Pre-Workout supplements

Options
I was interested in taking pre-workout supplements before the gym. I typically take HIIT classes and some light weights at the gym. I am trying to lose weight. Any suggestions?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Pre-workout is expensive and over-rated. They do nothing but pump you full of caffeine and maybe some niacin.

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Pre-workouts just give you more energy by generally giving you a high dose of caffeine. Some have also added Beta-Alanine and/or creatine.

Beta-Alanine and Creatine are very effective for boosting gym performance but it takes a couple of weeks for them to kick in, typically. Not all preworkouts contain these and it's actually cheaper and more effective (due to dosing in preworkouts) to buy them separately and dose them properly.

Creatine and beta-Alanine are both great for helping maintain muscle while losing weight.

5g of creatine everyday
    3.5g of beta-alanine everyday

Best dosage.

Neither do you much good if you don't lift weights though. Either lift heavy (weights you can do no more than 15 reps of) or you're not really accomplishing much.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Pre-workout is expensive and over-rated. They do nothing but pump you full of caffeine and maybe some niacin.

Quality pre-workouts will provide an adequate dose of caffeine, beta-alanine and L-Citrulline at the very least. There is proven evidence on each of these components. Some will add BCAAs and creatine. There is some evidence BCAAs, when taken daily improve recovery.

OP, what are you looking for in a pre-workout? There are a few that i know of that are dosed properly: Legion Athletic, Kaged Muscle, Cutler Nutrition, and Alpha Lion.

Overall, what you should look for:

Beta Alanine 1.6-3.2g
    L-Citrulline: 3-5g or Citrulline Malate 5-8g
    Caffeine: 150-400mg

If you take one with creatine, you should realize that in order to get the benefits of it, you need to consume 5g a day. So even on non workout days.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Do consider the amount of caffeine in your preworkout plus other sources of caffeine.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20045678

Caffeine: How much is too much?

Caffeine has its perks, but it can pose problems too. Find out how much is too much and if you need to curb your consumption.

If you rely on caffeine to wake you up and keep you going, you aren't alone. Caffeine is used daily by millions of people to increase wakefulness, alleviate fatigue, and improve concentration and focus.

How much is too much?

Up to 400 milligrams (mg) of caffeine a day appears to be safe for most healthy adults. That's roughly the amount of caffeine in four cups of brewed coffee, 10 cans of cola or two "energy shot" drinks. Keep in mind that the actual caffeine content in beverages varies widely, especially among energy drinks.

Although caffeine use may be safe for adults, it's not a good idea for children. Adolescents should limit caffeine consumption. Avoid mixing caffeine with other substances, such as alcohol.

Even among adults, heavy caffeine use can cause unpleasant side effects. And caffeine may not be a good choice for people who are highly sensitive to its effects or who take certain medications.

Women who are pregnant or who are trying to become pregnant and those who are breastfeeding should talk with their doctors about limiting caffeine use.

Read on to see if you may need to curb your caffeine routine.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Quality pre-workouts will provide an adequate does of caffeine, beta-alanine and L-Citrulline at the very least. There is proven evidence on each of these components. Some will add BCAAs and creatine. There is some evidence BCAAs, when taken daily improve recovery.

OP, what are you looking for in a pre-workout? There are a few that i know of that are dosed properly: Legion Athletic, Kaged Muscle, Cutler Nutrition, and Alpha Lion.

Beta Alanine 1.6-3.2g

If you take one with creatine, you should realize that in order to get the benefits of it, you need to consume 5g a day. So even on non workout days

Be aware that a common side effect of beta alanine is the “tingles,” and you can get them when you’re not working out. They’re harmless, but can be scary if you don’t know what’s causing them.

My “pre-workout” is a snack. 200-250 calories. I workout right after work. Lunch was 5-6 hours ago. And being hungry affects my workout by distracting me. And low blood sugar can cause me to have a less effective workout. My current fav is a Jimmy Dean turkey sausage and egg white muffin.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    Yeah, tingles bother some people but others like it. You can reduce them by taking half the dose in the morning and half later in the day.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I have to applaud the brilliance of marketing in the Western world. We now think we need to purchase something to start an activity as opposed to simply do it.

There is no measurable impact for the average user on these products. The impact on professional athletes is marginal at best.

Well, there is very solid evidence for both Creatine and Beta-Alanine being effective. You don't need it to lose weight or build muscle but it does have a noticeable effect.
  • mojavemtbr
    mojavemtbr Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Quality pre-workouts will provide an adequate does of caffeine, beta-alanine and L-Citrulline at the very least. There is proven evidence on each of these components. Some will add BCAAs and creatine. There is some evidence BCAAs, when taken daily improve recovery.

Beta Alanine 1.6-3.2g

If you take one with creatine, you should realize that in order to get the benefits of it, you need to consume 5g a day. So even on non workout days

I agree. Ive seen a similar question in the past with the same responses of people poo-pooing Pre workout formulas sauing it is merely a caffeine boost. I disagree with that. There is certainly a noticable difference in my workout when I take pre workouts supplements with BCAAs, L-Citrulline, and Arginine in them. Much more so than if I just drank an Espresso before the gym.
    But everyone is different. But for me I think many pre workout formulas do truly have positive benefits.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    My go to is simply...

u7n8yzcodtor.jpg

two heaping tablespoons in half a glass of very warm water with 5g creatine. Works a charm and a heck of a lot cheaper than most pre-workouts. I hit the gym at about 5pm and with most pre-workouts like C4 I was still wired by bed time. The folgers gets me wide awake and pumped but I'm down by 10pm.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2020
    Options
    mojavemtbr wrote: »

Beta Alanine 1.6-3.2g

I agree. Ive seen a similar question in the past with the same responses of people poo-pooing Pre workout formulas sauing it is merely a caffeine boost. I disagree with that. There is certainly a noticable difference in my workout when I take pre workouts supplements with BCAAs, L-Citrulline, and Arginine in them. Much more so than if I just drank an Espresso before the gym.
    But everyone is different. But for me I think many pre workout formulas do truly have positive benefits.

There is another benefit of taking supplements that people don't want to consider.... Its called placebo. If you believe you will recover faster or lift more, there is strong potential you will.

But I major in minors. And I don't shoot for being average.