What's the best leg exercise to replace walking?

Options
I am going to be snowed in for quite some time. Any recommendation on what I can do to keep my legs in shape during this time? I usually just walk for 1 hour daily.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Jump roping?
  • fmfdfa2020
    fmfdfa2020 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Rowing - I love the Waterrower.
  • RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    weight3049 wrote: »
    I am going to be snowed in for quite some time. Any recommendation on what I can do to keep my legs in shape during this time? I usually just walk for 1 hour daily.

Try one of these, or several. You can tweak the workout by your choices on the right-hand side.

https://darebee.com/filter#sort=position&sortdir=desc&attr.ct10.value=lower-body&page=1

Have fun! :)
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    slade51 wrote: »
    Do you have stairs?
    Start at the bottom, do 10 squats.
    walk to the top, 10 jumping jacks.
    Go back down & repeat.

I would need to do the jumping jacks at the BOTTOM of the stairs!!! Not sure I wouldn’t accidentally fall down a flight while trying to pull those off! Haha!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Low impact aerobics if you absolutely can't get out. Otherwise, walking in the snow is fun and very good exercise.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansome walk around home.
    Squats, lunges, and deadlifts.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Dance party.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I enjoy dance videos when I can’t get outside to walk. It seems like about a half hour of energetic dancing equals an hour walk, but it depends on the style of dance. Surf around on YouTube until you find something that fits your taste and abilities!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Shoveling snow (or even walking behind/maneuvering the snowblower) is a pretty good workout.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have walked for exercise for the last three years but somehow this year just can't handle the cold. I'm gonna break down and join the gym. I'm thinking swimming etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Another vote for snowshoeing. My pair was a $5 find at a yard sale. Since I am only concerned with burning calories and not distance, this low-tech, old-fashioned wooden pair is perfect for my needs.

Snowshoeing is so easy, and yet so hard. My thighs start hurting after 2 minutes. The most I've been able to do this winter so far was 19 minutes (not yet able to build up due to lack of snow.)

If not this, then snow shoveling, which is of course another exercise you need to pace yourself while performing.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Walking in a foot of snow is excellent exercise and while you may not go as far, or stay out as long, the intensity of effort makes up for it (for me, anyhow). The biggest challenge I face with a snow-dump is getting out in the first place because the thought of being outside when it's 20 or 30 (or more) degrees below freezing can derail me. So (1) I've accumulated the gear I need to keep warm & dry (2) I have a dog who loves to be outside.

When I am physically able to be out and about (i.e., not nursing an ankle or torqued knee due to slipping/falling) and just can't make myself, I adjust my calorie intake accordingly. The pitifully small amount I need to sustain during an inactive day usually becomes annoying enough that I am back outside after a couple of days.
  • weight3049
    weight3049 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm very new to the snowy weather so going outside during that time is brutal for me (sunny state to a very snowy cold one recently)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm very new to the snowy weather so going outside during that time is brutal for me (sunny state to a very snowy cold one recently)

I don't do snow either, but walking videos are a nice change. Many to choose from:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVl6ZdslZz2Zj-34bMJFPbg

'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3QZ-q-rNFE&list=PL61GDQBlOYiMK1NtuFj0ZgLEETynO4bTI
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Walk at Home videos on YouTube!

Today we got quite a bit of snow, roads were covered, so I did a Classical Stretch (Tai Chi/stretching) video then ran up and down the stairs for 10 minutes.

I just checked these out for my mum - she is nearly 70. The mile one is fab - ta!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Then you are not dressed properly ;)

There-Is-No-Bad-Weather1.png

When I was stationed in upstate NY, the military issued us Mukluks and parkas, and when I moved there again years later I bought boots from Sorel similar to these, which are rated to -100 degrees:

https://www.amazon.com/Sorel-Womens-Glacier-Black-Quartz/dp/B00HQJS5JQ/

81bDPjz17HL._AC_UY535_.jpg

But Mukluks are much cheaper:

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Weather-Mukluk-Military-Small/dp/B01B5D6SYW/

106259_ts.jpg