1 week in and struggling

Hey, I’m determined to lose my post baby weight, I have around 2 stone to lose. My daily calorie goal is 1490, which isn’t even that low, but I feel sick everyday, and so tired. Today I’m feeling a little faint and weak, is this normal to start with? When you’ve been used to a lot more calories over the previous months? I can’t actually believe how many calories are in certain things it’s really got me thinking about what I was eating, even things like mayonnaise and olive oil in cooking! Finding low calorie things that satisfy me I’m struggling with, I love cooked veg but not a fan of raw veg like salad etc!

Replies

• sarahrose237
    sarahrose237 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for your reply, no it’s set to 1lb and I’m not breastfeeding anymore. Will just have to see how I get on the next few days!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Whenever I dieted and felt that way, people used to tell me to up my water and protein, not sure if that's your issue or not?
    But it's weird, eversince I came on MFP, and have been carefully watching my calories, I haven't felt any of that. I think I used to restrict my calories and types of foods much more than I do now. So make sure you are getting enough cals. and different foods. Don't be afraid of food to the point where you find yourself only eating veggies, or something like that. You still need a balanced diet.
  • AbiMartel207
    AbiMartel207 Posts: 6 Member
    Try not to be so harsh on yourself. Making small changes will shift it - the most important thing is to stick with the commitment. Take the pressure off yourself to stick to the calorie limit - instead use these first couple of weeks to up your activity and log everything you eat. If you can get into the habit of logging everything and raising an awareness of your eating choices, you'll naturally start to make healthier choices longer term (and see the pounds shift). I often feel the way you do physically when starting out and can feel like quiting. As a mum of three, I think the most important thing is to love yourself as is then tackle the little things to make some improvments. Even if you carried on eating as 'normal' and perhaps tried smaller portions and add in some long walks you could create a calorie deficit. I personally like to think 'today will be better than yesterday' or build it up week for week. I stopped logging my food in September and managed to put on a stone and now have to work this off. There's no point in logging if you only log the good days ;)
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I agree with making sure you are getting enough protein. You may be losing a lot of water and could need some extra electrolytes. There's nothing wrong with checking with your doctor as well to ensure nothing else is going on. We all find it a bit of a challenge when we start out but if you are faint and weak that sounds like something more.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Wanted to add if you are exercising you should be eating those burned calories back, at least half. MFP is setup with a calorie goal if you do not exercise (just normal daily living based on your activity level). Like others have posted, I bet you aren't getting enough water and/or protein. Protein, even though it is not my fav, is what keeps me full longer.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Hey, I’m determined to lose my post baby weight, I have around 2 stone to lose. My daily calorie goal is 1490, which isn’t even that low, but I feel sick everyday, and so tired. Today I’m feeling a little faint and weak, is this normal to start with? When you’ve been used to a lot more calories over the previous months? I can’t actually believe how many calories are in certain things it’s really got me thinking about what I was eating, even things like mayonnaise and olive oil in cooking! Finding low calorie things that satisfy me I’m struggling with, I love cooked veg but not a fan of raw veg like salad etc!

Oddly enough...

...Have you tried just doing something like Veganuary?

I decided to give it a whirl after Christmas and eating all of the turkey and pigs in blankets in the world... And since then I can honestly say i've not missed meat at all and some days i'm actually having to force myself to eat more stuff.

Might help reset your tastebuds a little too.
  • minnelizzy
    minnelizzy Posts: 45 Member
    Drink a lot of water. Take a vitamin early/kid day. There’s nothing you can’t eat- just watch your portions, and plan ahead- really helping me.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited January 2020
    I think the first week can be really hard - at least I found that to be the case. If you made a drastic change in carbs, so that you're eating less than 100 grams of them, you may be losing a lot of water weight which can mess with electrolytes and make you tired. I'm currently eating at a deficit to cut a bit over a half pound a week. Given my age, height, & activity level before intentional exercise, MFP set me at 1300 calories but my body said that was a bit too little so I eat close to 1400 most days, and will "eat back" at least half intentional exercise calories to maintain a net intake around that level. I am still losing at the expected rate, so MFP's estimate was too low.

