Why did I gain 2 pounds overnight?

Options
I’ve been eating around 800-1000 calories daily, I’m at 197 (from 240pounds) and just don’t have an appetite at all, at first I was excited because I was an emotional eater... now I feel maybe my metabolism is slowing or something because I run 4-8 miles a day (depending on what else is going on) and do in home strength training to firm up. I’ve been losing about a pound a day but today I stepped on my scale and was 2 whole pounds HEAVIER than the day before (I know you shouldn’t weigh daily but it motivates me to keep going) So my question is, is this inflammation, muscle, water (like the stuff saying I’m on the right track) or is it the food sitting there (maybe do a 24 hour water fast to clear things out, I’ve done water fasts in the past- longest was about a week) or is my body digesting slower for some reason now? Sorry this ended up being longer than I thought it would be. Thank you for any insight you can give smile 😃

Replies

• bighoopattitude
    bighoopattitude Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Have you been keeping an eye on how much you personally fluctuate weight? Everyone is different and there are so many factors.

Congrats on your success! Don’t let this deter you. Sorry for the TMO but I can easily fluctuate 2 pounds after a good poop.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    OP, what is your height? At 5’1, I eat more than you do and I consistently lose and I’m not running 4-8 miles a day. There are some days that I do not workout and on those days 1200 calories is the lowest I go.

Get a food scale, log what you’re eating, log log your exercise, and eat back half of the calories.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I’ve been eating around 800-1000 calories daily, I’m at 197 (from 240pounds) and just don’t have an appetite at all, at first I was excited because I was an emotional eater... now I feel maybe my metabolism is slowing or something because I run 4-8 miles a day (depending on what else is going on) and do in-home strength training to firm up. I’ve been losing about a pound a day but today I stepped on my scale and was 2 whole pounds HEAVIER than the day before (I know you shouldn’t weigh daily but it motivates me to keep going) So my question is, is this inflammation, muscle, water (like the stuff saying I’m on the right track) or is it the food sitting there (maybe do a 24-hour water fast to clear things out, I’ve done water fasts in the past- longest was about a week) or is my body digesting slower for some reason now? Sorry this ended up being longer than I thought it would be. Thank you for any insight you can give smile 😃

like everyone else said you need to eat more. what you are losing right now is not just fat and water you are losing muscle mass and are going to cause major issues for yourself. it's great you are running that much but you need to eat to support it and get the proteins needed to retain muscle mass. definitely do not do a water fast. a 2 lb or more swing can happen during a 24 hour period. I get the scale is an inspiration, but it is just as inspirational to see that weekly number (which should really top out at a 1-2 pounds - that is the goal for long term healthy loss
  • Blessedbecca24
    Blessedbecca24 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your concern. I am eating enough, I feel full every day. My biggest thing now is to listen to my body and I eat when I feel hungry. I have just become vegetarian (Thanksgiving 2019) the weight didn’t come off all at once, I have been working on weight loss for years now. What started my -1 pound a day was changing my beliefs! (Believe it or not) it was around the same time I gave up meat. Something inside clicked and I said, “I’m worth it!” So I began caring for myself not because I wanted to be skinny (even in my teens as a size 4, I have always had a huge bottom and have come to terms with the fact that I am very curvy and will never be “skinny” ) I’m 5’4 and very overweight. So I started by cutting portions to kids sized plates, wasn’t counting calories then just watching portions (over the course of about a year I lost 20-30 pounds or so) then last thanksgiving, I started watching steps (10k was my goal) but after a week of making that I added MyFitnessPal and began counting every calorie. As a SAHM of 3 homeschooled littles I’m always busy so I knew I had to do it at home. So I began running while I was doing dishes (it is apparently very funny because for the first few days I had my whole family laughing 😂) but I stuck with that and got down under 200 around the first of this month! That motivated me on a whole new level ( I made a promise to my body to not ever see THAT number again.) water fasts are healthy and again, I always listen to my body, on that 5 day fast I was aiming for 7 days but started feeling dizzy so I ate vegetable soup then moved on to fruit and veggies the next day. I know the actual fat I personally carry is from my emotions. That’s what I’ve been working on. I’m not obsessed with losing weight for others, I’m focused on getting healthy for me. So I will not hurt my body anymore than I did in the past (by allowing my emotions to be pushed down by food.) I only wrote this to see if anyone experienced anything similar. Thank you to the person who suggested maybe I need to wait til I have a bowl movement (there’s just no nice way of saying that is there 😂) because I did eat “heavy” food yesterday compared to the standard salad and veggies! (The kids wanted pizza so I had two slices and had a cupcake with them so that was a lot of processed food high in sugar too now that I’m thinking of it! Also, I drink a TON of water to help rid toxins that I know I have built up. I run so much but not all at once, like a mile here, two miles there throughout the day when I have time because it relaxes me, I put in my earphones and just zone out ❤️ I also track everything! 😂 my phone looks like I’m a scientist or something with all my graphs. I can see what I eat, how much I eat, when I exercise and all that. Maybe I’ll start to ease my calories back up but now that I’m at peace emotionally, I don’t have the urge to over eat. It reminds me of Seven of Nine from Star Trek Voyager (the best Star Trek EVER!) when she says she doesn’t require nourishment at this time. Anyway, thank you again for replying. You are all so sweet to have answered so wholeheartedly. 🤗 😘