically able. Don't give up, but rather set small goals for yourself. I'd start with tracking your food. See a nutritionist so they can help you steer you to eating healthy.

Good luck. Let us know how you are doing.
  • sweetposs2427
    Options
    Wow. You have been through a lot. Have you spoken with your doctor or a nutritionist? It seems like with all your medical issues that your doctor would work with you on weight loss. Eating healthy and exercise definitely helps. Even if you can walk. Start slow and increase the speed or distance as you are physically able. Don't give up, but rather set small goals for yourself. I'd start with tracking your food. See a nutritionist so they can help you steer you to eating healthy.

Good luck. Let us know how you are doing.

Yes I've seen nutritionist. Walking is difficult and painful at times but I do what I can.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    With all those multiple health challenges, have you considered that weight loss is something you actually have control over? You have already made a GREAT start. Not that it’s easy, and a lot of people struggle with cravings and “comfort” eating (me included). Know that we are rooting for you and that this community is full of amazing knowledge, good suggestions and support. If you keep at it, even with small changes, you will eventually lose more weight. You only fail if you give up. The Success Stories picture threads have some amazingly inspirational examples that may help you.