That's not a lot of food so I have found it important to maintain at least 80 g of protein a day and at least 35 g of fat a day (rest are carbs) to maintain energy. But I am not terribly active and certainly not parenting a child ... my suggestion to you is that you increase your calories. You may be underestimating your activity level so that MFP's setting is too low for you. If you think you're accurate with your activity estimate, set MFP for a half-pound weight loss instead. Because of hormone fluctuations over a month, you'll need to track for a month or so to see if you are losing at the expected rate.
  • laurachomski
    laurachomski Posts: 2 Member
    Personally, I focus more on getting use to the new healthy eat habits instead of trying to do all at the same time ( low my calories intake and do a lot of exercises at the same time).
    This is my first full week and I was able to maintain just 1000 calories per day with no problems or cravings.
    Just go slow but steady
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    How is your sleep?
  • mhassan160
    mhassan160 Posts: 312 Member

First of all if you breastfeeding don’t even think to cut calories under 2000 a day, I struggled at the first but start getting multi vitamins and drink lots of water, wish you luck in your journey.
  • KimWestingKuiper
    KimWestingKuiper Posts: 5 Member
    Eat more often! I feel the same way (sometimes) and when I eat 100 calories every hour instead of a big meal, I feel much better. It's so good for your metabolism too! Instead of eating a banana, granola and eggs at breakfast (just an example), spread it out over the course of 2 or 3 hours. Same for lunch, then have a reasonable dinner. Think of your body like a fire ... throwing large, big logs will make it burn hot and fast, but then it will fizzle out; but throwing kindling on it will keep it burning evenly for a long time.
  • MsGenXodus
    MsGenXodus Posts: 9 Member
    Did you log your meals before beginning your new health plan?
    I ask because you may have been accustomed to a lot more calories than you realized.

I'm not new to MFP, however, I've been ignoring it for a couple of years and am just getting back into the swing of things again. I logged my meals without judgement for a couple of weeks before I began planning how to take off that 25 pounds I've added to my frame over the last 5 years or so.

Then I made sure to plan my meals around the things I like and made edits to my diet to make sure I was getting the correct macros.

I don't have a lot to lose at just 25 pounds, but have managed to lose 6 lbs in 10 days once I could see where I needed to make changes to my diet. It's the tiny decisions you make every day that make the most difference. Having black tea or coffee instead of adding milk and sugar will save you a ton in calories. Switching to green tea with lemon will speed fat loss thanks to micronutrients in the tea.

Just keep logging. Don't let yourself get too hungry or weak. If you are hungry, eat some cheese or nuts to slake your hunger. Add in plenty of fiber to keep you feeling full longer. Try to avoid added sugar as much as possible. Also, avoid anything fried, white flour, and anything highly processed.

You're making a lifestyle change, give yourself some time to adjust to the new diet and don't assume that the algorithm knows what's best for you. It is a mindless machine, after all. It's your body that you need to listen to first.
  • Stiles321
    Stiles321 Posts: 6 Member
    Double check your daily calorie need (basic is your weightx12= maintenance calories minus 500 for each 1/2 lb) if your faint, make sure your adding back exercise calories
  • Definitely make sure you're eating good fats. Your body needs them, and they go a long way toward satiety.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited January 2020
    Why do you mention that you don’t like raw veg? Are you trying to make yourself eat them? Don’t. Are you afraid we will tell you to eat them? Don’t.
    If you like cooked veg, embrace them! It’s soup weather. Make your favorite veggie soups.
    If you’re just realizing how many more calories fat has than other foods, yes, it’s true. But don’t stop eating fat because of that. A little fat is important for your health.
    Don’t change your diet completely. Make more subtle changes. If you felt good with how you ate before, eat in a similar way.
    Are you VERY strict with your calorie goal? Always eat under? Your goal is not a number to go under, but a number to try to get close to eventually. If you go under by 100 one day, you need to aim for 100 over tomorrow to average it out. Think of it like playing darts. Always improving, trying for the bulls eye.
    Experience will help you find the correct macro split for YOU! Just think about the times you felt good or bad, and look at what you ate earlier that day and the day before. Learn from it.
    Good luck! Enjoy life! Enjoy what you’re eating!
    ETA Some days you will just go over. It’s okay. Don’t punish yourself. You’re not perfect, but you can be good. 70% is passing. 90% is an A. Be proud of how good you are, not mad at yourself for not being 100%.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    Honestly, it took me about 2-3 weeks to adjust to a new energy level. I do agree though that you'd be really surprised how much more energy you can get from a cup of blueberries or watermelon -- something that won't impact your logging much.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Shadowsan wrote: »

Oddly enough...

...Have you tried just doing something like Veganuary?

I decided to give it a whirl after Christmas and eating all of the turkey and pigs in blankets in the world... And since then I can honestly say i've not missed meat at all and some days i'm actually having to force myself to eat more stuff.

Might help reset your tastebuds a little too.

OP isn't having cravins for high-cal foods. OP is feeling faint and weak. I don't see how "resetting tastebuds" is going to help with that.