Good Shoes for Heavy Guys

Options
Looking for good shoes for working out in the gym. I'm 6'4" 320lbs & I can't seem to find a pair of shoes that hold up. Any advise?

Replies

• mathdad41
    mathdad41 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've always had good luck with New Balance. I'm 6'5 340ish and size 16 shoe.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,994 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I've had this same pair of sneakers made by Sketcher's since I started WLJ at 280ish lbs in April 2019...still going strong and I exercise every day! New Balance is also well made.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Weight training or hamster wheel(s)?
  • FinelyFermented
    FinelyFermented Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I not heavy, but I do have foot issues. My current Asics gel have been my favorite so far. If you look them up on Amazon, you can usually find last years shoe for half the price of high end stuff(Brooks, Saucony). Good luck
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts? That makes a big difference. Walking/running needs a very different shoe than weightlifting. CrossFit kind of stuff may be best in yet another kind of shoe.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Gym lifting shoes I use leather Nobulls
    Comfortable, durable and great for most big lifts
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I started seeing a podiatrist last fall. His top recommendations are Brooks and New Balance.

I went with the New Balance 1540 and it is not an exaggeration when I say they changed my life.

[edit] I should add I am not a man but the recommendation works regardless of gender. I'm also heavy and blow through shoes quickly.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I've had this same pair of sneakers made by Sketcher's since I started WLJ at 280ish lbs in April 2019...still going strong and I exercise every day! New Balance is also well made.

I like Sketchers, too. I have several pairs and that is pretty much all that I wear.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I love Nike Air Monarchs. Really good support, good ride and last quite a while. Only knock I have against them are they tend to be kinda hot to wear in the summer.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    As you can see by literally every answer here being different, it is very individualized, very much up to preference, and very much up to personal needs. The truth of the matter is this, no name brand company really makes bad training shoes anymore, they're all using really great foam, and if you buy the right colour and upper material, they'll last quite a while and look good (regardless of how people say you should change shoes every year or half year if it's for daily use). Go to a store, try something you like the look and price of on, assess comfort and ankle support, and go from there.

My personal company preference is Puma, and my bang for buck, and general favourite shoes of all time have been a pair of Puma NRGY trail shoes. Very comfortable for a heavier person, though I started at 265. I do weight train at least 4 days a week though and these have been worn daily, but still basically look brand new.

Unfortunately Puma stopped making that variant last year, which is a tremendous shame as that upper material was extraordinary; it insulates in the winter, breathes in the summer and does not show wear. The sole is still in production though in many different variations and is a great for comfort, running, walking and general training. The midsole foam predates Adidas boost, is made my the same company, is arguably as comfortable, and is a fraction of the cost. You can get a knit pair, which isn't a bad material, in the $ 30s on Amazon. If you want something firmer, you can buy something with their ignite foam, which potentially could be better for deadlifting. I purchased a pair around Christmas to try this year.

Buy what you buy with a darker colour sole, a good quality upper and they will last. The insoles may start to wear, but new insoles cost very little. Something with good ankle support is also suggested for training, most of the NRGY shoes do. Good luck!

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What is happening to your current shoes and how fast?
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    I use Brooks Beast, it is a good heavy person shoe.
  • nomorewombat
    nomorewombat Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    +1 for Brooks Beast, I'm heavy and wouldn't use any other shoe now.
  • tony2545
    tony2545 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I’ve been using Brooks Beast but after 3 months they started breaking down. Insoles have gone flat & stiching in the toe area is coming apart. I walk n the treadmill & lift weights.